• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Service Changes 25/02/18 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
According to SWR website, they are no longer planning to introduce a snow plan tomorrow, which is a change from a few hours ago:

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/live-departures-and-arrivals

The snow has definitely been a bit weird today in my neck of the woods (edge of the South West "Red" zone); anywhere theres an angle its been forming drifts and it seems to be somewhat "drier" than previously experienced snowfalls.
There is now very much a snow plan confirmed.

There is NO SERVICE on the entire West of England route (Salisbury/Exeter), between Bournemouth and Weymouth, Dorking branch, Chessington branch, or Hounslow loop services. (Weybridge/Reading via Hounslow services will run as booked.)

Additional peak time changes are:

AM Peak

2L14 (0554 Basingstoke to Waterloo) terminates at Woking
1W55 (0755 Waterloo to Weymouth) starts from Woking
2L22 (0752 Basingstoke to Waterloo) terminates at Woking
1T21 (0909 Waterloo to Portsmouth Hbr) starts from Woking
2P22 (0655 Portsmouth Hbr to Waterloo) CANCELLED
1P23 (0930 Waterloo to Portsmouth Hbr) CANCELLED
1G18 (0642 Portsmouth Hbr to Waterloo) terminates at Guildford
2D92 (0722 Epsom to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2J10 (0623 Hampton Court to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2D09 (0709 Waterloo to Epsom) CANCELLED
2D94 (0754 Epsom to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2J92 (0922 Raynes Park to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2D96 (0822 Epsom to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2H17 (0912 Waterloo to Shepperton) starts from Raynes Park at 0931
2C07 (0550 Waterloo to Reading) CANCELLED
2C90 (0723 Reading to Waterloo) CANCELLED
1C89 (0653 Ascot to Reading) CANCELLED
2C18 (0742 Reading to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2G13 (0803 Waterloo to Guildford) CANCELLED
2J90 (0710 Esher to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2R90 (0531 Hounslow to Waterloo) will run as booked
2R02 (0601 Hounslow to Waterloo) will run as booked
2V05 (0648 Hounslow to Waterloo) will run as booked

2H90 (0523 Shepperton to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2O07 (0633 Waterloo to Waterloo) starts from strawberry hill at 0707.
2H92 (0700 Shepperton to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2H87 (0707 Fulwell to Shepperton) CANCELLED
2H94 (0730 Shepperton to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2H95 (0727 Twickenham to Shepperton) CANCELLED
2H96 (0800 Shepperton to Waterloo) CANCELLED

PM Peak

2H93 (1743 Waterloo to Shepperton) CANCELLED
2H60 (1836 Shepperton to Waterloo) CANCELLED
1H56 (1731 Strawberry Hill to Waterloo) CANCELLED
2H95 (0727 Waterloo to Shepperton) starts from strawberry hill at 1841
2H97 (1843 Waterloo to Shepperton) CANCELLED
2D97 (1901 Waterloo to Epsom) CANCELLED

Class83

That crossed my mind too, but maybe NR aren't confident of getting the line open during the night with weather conditions seemingly worsening once again in that area?

I suppose come morning light if things are looking better we may see services re-instated again.

Not sure I'd want to be driving the plough tonight in the dark, but surely give it a go at 7.30am before cancelling. It's like the hokey cokey with cancellations. Websites saying one thing, twitter another.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Southeastern have relented and are now going to run a shuttle service between Dover and Ramsgate.

Also buses between Dover and Faversham. Plus Sheerness and Medway valley lines.
With so many schools shut I would imagine there are a few school coaches and drivers spare?

sarahj

Established Member
Yes, but what we all want to know, sarahj, is whether you enjoyed the model railway exhibition? :)
Very off topic, but it was cold and DB were a mess due to it.
Why do you think I was there for that???? Honestly!!!!!

It was very good, I was there from 14.00 until 20.45
And yes, I was only at Harburg to spot, bloody freezing, but when a departmental 120 goes through when you get there it;s worth the cold. Got a nice, cheap hotel. Walking distance from the station. Mind this was outside, so some could mix wunderland, spotting and some hand work on their trips I guess?

