• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern 313 withdrawal, planned date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I must say, as our Portsmouth train trundled into Bedhampton the other day, where we were waiting, the family member isn’t interested in trains said “God, it looks like it’s about to give up,” and he wasn’t wrong. They are knackered.

king_walnut

With the withdrawal of the 313s also comes the transfer of conductors to the OBS role, which I don't imagine will be a quiet affair.

Not sure where they'll get the stock from to replace twenty 313 units either, I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable on what stock is where and what's currently being built might have an input.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Not sure where they'll get the stock from to replace twenty 313 units either, I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable on what stock is where and what's currently being built might have an input.
It is safe to say that nothing is being built to replace 313s.

physics34

Established Member
With the withdrawal of the 313s also comes the transfer of conductors to the OBS role, which I don't imagine will be a quiet affair.

The continued rumour is the 387s from GN or the 377/5s from SE

MatthewRead

On Moderation
The continued rumour is the 387s from GN or the 377/5s from SE
379's to Great Northern to displace 387's to Southern in turn displacing 377's to replace 455's.
Meanwhile 465/9's to Southeastern Victoria-Ashford etc to displace 377/5's to Southern to replace 313's.

Bishopstone

Established Member

Many of the services that required twenty-ish 313s are no longer running: West Worthing-Brighton; Lewes shuttles; Hove shuttles. So whilst there is a requirement for replacement stock, the number isn’t 20 units.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Many of the services that required twenty-ish 313s are no longer running: West Worthing-Brighton; Lewes shuttles; Hove shuttles. So whilst there is a requirement for replacement stock, the number isn’t 20 units.
Indeed, more like 12 now which isn't really many to find. Depending on how the 455 replacement goes, you really would like to think that replacement could be achieved within Southern's existing resources.

Milo T.K

From an internal source apparently it's going to be 377/5s replacing the 313s

JonathanH

Veteran Member
From an internal source apparently it's going to be 377/5s replacing the 313s
There are, of course, 23 377/5s, and probably a requirement for around 12 diagrams to replace the 313s so it will be interesting to see if they all transfer.

Having all the 375s at Southeastern and all the 377s at Southern does appeal to OCD though.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Having all the 375s at Southeastern and all the 377s at Southern does appeal to OCD though.
It also slightly simplifies traction learning for traincrew and depot staff. Though probably not massively, as there is very little difference between the various subclasses of Electrostar.

387star

On Moderation
I remember these trains coming over to the coastway routes just over a decade ago replacing comfortable 377s (no ironing boards on the 3 cars)
Whilst passable for Bognor and Hove shuttles their use on Brighton to Portsmouth services is outrageous given there are no toilets on board and the services are often overcrowded. However they have managed to keep Guards as a result. It made the OBS agreement much messier deciding which crew would stay in the Conductor role.

With Milton Keynes and Guildford services ending once these 313s go only Ashford to Hastings and Uckfield diesels will require Guards on Southern. With GWR pulling out of Brighton all services will be DOO there.

physics34

Established Member
I remember these trains coming over to the coastway routes just over a decade ago replacing comfortable 377s (no ironing boards on the 3 cars)
Whilst passable for Bognor and Hove shuttles their use on Brighton to Portsmouth services is outrageous given there are no toilets on board and the services are often overcrowded. However they have managed to keep Guards as a result. It made the OBS agreement much messier deciding which crew would stay in the Conductor role.

With Milton Keynes and Guildford services ending once these 313s go only Ashford to Hastings and Uckfield diesels will require Guards on Southern. With GWR pulling out of Brighton all services will be DOO there.
Watfords also ;)

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Indeed, more like 12 now which isn't really many to find. Depending on how the 455 replacement goes, you really would like to think that replacement could be achieved within Southern's existing resources.
Really they've got to back cover the 455's first so unless the 377/5 are coming back from SE the only way to do that is cut back formations. Given peak extras are now consigned to history there will be overcrowding but they seems to be acceptable as PIXC is clearly no longer a target.

387star

On Moderation
They are in a shocking state now with graffiti everywhere and filthy seat covers
This one feels on its last legs

yorksrob

Veteran Member
379's to Great Northern to displace 387's to Southern in turn displacing 377's to replace 455's.
Meanwhile 465/9's to Southeastern Victoria-Ashford etc to displace 377/5's to Southern to replace 313's.

That's good news, they'll be a lot better suited to the route.

Don't think the networkers will be an improvement on the Maidstone line though.

Jobbenar

Would Brighton be the best place to go to see them/ride on them 1 last time? Wouldn't mind some pics before they go

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Would Brighton be the best place to go to see them/ride on them 1 last time? Wouldn't mind some pics before they go
Brighton and west towards Littlehampton since, while they are based at Brighton a few of the diagrams work Littlehampton to Portsmouth / Bognor local services

STINT47

Two thoughts come to mind.

Removing trains without a replacement in the form of new stock is OK at the moment but if passenger numbers go back up again overcrowding may follow.

Taking the 377/5s from Maidstone routes and giving them Networkers is a backwards step in terms of quality. I would be to pleased if this was my local routes unless my fares went down.

Southern Dvr

You’re making the mistake of thinking that the railway is here to provide for the paying passengers!

Status
Not open for further replies.