• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Silly 158/159 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
The 50s didn't last that long, they were replaced by 47s before the 159s entered service. What would have been the point of replacing the coaching stock on a short term basis?

Or indeed why replace Mk2 stock with Mk1s and a slower class of loco? I'm no fan of 50s but its quite obvious a type 4 is better than a type 3 on a decent length train over hilly terrain - certainly before they slowed the trains down hugely so that the sprinter's came in with over-hyped time improvements partly because they just took out all the slack they'd put in a year or so before!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

moonrakerz

Lived in Salisbury for a while, and I can't remember one of SWT's 159s going tech. The 158s on the Cardiff-Portsmouth route however... not fantastic. Much better now though.

Living on the Bristol - Salisbury route I have to agree wholeheartedly with that.
Given the choice, I always get the SWT 159 rather than the the FGW 158.

Another 158/159 difference - you can use the loo in the station on a 159 !

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Along with Moonrakerz, I tend to get the morning 159 from Trowbridge to Bristol if I can, or sometimes the last one back too. Though I don't complain a ride on 158798 or some ex-TPX 158 cars in a 158/9...if there's a spare seat!

Drsatan

Established Member
Why was there no attempt by the Southern Region to run a 4REP/4TC/Cl33.1 service along the line as they did for weymouth or to build some more DEMUs?

Until the 1980s the Southern Region did run 4TCs in push-pull formation with 33s on the London Waterloo - Salisbury all stations services.

Established Member
That's pretty much what I was saying! Wasn't there also a proposal to use Cl48 if any more subclasses of Cl47 appeared?

The 48 did exist, but there were only five of them, they had a different engine to the 47s.
IIRC, they were pretty unreliable and had been converted back to 47s within 5 or 6 years.

AndyLandy

Established Member
Wikipedia covers the difference between the 158 and the 159 quite succinctly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_159

The original 22 units were built as Class 158 units, but were rebuilt by Babcock Rail in Rosyth Dockyard before entering traffic. This entailed fitting first-class accommodation and retention toilets, and various other modifications. The rebuild was required because it was not possible for Network SouthEast and the newly privatised BREL to agree terms on the variation order to NSE specification.[11]

So, first class accommodation and retention toilets, apparently.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wikipedia covers the difference between the 158 and the 159 quite succinctly:

So, first class accommodation and retention toilets, apparently.

and not forgetting 'various other modifications' that wiki fails to describe.

...such as an additional brake step on the 159/0s at first conversion. This was later removed, I believe when the 170s were delivered to SWT.

...and the automatic leading cab door lockout system.

WillPS

Established Member
...and the automatic leading cab door lockout system.
Except that's not a differentiating factor any more either - SWT's 158s have modded in exactly the same way.

The same is also true of retention toilets.

I don't know what being "released in to traffic" means precisely, but there's a picture in a magazine of a NSE liveried 158 on a training run prior to conversion to 159.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Except that's not a differentiating factor any more either - SWT's 158s have modded in exactly the same way.

The same is also true of retention toilets.

I don't know what being "released in to traffic" means precisely, but there's a picture in a magazine of a NSE liveried 158 on a training run prior to conversion to 159.

But they were differentiating factors once the units had been delivered following conversion at Rosyth.

When the first 159/1 was unveiled to the public in P6 at Salisbury after the press run, various SWT management were available for Q&A.

I asked Mac Mackintosh (then the SWT engineering manager), if there was any major reason why the units were being renumbered and he confirmed it was solely for administrative convenience, and to aid depot operations when making up longer trains - so 159 = 3 car and 158 = 2 car; as someone noted earlier.

In the case of the SWT 158s, they had their unit numbers changed into a sequential group 880-890, supposedly so that 158/8 could be used as a shorthand designation for a retention tank fitted unit.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Can nobody answer my question of what each group of 158s was intended to work when ordered? Obviously the units that became 159s never ran the route they were ordered for by Regional Railways, but what was Regional Railways planning to use them for?

