• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slight changes you would make to liveries to make them nicer

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.o.R

A slight change I'd make to LNWR is to have the dark green wrap around the ends of the coaches.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Probably not a popular idea but return to the old 3 liveries as used by Stagecoach for South West Trains so red for Metro, blue for outer suburban and white for long distance.

Equally get rid of the Gatwick Express livery and replace with the basic Southern livery with the wording Express being optional.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Equally get rid of the Gatwick Express livery and replace with the basic Southern livery with the wording Express being optional.
As a hater of the Southern livery and quite a fan of the GX livery (the modern one; the one on the 442s was awful), I have to disagree with you.

Logan Carroll

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but the Caledonian Sleeper Mk 5 livery where the decals block one of the windows if an obvious choice.

Why you would impair passenger enjoyment to have a livery a specific way is beyond me.

It’s like the IRL version of a website redesign for the sake of redesign that is actively worse than what came before it.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but the Caledonian Sleeper Mk 5 livery where the decals block one of the windows if an obvious choice.

Why you would impair passenger enjoyment to have a livery a specific way is beyond me.

It’s like the IRL version of a website redesign for the sake of redesign that is actively worse than what came before it.
Completely agree. It's the same as vinyls over bus windows. The work of Satan.

Aictos

Established Member
As a hater of the Southern livery and quite a fan of the GX livery (the modern one; the one on the 442s was awful), I have to disagree with you.
The reasoning behind my thought was my opinion that as the airport travel can be catered by the existing Southern and Thameslink services which by the way is actually acknowledged by them on their timetable changes page for the December TT changes and as the Brighton Mainline is already congested as it is, maybe it's time to phase out the Gatwick Express branding/livery over time and just replace it with the Southern branding/livery.

Of course I could go into more detail on how this would impact passengers but that's a time for another thread.

As to the Southern livery, it's simply basic and looks good on any of the fleet that it doesn't actually need any modifications.

py_megapixel

Established Member
This thread hasn't seen a post in a few weeks now, but I had another idea... possibly someone with much better Photoshop skills than me could produce a 323 and/or a 333 with Northern Electrics branding?

TXMISTA

My suggestion is simple. I would paint all non-yellow front ends yellow (excluding LU and LO). British trains with black fronts make me uncomfortable

najaB

Veteran Member
My suggestion is simple. I would paint all non-yellow front ends yellow (excluding LU and LO). British trains with black fronts make me uncomfortable
I agree with you, but the authorities have decided that they aren't needed with the high-intensity lights. I guess time will tell if they were right or not.

JKF

I agree with you, but the authorities have decided that they aren't needed with the high-intensity lights. I guess time will tell if they were right or not.

can the authorities come up with some light-based solution that would do away the need for contrast colours for doors? That requirement spoils a lot of good liveries and interupts the sleekness of various go-faster stripes. Maybe some slim LEDs outlining the door opening, could even have them changing colour (green when open, orange about to close, red when shut and locked). These can deactivate if a train is stabled or when in motion.

najaB

Veteran Member
can the authorities come up with some light-based solution that would do away the need for contrast colours for doors? That requirement spoils a lot of good liveries and interupts the sleekness of various go-faster stripes. Maybe some slim LEDs outlining the door opening, could even have them changing colour (green when open, orange about to close, red when shut and locked). These can deactivate if a train is stabled or when in motion.
Colour-changing LEDs are more expensive, require more maintenance and are more likely to fail in service than a paint job.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think the GWR IETs would look better with the yellow end panel replaced but the same grey that Hull Trains uses. Dark green and bright yellow aren't a great mix.

Domh245

Established Member
This thread hasn't seen a post in a few weeks now, but I had another idea... possibly someone with much better Photoshop skills than me could produce a 323 and/or a 333 with Northern Electrics branding?

I present, monstrosities in mauve:

1608741259973.png(original image link)

1608741241195.png (original image link)

Bit of a lazy edit as the blue swooshes on the 319s were much shorter (and I've not put the stickers on), but given the similarity to the current northern livery I ain't moving it around!

I think the GWR IETs would look better with the yellow end panel replaced but the same grey that Hull Trains uses. Dark green and bright yellow aren't a great mix.

Something like this?

1608742022083.png (original image link)

Energy

Established Member
Thank you for photo shopping it. Although the liveries of the previous Northern franchise are pretty terrible in my opinion, the 333s, electrics and default one all look horrible.

Azzy49

Wow I do like the northern units! Could you maybe do a HST in the Northern Electric livery. Or any sort of Livery on a 373/374 that you guys fancy.

Goldfish62

Established Member

View attachment 87545(original image link)

View attachment 87544 (original image link)

Bit of a lazy edit as the blue swooshes on the 319s were much shorter (and I've not put the stickers on), but given the similarity to the current northern livery I ain't moving it around!

Something like this?

View attachment 87546 (original image link)
Thanks. Maybe that doesn't look too great - the green is just too drab. Perhaps the door colour on the front.

TXMISTA

I respectfully disagree. I think the yellow panels add character to the GWR IETs. I find the Hull Trains ones very bland without the yellow fronts.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I respectfully disagree. I think the yellow panels add character to the GWR IETs. I find the Hull Trains ones very bland without the yellow fronts.
My problem with the yellow is that it's not part of the livery or overall brand, unlike, eg, SWR, Merseyrail or Eurostar. It jars with my aesthetic sensibilities as much as painting the bonnet of my black car yellow.

py_megapixel

Established Member
We're leaving slight change territory, but Hull Trains I would just rip up and start again. It looks like Dynamic Lines but instead of painting on the lines properly, they were just slapped on lazily and then had a few rounds of sticking on sellotape and peeling it off, taking some of the paintwork with it!
I can think of very few worse looking modern liveries.

Status
Not open for further replies.