• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleeper trains: Individual sleeping pods or sharing a cabin with a stranger. Which is more preferable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
The issue in the UK was the reversal, though the safety regs are often looser out there. They are fine with feet in the direction of travel.

I suppose having the individual portions go for a jaunt round the Sub could theoretically fix that for the Highlander.

The Lowlander would present more of a challenge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainbike46

Established Member
Some of the OEBB nightjet trains also have reversals!
If we could fit pods like the nightjet ones within a Mark 5 that would be amazing (even if we could only do 2 above each other instead of 3), because single travellers would be able to lie down, have privacy and be stacked more densely

Veteran Member
Some of the OEBB nightjet trains also have reversals!
If we could fit pods like the nightjet ones within a Mark 5 that would be amazing (even if we could only do 2 above each other instead of 3), because single travellers would be able to lie down, have privacy and be stacked more densely
The NJ pods are only 2 high - as are the 4-berth couchettes.

Mikey C

Established Member
No-one was ever forced to share with a stranger. You always had a perfectly free choice: share with a stranger and pay less, or have your own cabin and pay more. What's changed is that the former option has been taken away.
No way would I rent a 2 person cabin just for solo use, it's too expensive. And being in a seat all night is too uncomfortable.

That's the problem with the current arrangement, it misses out the middle market of people who just want some sort of affordable lie flat bed.

Bartsimho

Does anyone know of a measured internal plan of the Caledonian Sleeper Carriage as I want to see how many pods could be fitted in?

Speed43125

Does anyone know of a measured internal plan of the Caledonian Sleeper Carriage as I want to see how many pods could be fitted in?
Couple of diagrams here.

XAM2175

Established Member
No-one was ever forced to share with a stranger. You always had a perfectly free choice: share with a stranger and pay less, or have your own cabin and pay more. What's changed is that the former option has been taken away.
From a revenue perspective the option creates a potential weakness: the willing-to-share crowd can gamble on getting solo occupancy for the shared-occupancy rate if they manage to book early. As the train fills and vacant cabins are booked up, passengers unwilling to share can end up having to choose between sharing or taking a different train - and this is especially the case in a market like GB where sharing is the minority choice.

Remove the option and not only does the discount lottery go away, but the experience for non-sharing passengers is effectively improved because pricing the cheapskates into the seats, or off the train entirely, creates additional cabin availability.

There is a possible "middle ground" of charging solo rate but offering a partial refund if the cabin does end up actually being shared, but this has a higher administrative burden and regardless is unlikely to be popular because it doesn't offer the fixed cheap price.

popeter45

Couple of diagrams here.

the annoying thing is in that list is a middle ground solution with the pod bed idea

XAM2175

Established Member
Only if beds are regularly going unsold.
Rooms aren't regularly going unsold, but are what % of rooms have two occupants?

mods note - The next 41 posts from this point have been moved from the Caledonian Sleeper thread.

If they're occupied by one person who doesn't want to share with you then the empty bunk effectively doesn't exist.

trebor79

Established Member
Being able to share with strangers would seem like and obvious way to increase revenue, reduce the subsidy requirement and make it a more affordable option all at the same time. Could be as simple as a tick box when booking to indicate you either are or are not happy to share, with a lower priced charged for sharers.

Established Member
Being able to share with strangers would seem like and obvious way to increase revenue, reduce the subsidy requirement and make it a more affordable option all at the same time. Could be as simple as a tick box when booking to indicate you either are or are not happy to share, with a lower priced charged for sharers.

No doubt the inevitable “I was robbed/sexually assaulted on the Caledonian Sleeper” headlines are regarded too much of a reputational risk these days.

Davester50

Sharing with strangers is never coming back. Too much of a minefield for Serco.

trebor79

Established Member
Sharing with strangers is never coming back. Too much of a minefield for Serco.
Serco are being booted soon though aren't they. GWR seem to manage it without issue on the Night Riviera (or at least were when I last used it).

Davester50

Serco are being booted soon though aren't they. GWR seem to manage it without issue on the Night Riviera (or at least were when I last used it).
I've not used it in years, so don't know, but a comment on Business Traveller says it's no longer permitted.
In the UK, sharing in a sleeper just won't come back. Way too many issues.

trebor79

Established Member
I've not used it in years, so don't know, but a comment on Business Traveller says it's no longer permitted.
In the UK, sharing in a sleeper just won't come back. Way too many issues.
I don't understand what there "issues" are? It worked fine for decades and still works fine on the continent.
I think the issues are largely in the imagination of the management.

Davester50

Established Member
I don't understand what there "issues" are? It worked fine for decades and still works fine on the continent.
I think the issues are largely in the imagination of the management.

As above, the non negligible risk of robbery, sexual assault. Have “same sex” sharer cabins? That’s a minefield too!

Easier just not to do it.

trebor79

Established Member
As above, the non negligible risk of robbery, sexual assault. Have “same sex” sharer cabins? That’s a minefield too!

Easier just not to do it.
But if I tick a box to say I'm fully aware of those (IMV negligible but non-zero) risks, what's the issue?

12LDA28C

Established Member
I suggest you search for the fall out the last time.

We don't live decades ago.

Good for them.

Very much not the case.

And yet somehow you can book to share a room / dormitory at a hostel for the night in the UK with any number of strangers, or are you saying that's inappropriate / unsafe also?

Established Member
But if I tick a box to say I'm fully aware of those (IMV negligible but non-zero) risks, what's the issue?

If something ends up happening it won’t stop the headlines and inevitable accusations they strangers shouldn’t be allowed to share. I agree it’s a little OTT, but that’s the world we live in.

It appears from a previous discussion on here that GWR doesn’t allow sharers, at least unofficially (some of the participants might be familiar ;) ):

12LDA28C

Established Member
Where am I saying that?
I'm saying that CS and GWR won't do sharing again, and those reasons as have been discussed ad infinitum.

I'm asking what's the difference, in your opinion between sharing a berth with a stranger and sharing a hostel room with multiple strangers. Why is one acceptable and one not?

Davester50

I'm asking what's the difference, in your opinion between sharing a berth with a stranger and sharing a hostel room with multiple strangers. Why is one acceptable and one not?
It's not up to me. It's up to CS.
Their toybox, their rules.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Sharing with one stranger is more dangerous than with multiple because there is nobody to intervene or witness should a person attack the only other occupant.

Status
Not open for further replies.