• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Bits 19/04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thefab444

Established Member
Nice photos, typical weather for the 20s though!

Few quick corrections though, being the picky self I am:
St Deny's - St Denys, not sure how it is pronounced through, either St Dennies or St Dennis seems acceptable.
73208 & a collection of GBRf 66's seen stabled behind Eastleigh station - no apostrophe needed
20307 & 20310 pass Eastleigh working Spitfire Railtour's 1Z30 Crewe - Weymouth - apostrophe needed shown in bold.

My measly efforts can be viewed by clicking the link in my signature.

JS

Jord

Few quick corrections though, being the picky self I am:
St Deny's - St Denys, not sure how it is pronounced through, either St Dennies or St Dennis seems acceptable.
73208 & a collection of GBRf 66's seen stabled behind Eastleigh station - no apostrophe needed
20307 & 20310 pass Eastleigh working Spitfire Railtour's 1Z30 Crewe - Weymouth - apostrophe needed shown in bold.

Jesus, have you not got better things to do with your time rather than going ruond correcting others? It's not the end of the world if he has a few mistakes, nobody is perfect but some people like to think they are!!! [Hint Hint] :roll::roll::roll:

thefab444

Established Member
You don't learn unless you either go about it yourself or someone tells you. I can't imagine anyone producing a 95 page essay on the use of the apostrophe, so its better either to leave them out or to learn from what other people tell you. And no I don't have anything better to do with my time, what else do you propose I do at 9pm? Watch Big Brother or one of the other low-life, D/E band TV shows? :lol: It's Saturday so there isn't even any Newsnight to watch. :(

Apologies if I offended anyone; I see from the Fred thread that I have bigger fish to fry when it comes to apostrophe abuse. Lets get back to the pictures.

nobody is perfect

Too true, I'm sure we've all got stupid obsessions we'd like to get rid of.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you going to criticise at least get it right. The railtour company name is "Spitfire Railtours" so the apostrophe should go after Railtours.

Anyway nice shots considering the weather Jon.

thefab444

Established Member
Indeed, as Jord himself said "Nobody is perfect".

Spitfire Railtours' or Spitfire Railtours's (although personally I dislike the latter, especially in speech) is the correct way of writing it.

It's not criticism anyway, just trying to be helpful. To me, apostrophes in the blatantly the wrong place look so unprofessional.

The Snap

Established Member
Nice shots. Good to see plenty of flails from the chibble bashers! :D

RJ

Established Member
Spitfire Railtours' or Spitfire Railtours's (although personally I dislike the latter, especially in speech) is the correct way of writing it.

If you really wish to be pedantic, it's grammatically incorrect to add an 's' after the apostrophe if the possessive noun already ends in 's'. The primary aim of the website is to show off the pictures - a few misplaced apostrophes is hardly worth mentioning, so can we leave the free English lessons please?

Oracle

Established Member
Please don't get me started on whether there should be double quotation marks or single...and I'm a professional writer [Ha!!] and proof reader! Strictly speaking, it should be ' " ' i.e. double when it's a direct quotation and ' ' ' or just one. Also apparently, believe it or not but the quotation marks should be after the full stop, which I find amazing but it's true!

Having worked just up the road from the station the announcers say "St Dennis" but I always used to say "St Dennies"! It is of course spelt 'St Denys' but who cares about an errant apostrophe..life's too short! And I am always getting into trouble from my boss about wrong use of quotation marks so I'm not pefect!

Going back, nice photos.

Phoenix

Established Member
I will admit I am a criminal when it come's to bad grammah you probably will spot mistakes in this reply.
But life is to short and I honestly think people on this site should spend more time working on their people skill's and general manner's as it's quite.
I mean i understand it if it's between friend's.
But yes it is important to get your gramah right as you can take you seriously for job interviews ect if you cant form sentances properly.
And sorry if im sounding like a preacher but lately in every post im noticing that we start thread on railway based topic's and go completly off course.

RJ

Established Member
Please don't get me started on whether there should be double quotation marks or single...and I,m a professional writer and proof reader!

Please don't get me started on the differences between apostrophes and commas...

I will admit I am a criminal when it come's to bad grammah you probably will spot mistakes in this reply.
But life is to short and I honestly think people on this site should spend more time working on their people skill's and general manner's as it's quite.
I mean i understand it if it's between friend's.
But yes it is important to get your gramah right as you can take you seriously for job interviews ect if you cant form sentances properly.

Agreed, I think if thefab444 was really bothered about the mistakes, a PM to jonb would have sufficed. It was amusing to see the humoured response though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.