• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Yorkshire into West Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I regularly travel between Sheffield to Leeds using an off peak return. However I currently have a South Yorkshire Travelmaster. So is it accepted to use a Travelmaster then onto a West Yorkshire train rover for the full journey?

I have previously done this with a South Yorkshire day tripper on the forum challenge however I just wanted to confirm that this is also acceptable with a travelmaster in South Yorkshire.

In addition can I purchase the WestYorkshire ticket at Sheffield as I have had trouble doing this before?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
In order:

Yes you can use that combination of tickets on a northern stopping service from Sheffield to leeds.

Are you wanting the train only or train/bus WY dayrover?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, as long as the train calls at the boundary station (Darton, Denby Dale, Moorthorpe or South Elmsall). You should be able to purchase it, but sadly I have heard reports that Sheffield station have refused to sell them in the past on account of them not having the correct stock! :roll:

As far as I'm concerned, if you are refused it at Sheffield you should be able to purchase it on the train. According to Metro:

Train-only DayRovers and Concessionary DayRovers are available from staffed rail stations or on the train if the ticket office is closed.

Since there are no ticket offices at Moorthorpe, South Elmsall, Darton or Denby Dale, I think it's safe to say that the ticket can be bought onboard.

Yes, as long as the train calls at the boundary station (Darton, Denby Dale, Moorthorpe or South Elmsall).

I'm sure last time I caught the semi fast Sheffield to Leeds service via Barnsley? Is this no longer allowed when crossing the boundary?

Train only btw.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure last time I caught the semi fast Sheffield to Leeds service via Barnsley? Is this no longer allowed when crossing the boundary?

Train only btw.
Ask the Guard (in advance of departure from Barnsley!) and I'd be very surprised if discretion wasn't shown.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It has never been allowed officially allowed, in fact the Travelmaster Ts and Cs state strictly that the train must call at the station where you change tickets. However, as yorkie states, you may be shown discretion on Northern services, but don't even bother on CrossCountry.

Tried to purchase the ticket at Sheffield. The staff told me it can only be purchased at Leeds or Bradford. On the 1206 stopper anyway so we'll see how that goes ;)

Harpers Tate

Established Member
WYPTE train day passes are (or at least used to be) sold at Meadowhall.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Tried to purchase the ticket at Sheffield. The staff told me it can only be purchased at Leeds or Bradford. On the 1206 stopper anyway so we'll see how that goes ;)

You have probably picked the worst station in the whole country to request a ticket that is not a single/return/season from that station. ;)

You have probably picked the worst station in the whole country to request a ticket that is not a single/return/season from that station. ;)

I have had so much trouble buying rovers from Sheffield. I once had to get a single to Meadowhall just to be able to purchase a certain rover because Sheffield said it didn't exist! Anyway the Northern guard was very happy to sell me the West Yorkshire ticket.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have had so much trouble buying rovers from Sheffield. I once had to get a single to Meadowhall just to be able to purchase a certain rover because Sheffield said it didn't exist! Anyway the Northern guard was very happy to sell me the West Yorkshire ticket.

Well, at least you weren't told to come back another day when someone more experienced is on shift, complete with the shift pattern for said person. ;)

(That happened to me a while back, so I am not making this up.)

34D

Established Member
Well, at least you weren't told to come back another day when someone more experienced is on shift, complete with the shift pattern for said person. ;)

(That happened to me a while back, so I am not making this up.)

But you live miles away :o do they expect you to plan your whole life around their incompetence?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sheffield are infamous for it. We need more people to complain when they experience bad service, as otherwise EMT just don't bother doing anything about it.

If Sheffield ticket office claim a ticket does not exist and refuse to sell it, I'd see that as there being 'no opportunity to buy before boarding' however Northern may not see it that way, so it may be worth contacting them to clarify.

Most conductors will be happy to sell the full range, if you approach them and explain that Sheffield ticket office were unable to sell the appropriate ticket.

I'm sending an email in the morning!
When I told the guy I have purchased a West Yorkshire ticket here before he abruptly said 'No you haven't' and weirdly pointed at me. Then informed me that his partner works as a Northern guard and they can't sell them either.

When I asked about it on the 1206 the guard replies 'Sheffield ticket staff don't know what they're on about sometimes'
Too right they don't ;)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sending an email in the morning!
When I told the guy I have purchased a West Yorkshire ticket here before he abruptly said 'No you haven't' and weirdly pointed at me. Then informed me that his partner works as a Northern guard and they can't sell them either.

When I asked about it on the 1206 the guard replies 'Sheffield ticket staff don't know what they're on about sometimes'
Too right they don't ;)

The difference in culture at EMT stations cannot be more wide. Sheffield and Derby are right at one end of the scale, whereas Leicester and St Pancake are at the other. Let's just say that I am glad that I live in Leicester and not 30 miles further north. ;)

ashworth

Established Member
The difference in culture at EMT stations cannot be more wide. Sheffield and Derby are right at one end of the scale, whereas Leicester and St Pancake are at the other. Let's just say that I am glad that I live in Leicester and not 30 miles further north. ;)

It's a pity Sheffield staff give EMT a bad name because I usually find EMT staff friendly and helpful at other stations. Just a few miles down the line at Chesterfield I've always found them very helpful. They have always been ok with me at Alfreton and Nottingham too.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's a pity Sheffield staff give EMT a bad name because I usually find EMT staff friendly and helpful at other stations. Just a few miles down the line at Chesterfield I've always found them very helpful. They have always been ok with me at Alfreton and Nottingham too.