What I have so far, assuming wikipedia is correct, is:
  • 17x 3-car with Cummins 350hp engines - Intended for ??? Which route was lucky enough to have 3-car rather than 2-car units ordered for it?
  • 107x 2-car with Cummins 350hp engines - Obviously intended for everything not covered by the others
  • 48x 2-car with Perkins 350hp engines - Intended for ???
  • 10x 2-car with Cummins 400hp engines - intended to work the steeply graded Welsh Marches Line
  • 22x 3-car with Cummins 400hp engines - Intended for ??? Which route(s) did regional railways order these 3-car 400hp 158s for originally?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Can nobody answer my question of what each group of 158s was intended to work when ordered? Obviously the units that became 159s never ran the route they were ordered for by Regional Railways, but what was Regional Railways planning to use them for?

What I have so far, assuming wikipedia is correct, is:
[*]17x 3-car with Cummins 350hp engines - Intended for ??? Which route was lucky enough to have 3-car rather than 2-car units ordered for it?
The seventeen 3 carriage 158s were allocated to the Transpennine North network, principally the Newcastle services, from their introduction until they were displaced by 185s.
[*]48x 2-car with Perkins 350hp engines - Intended for ???
The 350hp Perkins engine fitted to 158815 to 158862 is the same power unit as is fitted to the Class 165 and 166 Network Turbos that were introduced not long after the 158s, in 1992/3. Either BR decided that it wanted to trial the Perkins power unit in a number of 158 units before deciding on using it for the Network Turbos, or for whatever reason BR decided to change suppliers towards the end of the 158 build: Perhaps Cummins stopped producing the 350hp power unit?

IIRC these units were split between Regional Railways Wales and West and Regional Railways Central, based at Cardiff Canton and Norwich Crown Point respectively.
[*]10x 2-car with Cummins 400hp engines - intended to work the steeply graded Welsh Marches Line
That is correct, these were the final 158s out of the standard batch to be introduced, 158863-872. They were operated by RR Wales and West for the Welsh Marches route and were allocated to Cardiff Canton along with all the other Welsh 158s.
[*]22x 3-car with Cummins 400hp engines - Intended for ??? Which route(s) did regional railways order these 3-car 400hp 158s for originally?
I've been told that the twenty two class 159s were not originally intended to be three carriage units as class 158s, only two car. The intermediate vehicles were only constructed after it was known that they were going to be taken on by NSE. With that being the case I do not know whether they were originally intended to be 400hp units or whether this was also something specified once it was known they were going to go to NSE. They would have been numbered 158873-158894 at any rate, the carriage numbers of the driving vehicles still demonstrate this.

CC 72100

Established Member
This seems like the perfect opportunity to ask something that's been bugging me, if it's not too off topic...

Do the 159/1s have specific diagrams (ie. they don't do EXD-WATs for example) as I very rarely see one down in Devon?

Fantastic units mind, such comfortable seats, just a shame that the aircon (I presume) is pretty noisy!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Thanks sprinterguy.

Updated list:
  • 17x 3-car with Cummins 350hp engines - For north Transpennine Express services
  • 107x 2-car with Cummins 350hp engines and 48x 2-car with Perkins 350hp engines - Intended for everything not covered by 3-car or 400hp units
  • 10x 2-car with Cummins 400hp engines - intended to work the steeply graded Welsh Marches Line
  • 22x 3-car with Cummins 400hp engines - Intended for ???

That is correct, these were the final 158s out of the standard batch to be introduced, 158863-872. They were operated by RR Wales and West for the Welsh Marches route and were allocated to Cardiff Canton along with all the other Welsh 158s.
That's interesting. I've asked that question elsewhere before and it was thought wikipedia was wrong since the Cambrian line was more steeply graded than the marches line. Seems odd they would order more powerful 158s for one steeply graded route, but not for another (even steeper) route.

