• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southend Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
John @ home

I am not sure to whom you are addressing the question, but if it is to NCL1072 and DaveNewcastle then what made them think that there was any truth in the rumour? If the question was to me, then it stands to reason that as tickets are still being issued at Southend Airport Station, then by now there would be scores, if not hundreds of disgruntled passengers besieging the ticket office, demanding their money back with compensation.
As far as I understand. the ticket office equipment is linked in to the national system. Lets face it, they have been operating for goodness knows how many months now. This whole thing reminds me of the nonsense of when National Express took over the line from First, they reckoned they did not know that there was a station being built at the airport!

Refer to the first page. We aren't referring to Southend Airport Station but to a kiosk in the airport itself. Apparently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Refer to the first page. We aren't referring to Southend Airport Station but to a kiosk in the airport itself. Apparently.

Correct. It's alleged (strongly, and I have it on very good authority) that these tickets issued with no authority are being sold from within the airport itself.

There is no allegation against Stobart Rail or the employees of the station booking office, who continue to retail tickets appropriately.

PW1954

I really get bored with people trotting out the fatuous "there's been an airport there for years so don't complain when overnight it becomes a thousand times busier". I would imagine that those who support this viewpoint have a road outside their houses and they might have something to say about it if it suddenly became a motorway.

For those who think that "the church" was happy with the arrangement, I suggest that you contact some of the members of the congregation, who most certainly were not.

I also wonder about those who claim that the anti-airport sector of the town amounts to only 5%. Have you asked them? The council did, and in every consultation exercise carried out, the split was something like 3:1 against airport expansion.

But of course that's a bit off topic from the original point about ticket sales.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's rather unlikely that any existing road will suddenly become a motorway, unless it's already a pretty major road.

If you bought a house on a dual carriageway, or as people did alongside the North Circular, then you'd probably have an inkling that one day it might be expanded.

In these cases, you'd probably find yourself having your home compulsory purchased anyway. That is unless you continued to have your driveway entering the motorway via the hard shoulder!

I don't think it's a fair comparison whatsoever.

Where I live, there's loads of farm land and I was warned to expect that there might be more house building on this land in years to come. I cannot be surprised, however disappointed I might be to have lost nice views of open countryside, if this does happen.

Clip

Established Member
I really get bored with people trotting out the fatuous "there's been an airport there for years so don't complain when overnight it becomes a thousand times busier". I would imagine that those who support this viewpoint have a road outside their houses and they might have something to say about it if it suddenly became a motorway.

For those who think that "the church" was happy with the arrangement, I suggest that you contact some of the members of the congregation, who most certainly were not.
I also wonder about those who claim that the anti-airport sector of the town amounts to only 5%. Have you asked them? The council did, and in every consultation exercise carried out, the split was something like 3:1 against airport expansion.

But of course that's a bit off topic from the original point about ticket sales.

9 people apparently LINK so given you have said most and I woul dhave most set at a figure over 50% I take it its not a very big congregation - 18

Ivo

Established Member
9 people apparently LINK so given you have said most and I woul dhave most set at a figure over 50% I take it its not a very big congregation - 18

I've decided to swallow my pride (so to speak) and look on that site - and my word, some of it is just downright stupid.

A few examples, if I may...

The south side has an elevated pathway for both pedestrians and cyclists and the north side has an incomplete path, ending at the bus stop for the No 9 bus. This will mean that RBS bus users and pedestrians and cylists from the east of the airport will have to cross an extremely busy road without the benefit of a pedestrian crossing.

I'm sorry, but this is drivel. If you are going to work at the RBS building, in most cases you do not travel on the 9! And even if you do, the route actually runs closer to the RBS building than it previously did!

However, we have learned that someone who has put their house on the market in Rochford recently was told by the estate agent that they would have to knock an extra £25,000 off the price of the house due to the current threat of airport expansion, and at this stage we don’t even know whether it will actually happen!

This happens with every such development. But as soon as these numpties realise the economic benefits that are so plainly obvious to everyone else, their house values shoot up due to the proximity of the site to such a major employer and transport base!

Increased Southend Airport noise levels are making some residents’ lives a misery, it has been claimed. The claims follow the start of easyJet flights to various European destinations.

I don't even know where to begin with this one. You live near an airport, you have to be prepared for the occasional levels of noise. You can't then cry wolf and expect any sympathy. My father lives at point-blank range to Heathrow Airport, and the noise level isn't a problem at all.

I see that they are also linked with Campaign to Protect Rural England (whom I have never heard of before now). Well, unless I'm seriously mistaken, Southend Airport is not exactly "rural" - and what little area around it is rural is likely to be developed before long anyway (apart from the NW corner). Now, if it was situated on Foulness Island, I could understand - but not immediately north of the town...!

Trolling is fun :p

-----------------

Moderators: Can I suggest that posts discussing the airport's expansion are split into a new thread in the Other Transport forum?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I too would be fascinated to see an example of the "tickets" sold. It does sound very peculiar if true - who would possibly think that selling tickets for another company's services without consulting with them first would be in any way A Good Idea?

NLC1072

I too would be fascinated to see an example of the "tickets" sold. It does sound very peculiar if true - who would possibly think that selling tickets for another company's services without consulting with them first would be in any way A Good Idea?

stex-ticket.jpg
On this stock from within the airport just with Southend on instead of Stansted.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't understand. Do you mean it is issued on a ticket printed with "Southend Express" or one with "Stansted Express" but with Southend in the descriptions?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I have today received a response to my enquiries from 1st May into the alledged refusal to accept these tickets on-board.
A spokesperson for Greater Anglia wrote "Southend Airport station is owned and operated by Stobart Rail, there have been some incidences of paper tickets being sold by agents at Southend Airport which are not valid for travel on our services.

However, the orange card tickets sold by the ticket office are valid for travel on Greater Anglia trains.
"

My enquiry to Stobart Rail and a follow up reminder remains unanswered.

Status
Not open for further replies.