Southeastern Livery Change

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Deepgreen, 13 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Established Member

The first SE 375/3 unit has gone to be given its half life refurbishment, which will include the relocation of the first class to the centre car and a re-livery into a purple scheme similar to the Javelin one. So yet another livery is set to appear and I'm wondering whether it will be extended to SE's other stocks.

2. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Completely purple?

http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/news/southeastern/2015-first-375-refurbishment.html

3. D6975

D6975 Established Member

At the moment there are lots of stations from which you can get a cheap(er) ticket to London and travel on a white train, or a more expensive ticket and travel on a purple train.

Discuss.....

edit: Cletus posted as I was typing, the livery is still mainly white I would suggest.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2015
  4. D365

D365 Established Member

What's made them decide on moving the first class compartment to the centre car? I was under the impression that since the Class 321 and 319/1 builds, first class compartments in a suburban EMU have generally been specified in a driving vehicle.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2015
  5. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

Except on all the Siemens built rolling stock though (444 excepted as they were built to be a modern equivalent of the 442).

6. tsr

tsr Established Member

AGA Class 360s have First Class at the ends.

7. fgwrich

True, I'd forgotten about those. It certainly however is in the middle on the 350/450/185* fleets.

Just wondering though, why have they sent a 3 car for refurbishment first? And do they really need FC on these /3s?

*middle of one of the driving cars on 185.

8. robert7111a

robert7111a Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    Could this be a move to reduce the amount of First Class seating or just to consolidate it in one area? I wonder what Mr Tunbridge Wells might have to say if the former is the case?

9. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

An insanely stupid layout, that one.

10. Philip C

Philip C Member

It has long surprised me that SouthEastern First Class provision has been located over the bogie at the end of the carriage where the least comfortable ride is experienced. If the move is to a mid-carriage, rather than mid-train, position this can only be right given the premium fare charged. Better seating, decent leg-room, tables that don't get in the way of knees and enclosing doors (as on SWT and some Southern sets) would also be welcome.

The amount of First Class seating provided should bear some relation to demand. At present there is little incentive to pay any premium except on the "9 Series" with their 2+3 seating in standard.

11. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

The best area of seats on the 375 fleet is the area at the other end of the carriage with the universal toilet. If you recall this was the area that initially had red-coloured moquette.

While the Connex idea was to not have dedicated first class seating, I thought that there was some kind of plan to designate one area on an 8- or 12-coach train as being first class by putting headrest covers on just before the train picked up a peak working. In practice, this is simply impractical and instead they just went for the area behind the driver.

12. Philip C

Philip C Member

At their introduction onto the Hastings Line memory suggests that the whole of the country end carriage was designated as being first class (and no other part of the train). This applied to some peak hour workings. I have no recollection of the off-peak (or other lines) arrangements. This was very much a "velcro-first" arrangement but did produce a special atmosphere in the carriage.

I'd be much obliged if anyone else could corroborate my fading recollections of those days. In particular what happened on trains that divided en route and how long the arrangement lasted.

13. robert7111a

robert7111a Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    I remember the 375/6's had an entire driving coach devoted to First Class, (and I think the 3's on Connex South East and the 7's as well) when first introduced. I can't remember when the first class was split to behind the cabs in both driving cars

14. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Member

I might be going mad but Purple? I thought the Class 395s were dark blue?

15. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

Isn't a big disadvantage of painting them a dark colour the extra heat build up? The A/C will need to work harder, greater energy consumption?

16. fgwrich

They will still have the lighter grey coloured roofs though surely? And to be honest, I've never found the A/C to be that effective on an Electrostar in the summer anyway, worse than (to quote a line pinched from top gear) an asthmatic breathing through a straw.

Besides the SWT 450s don't seem to have any different feeling of effectiveness to their 350 cousins.

17. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Established Member

The Southern Electric Group's web site has a small feature on this topic.

18. LeeLivery

LeeLivery Member

The A/C on the 378s can make them be flipping freezing in the summer!

19. hulabaloo

hulabaloo Member

I do like the colour on the Javelins, apart from the doors, which seem to be using the same blue that all the mobility cars in the seventies seemed to have.

I think yellow doors would suit all classes a lot more, I did a quick (very) rough and ready photoshop:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if the 465s will get the same treatment?

20. 387star

387star Established Member

Doubt it the final networkers /2 and /9 examples are being painted into the smart networker metro livery

21. Electrostar

Electrostar Member

Mid-life refurbishment. It feels only yesterday since they were introduced. Albeit introduced much later than planned.

22. hulabaloo

hulabaloo Member

Wasn't that due to power supply problems initially? If I recall they had to turn off the air-con just to get the train started?

23. JaJaWa

JaJaWa Established Member

St. Albans | Leeds | Hong Kong | Shenzhen
  24. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

What else is being done in the refurb?

25. ScotGG

ScotGG Member

Indeed. The networkers at least need it. Many are filthy with ingrained dirt and look very tired. Well, the oldest are now 24 years old and should have had a proper refurbishment 5-10 years back not just external painting. And more 2x2 seating to increase passenger capacity.

26. 387star

387star Established Member

Why has Southeastern always been the poor relation?

Until recently there has never been much of an effort to get the basics right but glad things are improving

How well did the 'gov' run it?

27. ScotGG

ScotGG Member

What I remember about the time it was directly run was that communications seemed much better. The top brass seemed approachable, didn't patronise and wrote decent articles explaining what was going on. There seemed to be a good of progression and improvement.

Since then daytime frequencies have improved, and there's more improvements coming, but quite a lot needs improving.

Last edited: 2 May 2015
  28. hulabaloo

hulabaloo Member

Everytime I use a networker I feel like I need a shower afterwards. Filthy trains.

29. Alteran Ancient

Alteran Ancient Member

So, looks like 375301 is now back home and sporting its shiny new predominantly-blue livery. It seems pretty radical compared to the white that Southeastern and Connex SE have been sporting since forever (the Javelins being an obvious exception, of course).

https://flic.kr/p/suFTbh

One question - what reason would they have to be travelling on a really obscure route via Acton and then Putney, when it came from Derby and is probably headed to Ramsgate?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgda4beYLMI

Last edited: 25 May 2015
  30. DesireToFire

DesireToFire Member

Morning, I saw this at Strood today on the 8:34 to Tonbridge today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.