I've been told that the twenty two class 159s were not originally intended to be three carriage units as class 158s, only two car. The intermediate vehicles were only constructed after it was known that they were going to be taken on by NSE. With that being the case I do not know whether they were originally intended to be 400hp units or whether this was also something specified once it was known they were going to go to NSE. They would have been numbered 158873-158894 at any rate, the carriage numbers of the driving vehicles still demonstrate this.
That's interesting. Suggests the following is wrong though:
wikipedia said:
The original 22 units were built as Class 158 units, but were rebuilt by Babcock Rail in Rosyth Dockyard before entering traffic. This entailed fitting first-class accommodation and retention toilets, and various other modifications. The rebuild was required because it was not possible for Network SouthEast and the newly privatised BREL to agree terms on the variation order to NSE specification.
If they couldn't agree on a variation order for the internals, how come they were able to agree a variation order to add additional carriages and maybe change the engines? If wikipedia's version of the story is correct (unlikely I know) then it sounds more likely they were planned be 3-car 400hp 158s before NSE decided to take them, but if so where would they have gone had NSE not nabbed them? TPE is probablly pretty steeply-graded, maybe there, with the 17 less powerful 3-car 158s being moved on?

sprinterguy

Established Member
That's interesting. I've asked that question elsewhere before and it was thought wikipedia was wrong since the Cambrian line was more steeply graded than the marches line. Seems odd they would order more powerful 158s for one steeply graded route, but not for another (even steeper) route.
I have a feeling that it was indeed the Cambrian line that those ten units were ordered for rather than the Welsh Marches, but I can't specifically remember. I'll check some historical sources later on.

If they couldn't agree on a variation order for the internals, how come they were able to agree a variation order to add additional carriages and maybe change the engines? If wikipedia's version of the story is correct (unlikely I know) then it sounds more likely they were planned be 3-car 400hp 158s before NSE decided to take them, but if so where would they have gone had NSE not nabbed them? TPE is probablly pretty steeply-graded, maybe there, with the 17 less powerful 3-car 158s being moved on?
I'm only going on what I've been told, and it is certainly true that the 159s originally emerged as NSE liveried 158s. There is a post on this webpage (The long one highlighted in grey) that potentially casts some light on the subject, but I cannot vouch for it's accuracy (For a start there never was a 158895, and the NSE spec design for the West of England route was meant to be Class 171): http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=8554.110;wap2

Additionally, there's a fascinating couple of pictures here of 159002 and 159020 stabled at Edinburgh Waverley:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert55012/6639644249/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert55012/6639648403/in/photostream/

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
This seems like the perfect opportunity to ask something that's been bugging me, if it's not too off topic...

Do the 159/1s have specific diagrams (ie. they don't do EXD-WATs for example) as I very rarely see one down in Devon?

Fantastic units mind, such comfortable seats, just a shame that the aircon (I presume) is pretty noisy!

The 159/0s and 159/1s have common diagrams.

starrymarkb

Established Member
That's interesting. Suggests the following is wrong though:

I believe that as the production run had already started on the planned 2 car sets, it was too late/costly to alter the spec (presumably BREL already had ordered components for the full build), but the centre cars as a new order could be accommodated (possibly with the driving cars being stored until they were ready)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I believe that as the production run had already started on the planned 2 car sets, it was too late/costly to alter the spec (presumably BREL already had ordered components for the full build), but the centre cars as a new order could be accommodated (possibly with the driving cars being stored until they were ready)
A possibility I suppose. That would have been an order for 22 more 400hp 2-car units then, if so where were they destined before the plans changed?

Bonemaster

Class 158s didn't run an the Cambrian until some years after introduction, it was still 150s back then which were then replaced by 156s in the early 1990s, and then by 158s in 2001. So there was no need to order a different specification for this as they only got them through cascades.

Helvellyn

Established Member
The 159 units were fitted with: -
  • Retention toilets
  • Additional hopper ventilators in case of air-con failures (rather prophetic!)
  • First class, including new design luggage stacks/partitions that saw the lugagge racks cut back to accommodate them.
  • Lock out system for the vestibule immediately behind the leading cab
  • Removal of the toilet in the MSL adjacent to the DMCL, providing a static area for the refreshment trolley (including, I think, a power supply).
  • Fitment of better quality tip-up seats opposite the remaining loo in the MSL and in the area where the trolley could be stabled (six in all, arranged in pairs).
  • Fitment, I believe, of paddle, short circuit bar and hook switch in each cab due to the units operating regularly over third rail routes.
  • According the Railway Centre website the Driver's Reminder Appliance (DRA) was repositioned in the cab

The Railway Centre also shows in this artists impression that NSE originally wanted a partition in First Class to create a six seat smoking bay.