Attachments

• IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 133

Three-Nine

There is now very much a snow plan confirmed.

There is NO SERVICE on the entire West of England route (Salisbury/Exeter), between Bournemouth and Weymouth, Dorking branch, Chessington branch, or Hounslow loop services. (Weybridge/Reading via Hounslow services will run as booked.)

Yes, weather conditions have scuppered the original plan. I've never seen anything like it, heavy snow followed by freezing rain on top of it.

cuccir

Established Member
An obviously frustrated guard on the 06:15 Doncaster-Newcastle VTEC service has been announcing that the Trainline's website has been giving out duff information claiming that Virgin are going north of Newcastle; they're not!

westv

Established Member
As expected my VTEC service this evening has been cancelled. I have an AP ticket but I'm assuming I'm best turning up at Kings X lunchtime, jumping on board the first service I see to Doncaster and then waiting for a Northern service to Hull.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Nearly all of the Birmingham-Hereford services have been cancelled this morning, though I notice some services towards Birmingham have been diverted after Droitwich to run via Kidderminster. Unlike normal diversions however, the trains aren't then using Smethwick West Jct to access New St, but are continuing towards Snow Hill (see 1M55 is pic below). Does anyone know if the services in the reverse direction are operating on a similar principle — I need to use the service later ideally so any info would be appreciated?

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 57

infobleep

Veteran Member
According to SWR website, they are no longer planning to introduce a snow plan tomorrow, which is a change from a few hours ago:

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/live-departures-and-arrivals

The snow has definitely been a bit weird today in my neck of the woods (edge of the South West "Red" zone); anywhere theres an angle its been forming drifts and it seems to be somewhat "drier" than previously experienced snowfalls.
I found that out this morning. Fortunately before I went to the station, hoping to catch a train service that only runs during the emergency timetable.

It still refers to their last meeting at 11am yesterday, online and there is no reference to them having ever considered and announced an emergency timetable. It's as if it never existed. Still they would have advised people on Twitter of their change of mind.

It does mean however that some metro services are not running at all, e.g. the Chessington Branch is getting no service but with the emergency timetable it would. Still there will always be winners and losers and they are allowed to travel on the 71 bus. In fact travel is even allowed on the K2. I don't know if that goes near any of the Chessington route or whether that is just to cover Berrylands, which today is open, as the Hampton Court services have resumed.

The great winner or reprieve is the Weybridge to Virgina Water route, as that is running today but with an emergency timetable it wouldn't. With an emergency timetable otherlines get prioritised over that but with an amended bad weather timetable, that gets prioritised over other lines!

I did at least download a few of the timetables yesterday. Can't be to often timetables get published that aren't used.

I must thank all the staff for their hard working during this unpredictable but fascinating weather times.

Wirewiper

Sea Wall at Dawlish has been damaged this morning. All trains currently suspended between Exeter and Newton Abbot. An inspection is scheduled for 10.00 and services may resume at midday.

No alternative road transport will be provided as most roads in the area are impassable. The local Police Superintendent has requested, with some exasperation, that motorists take a more literal interpretation of the word "essential". Tickets won't be accepted on local buses in the area as there aren't any running for them to be accepted on.

GWR will accept today's tickets for travel on Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Are the same planners that would be working on the very late May timetables also the ones now distracted this week trying to rebuild a snow service?

Kite159

Veteran Member

There goes my idea of going for a little walk later to photograph some trains passing Grateley at speed.

I note on RTT it seems at least one train got caught out west of Salisbury during the snow storm (although at least it stopped at Yeovil Junction): http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W90724/2018/03/01/advanced

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
I would ask how busy the restricted VTEC service from London is likely to be but I'm assuming that's not a question that can be answered right now.

Romilly

Established Member
An obviously frustrated guard on the 06:15 Doncaster-Newcastle VTEC service has been announcing that the Trainline's website has been giving out duff information claiming that Virgin are going north of Newcastle; they're not!

Although as at 11pm last night, even VTEC's own website was promising an hourly service today between London and Edinburgh starting with the 8am departure from Kings X and the 10.30am departure from Waverley.