What is stranger is that Sheffield and Chesterfield report to the same line manager, so the issue with local culture is even more pronounced.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was the guy who pointed quite large and old? If so, he is a manager of some sort, and that behaviour in not out of character (source: regular users of Sheffield station and EMT staff).

Crossover

Established Member
Ah, Sheffield are at it again, are they?

The Family and combined Train/Bus West Yorkshire products are meant to be on special stock so often cannot be properly issued outside WY. However, they are in the system and systems will just print them onto normal stock.

The Train only can be issued on normal stock from any station, though some don't know how, or on special stock within WY

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Ah, Sheffield are at it again, are they?

The Family and combined Train/Bus West Yorkshire products are meant to be on special stock so often cannot be properly issued outside WY. However, they are in the system and systems will just print them onto normal stock.

The Train only can be issued on normal stock from any station, though some don't know how, or on special stock within WY

If a Family or Train and bus rover *is* issued on normal stock, expect to have trouble with it being accepted, especially with bus drivers - (annoyingly) they are only supposed to be issued on the special stock.

However for the Adult and Child train-only day rovers there should be no trouble getting them issued anywhere that sells tickets.

Was the guy who pointed quite large and old? If so, he is a manager of some sort, and that behaviour in not out of character (source: regular users of Sheffield station and EMT staff).

I know which one you mean as I've had problems with him before. He was the youngish strawberry blonde lad who talks far too quickly. I've had trouble with him before when he wouldn't accept my South Yorkshire student pass.

I've often found the only polite member on the ticket sales to be the blonde oldish woman who is the only one who can ever find the South Pennines Day ranger

In my experience I've found some of the East Midlands Trains guards on the York and Scarborough services (don't know where they're based) rather rude too! Although I've never had any problems with the London guards and the EMT first class hosts are fantastic!

ashworth

Established Member
What is stranger is that Sheffield and Chesterfield report to the same line manager, so the issue with local culture is even more pronounced.

Regularly buy split tickets for journeys north from Chesterfield and never had any problems. In fact staff have sometimes commented that its a sensible thing to do if you know about it as many through fares especially for day returns are very high from Chesterfield in comparison to splitting at Sheffield or Manchester. One ticket l often purchase from Chesterfield if I am in no hurry because it means using slow Hope Valley service is Derbyshire Wayfarer then a day return to destinations in Lancashire from New Mills Central. Never any problem purchasing both at Chesterfield as I've said often a positive comment about how much can be saved.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
If a Family or Train and bus rover *is* issued on normal stock, expect to have trouble with it being accepted, especially with bus drivers - (annoyingly) they are only supposed to be issued on the special stock.

However for the Adult and Child train-only day rovers there should be no trouble getting them issued anywhere that sells tickets.

And train guards too - a member had a family one on a meet a few months ago and to say the guard looked bemused was an understatement! So bemused, in fact, that he pulled out an advertising leaflet to see how they should look :|

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And train guards too - a member had a family one on a meet a few months ago and to say the guard looked bemused was an understatement! So bemused, in fact, that he pulled out an advertising leaflet to see how they should look :|

Wonder if he was new? I use them all the time.

wbbminerals

If a Family or Train and bus rover *is* issued on normal stock, expect to have trouble with it being accepted, especially with bus drivers.

This being said, I was once in a rush to get to Pontefract from Moorthorpe (as the train had been cancelled due to a broken down pacer) and managed to get on the bus with no bother even though I had my WY train day rover in the place of my bus-only Metrocard (by mistake). It shows that unless you have a picky driver - that for example checks details such as the expiry date of passes - you can sometimes get away with it if you have confidence.

Last edited:

syorksdeano

I don't know why they have told you that as I have purchased many train only dayrovers at Sheffield
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've often found the only polite member on the ticket sales to be the blonde oldish woman who is the only one who can ever find the South Pennines Day ranger

I have to agree, she seems to know what she is doing.

A few months ago I was travelling backwards and forwards to North Wales twice a week (£75.50 a time) and she told me I would be better getting a Coast and Peaks Rover.

Half expecting it to be nearly £100, I was quite surprised that it was only £67 and valid for the 2 journeys a week I was making.

Not only that it also gave me a lot more flexibility.

matthewluck

As other posters have said, I've also had problems buying West Yorkshire Bus and Train Day Rover tickets at Sheffield. I use them with the South Yorkshire Travelmaster ticket.

I've been able to buy it at Meadowhall, where they have the Metro Ticket Stock.
Also, I have had no problems buying this ticket from the conductor on Northern services. Used it a few times

The problem is, when the ticket is issued on standard stock from conductors on train it states 'RAIL ROVER' on the bottom and has no mention that bus services are included. On occasions, I have had trouble getting bus drivers to accept it.

Would they be able to print & Bus on the tickets when printed on the train?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure the software can be reprogrammed to show additional wordings, but is there a will to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.