As regards the Class 158 fleet, if I recall the original plan for the centre cars was to create some 3-car and 4-car units for use on ScotRail Express services. This plan changed as the units were being built, and the MSL vehicles ended up being used to create 3-car units for use on Trans-Pennine services. If I can find the 1988 Platform 5 combined edition I'll try and see what the formations they had down were. If I also recall, 158701-814 were the original order, then a follow on order was made by Regional Railways for the units 158815 and above. One way the second batch units could be differentiated was by the fact that they did not have EXPRESS titling cut into the two blue bands below the windows adjacent to the doors by the cabs, as 158701-814 did.

I haven't noticed too much mention of 158901-910 either in this thread. They were a separate order by WYPTE for their sponsered Trans Pennine services. Whilst built under the same lot numbers as all the other 158/159 vehicles there were some minor differences in these units, hence the sub-class. They only have one toilet per unit (a disabled one) so are formed DMSL-DMS, and had two extra seats in each vehicle due to the larger luggage racks that took up the space of a pair of seats not being fitted. WYPTE had also ordered an extra 7 155 units for their services, which is why 155341-155347 are still with us and weren't rebuilt as 153 units like the Regional Railways owned units (153301-155335).

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Thanks sprinterguy.

Updated list:
  • 17x 3-car with Cummins 350hp engines - For north Transpennine Express services
  • 107x 2-car with Cummins 350hp engines and 48x 2-car with Perkins 350hp engines - Intended for everything not covered by 3-car or 400hp units
  • 22x 3-car with Cummins 400hp engines - Intended for ???

Right, I’ve been doing some reading.

The twenty two units that became class 159s were originally specced by Regional Railways (Provincial Services as it was then) as three carriage, 400hp engine class 158s. The reasons why Regional Railways received 158s with three different engine specifications is explained further down this post.

It was due to the economic downturn that the manager of Regional Railways at the time, Gordon Pettitt found that he could spare sixty vehicles from the class 158 order by tightening up allocations and by denying the new trains to some of the more marginal routes intended to receive 158s. NSE wanted sixty nine vehicles for the West of England route. Regional Railways found that they could spare sixty six carriages if NSE took responsibility for the Oxford to Worcester Cotswolds services, which meant that the class 166 order (Known at the time as class 165/2) was expanded from a total of 54 vehicles to 60, and eventually ended up totalling 63. And so 22 x 3-car class 158s went to NSE as 159s.

Now of course, what we ended up with was 182 class 158s (Including 17 three carriage units) and 22 three carriage class 159s, giving a total of 447 carriages. The original class 158 order was as follows:

229 vehicles were ordered in two initial batches in quick succession in 1988.
62 carriages: The first 62 carriages were destined for Scotrail. Edinburgh to Glasgow was the first route the 158s were allocated to, followed by Edinburgh/Glasgow to Aberdeen and then finally Edinburgh/Glasgow to Inverness. The Edinburgh to Glasgow route was originally destined to receive TEN three carriage 158s, in connection with the introduction of the 15 minute frequency on the route: So 16 x 2 car units and 10 x 3 car units.
48 carriages: The next 24 2-car units were allocated to “Midland Express” duties as they were known, and were to be based at Norwich Crown Point for Norwich to Liverpool and Birmingham to Cardiff.
48 carriages: A further order of 24 2-car units were destined for Transpennine North services, originally to be introduced to service by May 1990.
46 carriages: 23 2-car units were to be allocated to Cardiff Canton for Birmingham/Liverpool/Manchester/Portsmouth trains.
16 carriages: It is interesting to note that right from the beginning eight 2-car units were allocated to the Glasgow & South Western route for Glasgow and Newcastle/Carlisle to Stranrear services for Scotrail!
9 carriages: The final 9 carriages for this order were also for Scotland, for the Inverness to Aberdeen route: Interestingly, this uneven number of carriages suggests that the request was for 3 x 3-car units.