Dolive22

No reason why they should, in fact in snowy weather a heavy freight in front a passenger is better, pushing through any drifts that have appeared, which today are many ! Plus a points failure cannot be predicted, one minute they work, then the next they don't ! Today we have used a set of points from normal to reverse time and time again for various moves, then all of a sudden they failed to go over, no warning, this stopped the passenger dead in it's tracks, and a freight stuck behind, so works both ways

It was my understanding that the purpose of the classification of trains detailed in section 6 of TW1 was to enable priority to be accorded by signallers to higher priority trains (generally lower numbers, class 373 having been added at 9 after the system was set up), hence the lowest number being nominated post and parcel trains (I want to say it is the Irish Mail, probably because I've been tucked up inside nice and warm with Red For Danger), passenger expresses, snow ploughs, OHE and breakdown trains going to clear the line, and rescue trains. Followed by ordinary passenger services, then parcels and special freight, fast freight, ECS, and progressively slower freight.

Wikipedia reckons what I call special freight used to be fish trains, and newspaper trains used to rank with passenger expresses and trains going to clear the line.

TUC

Established Member
Anyone know the position with TPE's cross-pennine services? RTT is showing a series of cancellations of these to/from Manchester Airport, but TPE's website is pretty much purely focussed on the Preston/Scotland disruptions.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Now separate thread here for the New Forest stranded passengers incident.

cuccir

Established Member
Anyone know the position with TPE's cross-pennine services? RTT is showing a series of cancellations of these to/from Manchester Airport, but TPE's website is pretty much purely focussed on the Preston/Scotland disruptions.

There were quite a few cancellations through the night and early morning but things are starting to improve.

Liverpool-Newcastle running now as a normal service. Hull services are terminating short from Manchester at Leeds. So there should be at least 2tph Manchester-Leeds

Slightly random mixture of cancellations and short workings on other Manchester-North Yorkshire/Teeside services, as stock and staff are all out of place; quite a few trains are terminating at Piccadilly rather than the Airport, and at the other end a few are doing York-Middlesbrough though that seems disrupted.

Sheffield-Manchester was completely shut but they're now running and aiming to return to a normal timetable - though obviously there'll be a lot of cancellations.

No trains at Yarm at all!

Muzer

Established Member
Basingstoke-London commuter here, I decieded to work from home today after opening Journeycheck and seeing 150 cancelled trains!

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I've got an advance ticket from Preston to Bristol today, presume I'll be ok to use this tomorrow as CrossCountry trains from Birmingham to the South West are cancelled until further notice

LAX54

Established Member
Just want to throw out a big thankyou to all the staff that kept AGA going over the past few days, not been an easy time, and yesterday well done to the staff that manned the DRS 37 that cleared both the Clacton Line thta had blown 6 foot drifts at Thorpe, cleared the Harwich Line too, then back to the Clacton Line, and also all the staff of which there were many of the DRS short hauled set that kept the Main Line clear Diss to Norwich, by running up and down between hauled sets, and one point after ploughing the line near Gissing, stopped and spent 90 mins or more behind the train digging out.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Been stuck at maidenhead for marlow. the 0939 and 1039 where cancelled so just been waiting in the waiting room with no info.

Silver Cobra

It's interesting to see that the only TOC listed on NRE to be running a normal service today is Great Northern. All the rest (understandably) have alterations and cancellations to their services.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sea Wall at Dawlish has been damaged this morning. All trains currently suspended between Exeter and Newton Abbot. An inspection is scheduled for 10.00 and services may resume at midday.

No alternative road transport will be provided as most roads in the area are impassable. The local Police Superintendent has requested, with some exasperation, that motorists take a more literal interpretation of the word "essential".

Is there any legal scope in the UK for imposition of a curfew?

pt_mad

Established Member
It's interesting to see that the only TOC listed on NRE to be running a normal service today is Great Northern. All the rest (understandably) have alterations and cancellations to their services.

They said that on Tuesday which I was really surprised at considering they go through Ely and the fens and the East of England was supposed to have it bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.