• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling School October 2013 intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBoyd

Hi there,

I start Signal training on 21st October (thanks in no small part to advice from this forum)

I was wondering if there was anyone else here that was starting too. Or anyone that had done it that had any advice?

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi Tom,

I am attending signalling school on 18th November, just had it confirmed today. Have you had any information on the timetable of the course? Where are you going to be working?

Jack

TomBoyd

My box is Steeple Claydon.

I'm trying to find out more from HR at the moment, as my start date is rapidly approaching (could be doing some stuff around Banbury next week), but they haven't got back to me yet...

I'm surprised they run courses so close together, makes me wonder how large the intake is each time

I think you should spend the week before you go to Leeds in a signal box. Intakes are usually 4-8 people I believe. Keep us posted if you find out anything more.

TomBoyd

I'm meant to be going to Banbury next week, but its all been a bit last minute on their end, so I'm still waiting for my paperwork and start date...

carriageline

Established Member
Congrats both of you!

Which schools are you both going to? I have recently completed school, so any questions just ask!

TomBoyd

I'm meant to be going to Leeds, waiting for paperwork now. Main questions are about the accom. Is it a hotel? Is there free parking?

Tomnick

Established Member
It'll be a hotel, and a pretty decent one at that. Parking's expensive, difficult and generally discouraged though - I'd wholeheartedly recommend travelling by train. The M1's usually far from an enjoyable (or quick) experience on a Monday morning approaching Leeds, or on a Friday afternoon for its whole length!

carriageline

Established Member
Your LOM should/could provide free train travel, ask him. My hotel had free parking for customers, give them a ring and ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

turbo mick

Hi guys

i had my interview for a signallers job the other week for a position at tvsc didcot grade 7
.Once they know how many vacancies they will have i will be informed.
I was told by the LOM that the training school will be in Bristol in the future

cheers

mick

Hi all,

I am in Doncaster TC for my training. I believe if you are training in Leeds you stay in the Jury's inn.

Training will eventually move to York but they are doing schools all over the country to fill as many jobs as they can.

I have finished my fourth week now and really enjoying it. Two weeks off for xmas then back into it.

TomBoyd

Dwayne speaks the truth, we're in the Jury's.

We're the last full course in the Leeds training centre before it moves up to York.

Its totally awesome.

TOCDriver

Nice hotel, the Jury's in Leeds. I have stayed there a couple of times on courses - food is excellent

Andrew32

I'm curious regarding this role

Can anyone provide me with more info?

Pay
Location of work
Qualifications needed
Etc etc

Never see this job advertised or considered it before, may be worth a go if my conductor application doesn't work out, due for interview on 9th January at leeds.

Tomnick

Established Member
Keep an eye on the vacancies section of the Network Rail website - jobs come up all over the country. Pay varies (roughly) from £25k-£40k depending upon grade, plus Sundays, other overtime and any flexibility premiums or London weighting. No specific qualifications needed - just the ability to pass the psychometric tests discussed elsewhere on here and get through the training!

Garzo1980

Cheers for info on this, still waiting for date but spoke to hr who have said all pre checks done, just wanna get going now on it..

TomBoyd

Not sure if this will work but... Try this...

There are currently 4 signalling jobs being externally advertised.

I have no dependents, so was free to apply all over the country. I have a job waiting for me in Milton Keynes after I finish training in Leeds.

If your funds are limited and you can't afford to move straight away (and you are willing to move) this job is ideal as it provides 3 months of pay with no expenditure while training (allowing you to save for a deposit etc).

The extra icing on the cake is that as soon as you are in, you have access to the internal job pool! There are at least twice as many jobs going on the internal pool, meaning you could move to a more convenient location fairly quickly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK, I don't think that link works, but just google 'Network Rail jobs' and search for Signaller! It has the job description and everything.

Tomnick helped me massively during my application, and I'd be happy to lend a hand with cover letter/cv etc.

mac

Don't forget most signaller jobs are due to go in the next few years so no longer a job for life

TomBoyd

To contextualise that, over the next 30-50 years the signalling corps will be reduced from 6400 to 1000.

From what I've been seeing and sensing, NR is looking for new blood for signalling to get rid of the older generation

carriageline

Established Member
It is a job for life, if you can get into these ROCs. The new traffic management system looks very interesting.

And I think they are hoping to have most of ROCs built and filled within 30 years, never mind 50! Lol!

The new application process (which should be live now (first week of December was advertised by HR) or very soon at least) seems very... interesting to say the least, even more so for existing signallers!! A lot I have spoken to will not be applying for new roles because of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loved being a signaller both grade 2 and 3 finished on ecml, I did signal school at Watford a few yrs ago. fantastic time
but has been said already signalling is not a job for life as most boxes will be gone by 2020 at the most, nwr have a job pool so you will be offered other jobs in the company , nwr is a great company to work for my grandfather was station master at Nottingham back in the day my uncle was a time keeper and my father was on section leader on pway for 36yrs, its just a matter of fact I ended up on the railway. ive now joined a foc as a trainee driver. enjoy your signalling school time and enjoy your railway life with the railway family :)

NX

Hi guys

i had my interview for a signallers job the other week for a position at tvsc didcot grade 7
.Once they know how many vacancies they will have i will be informed.
I was told by the LOM that the training school will be in Bristol in the future

cheers

mick

We're in the same boat mate, have you heard anything yet ?

NX

fatlad68

We're in the same boat mate, have you heard anything yet ?

NX

Same here, was told it would be mid January as they are waiting to see how many staff will transfer from Bristol before they know how many new vacancies they have.

kbreen

Hi, just discovered this forum and wanted to find out more about signalling school and found this thread. I've got my interview with the LOM tomorrow (wishful thinking i know!). I was under the impression signalling school was only based at Leeds (and in some cases watford)? After your offered the job as a signaller is there a long wait to start signalling school?

carriageline

Established Member
What vacancy you gone for?

The info on the vacancy is very out of date! Watford is shut now, and Leeds is meant to be closing this year. There is a few dotted around the country!

And depends on your start date, they might roll it into one. My sig school start date was a week after my NR start date, which seems to be the norm.

kbreen

Thanks for the info! Cuxton (Medway Valley Line), the signal box is right on the medway river so would be nice in the summer :). NR don't seem very speedy updating their information, is the signalling school 9 weeks or 12 weeks? (Sorry about all the questions)

carriageline

Established Member
Wow that was advertised a long time ago!! Cuxton is AB, so that's a 13 week course! Your not too far from me actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.