Next came an order for a third batch of 158s totalling 138 carriages. These were intended for the following routes:

Cardiff & Worcester to Birmingham (Presumably providing additional carriages to those above)
Birmingham – Nottingham – Lincoln
Newark to Cleethorpes
Sheffield to Hull
Didcot – Oxford – Hereford – Worcester
Cardiff to Penzance
Cardiff to Gloucester
Nottingham to Blackpool
Leeds/Bradford to Manchester “Calder Vale” services
Hereford to Worcester to Birmingham
York to Hull
Newcastle to Carlisle “Tyne Valley”
Coventry – Leicester – Nottingham

Now clearly quite a lot of these routes (and a couple of the others listed further up the page) never received their 158s, so it’s easy to see where the spare capacity in the fleet came from.

Finally, a fourth batch of 56 additional class 158 vehicles was ordered in April 1989. This gave a total of 423 carriages. From an early stage Scotrail had been pushing for an extra twenty 2-car 158s on top of it’s original “Scotrail Express” order for 26 units, and it got them, so that it ended up with 46 class 158s, but without any 3-carriage units and without the additional units that were ordered specifically for the Glasgow & South Western or the Aberdeen to Inverness routes.

West Yorkshire “Metro-Train” then finished up the order with their ten 2-carriage 158/9s, although previously they had been expected to order “between 7 and 20” class 156s instead. That gives a total of 443 carriages, so four carriages have clearly gotten lost in the mix of what was announced at the time.

The reason that three different engine specifications were fitted to the 158s was because, after Cummins had secured the contract to supply the engines for all of BRs’ Sprinter classes, BR began working with Perkins in order to support British industry to design the Perkins 2006-TWH engine in order to stimulate competition in the rail industry by promoting dual-sourcing of power units. The Perkins power unit was trialled in 154001, 150001 renumbered, before Perkins successfully bid for two separate contracts to provide the engines for the later batch of 158s and for the Network Turbos. Cummins response to this competition was to up their game and produce the higher powered 400hp power unit marketed towards routes with steeper climbs where the additional power would be of benefit. And so the 400hp Cummins engine was fitted to ten 2-car 158s which plied the Welsh Marches and twenty two 3-car units that became the 159s.

Phew, so there you have it. And all that information has been gleaned from articles in issues of Modern Railways between 1989 and 1991, so I should hope that it is pretty definitive!

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Well done researching that, thanks for your help. So the 350hp 3-car units were originally meant for Scotrail, but TPE got them instead? The only peice of missing information seems to be which of the routes you listed would have got the 3-car 400hp units if they had not been taken for NSE instead.

dubscottie

Right, I’ve been doing some reading.

The twenty two units that became class 159s were originally specced by Regional Railways (Provincial Services as it was then) as three carriage, 400hp engine class 158s. The reasons why Regional Railways received 158s with three different engine specifications is explained further down this post.

It was due to the economic downturn that the manager of Regional Railways at the time, Gordon Pettitt found that he could spare sixty vehicles from the class 158 order by tightening up allocations and by denying the new trains to some of the more marginal routes intended to receive 158s. NSE wanted sixty nine vehicles for the West of England route. Regional Railways found that they could spare sixty six carriages if NSE took responsibility for the Oxford to Worcester Cotswolds services, which meant that the class 166 order (Known at the time as class 165/2) was expanded from a total of 54 vehicles to 60, and eventually ended up totalling 63. And so 22 x 3-car class 158s went to NSE as 159s.

Now of course, what we ended up with was 182 class 158s (Including 17 three carriage units) and 22 three carriage class 159s, giving a total of 447 carriages. The original class 158 order was as follows:

229 vehicles were ordered in two initial batches in quick succession in 1988.
62 carriages: The first 62 carriages were destined for Scotrail. Edinburgh to Glasgow was the first route the 158s were allocated to, followed by Edinburgh/Glasgow to Aberdeen and then finally Edinburgh/Glasgow to Inverness. The Edinburgh to Glasgow route was originally destined to receive TEN three carriage 158s, in connection with the introduction of the 15 minute frequency on the route: So 16 x 2 car units and 10 x 3 car units.
48 carriages: The next 24 2-car units were allocated to “Midland Express” duties as they were known, and were to be based at Norwich Crown Point for Norwich to Liverpool and Birmingham to Cardiff.
48 carriages: A further order of 24 2-car units were destined for Transpennine North services, originally to be introduced to service by May 1990.
46 carriages: 23 2-car units were to be allocated to Cardiff Canton for Birmingham/Liverpool/Manchester/Portsmouth trains.
16 carriages: It is interesting to note that right from the beginning eight 2-car units were allocated to the Glasgow & South Western route for Glasgow and Newcastle/Carlisle to Stranrear services for Scotrail!
9 carriages: The final 9 carriages for this order were also for Scotland, for the Inverness to Aberdeen route: Interestingly, this uneven number of carriages suggests that the request was for 3 x 3-car units.

Next came an order for a third batch of 158s totalling 138 carriages. These were intended for the following routes:

Cardiff & Worcester to Birmingham (Presumably providing additional carriages to those above)
Birmingham – Nottingham – Lincoln
Newark to Cleethorpes
Sheffield to Hull
Didcot – Oxford – Hereford – Worcester
Cardiff to Penzance
Cardiff to Gloucester
Nottingham to Blackpool
Leeds/Bradford to Manchester “Calder Vale” services
Hereford to Worcester to Birmingham
York to Hull
Newcastle to Carlisle “Tyne Valley”
Coventry – Leicester – Nottingham

Now clearly quite a lot of these routes (and a couple of the others listed further up the page) never received their 158s, so it’s easy to see where the spare capacity in the fleet came from.

Finally, a fourth batch of 56 additional class 158 vehicles was ordered in April 1989. This gave a total of 425 carriages. From an early stage Scotrail had been pushing for an extra twenty 2-car 158s on top of it’s original “Scotrail Express” order for 26 units, and it got them, so that it ended up with 46 class 158s, but without any 3-carriage units and without the additional units that were ordered specifically for the Glasgow & South Western or the Aberdeen to Inverness routes.

West Yorkshire “Metro-Train” then finished up the order with their ten 2-carriage 158/9s, although previously they had been expected to order “between 7 and 20” class 156s instead. That gives a total of 445 carriages, so two carriages have clearly gotten lost in the mix of what was announced at the time.

The reason that three different engine specifications were fitted to the 158s was because, after Cummins had secured the contract to supply the engines for all of BRs’ Sprinter classes, BR began working with Perkins in order to support British industry to design the Perkins 2006-TWH engine in order to stimulate competition in the rail industry by promoting dual-sourcing of power units. The Perkins power unit was trialled in 154001, 150001 renumbered, before Perkins successfully bid for two separate contracts to provide the engines for the later batch of 158s and for the Network Turbos. Cummins response to this competition was to up their game and produce the higher powered 400hp power unit marketed towards routes with steeper climbs where the additional power would be of benefit. And so the 400hp Cummins engine was fitted to ten 2-car 158s which plied the Welsh Marches and twenty two 3-car units that became the 159s.

Phew, so there you have it. And all that information has been gleaned from articles in issues of Modern Railways between 1989 and 1991, so I should hope that it is pretty definitive!

Thanks! You saved me posting it! You cant beat the old Modern Railways mags!! (have 100's and RAIL when it was worth buying)

Only one thing to add is that 2 cars were ordered to replace the 2 Class 150 vehicles lost to accidents. Don't know where they were slotted in.

Also there is one car that was scrapped but a replacement was built form a spare bodyshell. One of the former Cardiff sets IIRC. One in the 83X or 86X numbers.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
If they did this now there would be three different classes none of which could work together....

Status
Not open for further replies.