• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
I have it is true I was on a 313 while writing that
Yes, the point is we know that it is true! The issue is that the post to which it referred (post 378) was misinterpreted as that poster was actually saying (albeit not clearly so I also misunderstood it) that it was a shame all the seats were in bays when uni direction would be better as it keeps the feet off the seats more effectively (this was in response to a post I made above that about the interiors being very grubby) - all you have done is perpetuate the misunderstanding :lol: - I'm sure not intentionally of course.

IE no one on this thread has actually said the 313s do not have seats in bays that face each other, but several of us thought that was what post 378 was saying.

But anyway - probably not one to dwell much further on as we enjoy the latter days of the 313s :D

I just wish Southern would get them clean!

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
The Class 313s entered service on 16th August 1976, not 8th November. The latter date was just the commencement of the full Moorgate - Hertford and Welwyn service.

16 August 1976; as an aside that was notable for being Madonna's 18th birthday and exactly one year before Elvis died. Shows how long the 313s have been around!

So if Elvis was into travelling around north London on trains (not that he was...) he could have wound up on a 313.

It would have to be worth it with the amount of units you’re sending over. Micro fleets are frowned upon because of the amount of people that requiring training. Even 707s (30 units) was frowned upon. You’d probably be looking at 40 units (400 carriages) to make it worth while, which wouldn’t leave SWR with enough.

I realise this is probably a dumb point, but the 701s have 10 carriages? Didn't realise that I have to admit.

That itself seems inflexible and a strange decision. If they had them as say 5-car units, they could run them in pairs when needed or singly when not. Would also permit "loans" to the South London lines such as is being suggested here, without losing so much capacity. The whole strength of multiple-units, surely, is that they, erm... work in multiple. They allow train length to be tailored to demand in a fine-grained manner. The whole of the Southern Region and NSE was founded on that concept!

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
16 August 1976; as an aside that was notable for being Madonna's 18th birthday and exactly one year before Elvis died. Shows how long the 313s have been around!

So if Elvis was into travelling around north London on trains (not that he was...) he could have wound up on a 313.
Those 313s will certainly have seen a few pairs of of flared trousers in their time, even if not Elvis's

not to mention a vast number of other fashions since!

If walls could talk.

MCR247

Established Member

I realise this is probably a dumb point, but the 701s have 10 carriages? Didn't realise that I have to admit.

That itself seems inflexible and a strange decision. If they had them as say 5-car units, they could run them in pairs when needed or singly when not. Would also permit "loans" to the South London lines such as is being suggested here, without losing so much capacity. The whole strength of multiple-units, surely, is that they, erm... work in multiple. They allow train length to be tailored to demand in a fine-grained manner. The whole of the Southern Region and NSE was founded on that concept!
701s are a mixed fleet of 5 cars and 10 cars

nw1

Established Member
701s are a mixed fleet of 5 cars and 10 cars

Ah right, ok, thanks. Was just responding to the post which suggested that SWR "loaning" N 701s to the South London metro lines would require N*10 coaches.

High Dyke

Established Member
201, 210, 211 and 213 on Seaford services, so far today.
  • 313201 departing Lewes.
  • 313210 after terminating at Newhaven Harbour.
    20221102_120424.jpg 20221102_124350.jpg
  • 313207 at Brighton.
20221102_171002~2.jpg

Last edited:

On Moderation
220 next to scrap according to a driver

First for scrap (?) unless 217 is earmarked...
It’s astonishing how many people take the word of absolutely anyone as gospel as to what will happen with a particular fleet. Drivers aren’t privy to what fleet management decisions are being taken and even less so when there’s an external party (the ROSCO) involved as to decisions on disposals.

03_179

Established Member
It’s astonishing how many people take the word of absolutely anyone as gospel as to what will happen with a particular fleet. Drivers aren’t privy to what fleet management decisions are being taken and even less so when there’s an external party (the ROSCO) involved as to decisions on disposals.

Agreed.
I work alongside the fleet engineers etc. and there is no decision made yet.

physics34

Established Member
We need a status list really. It seems only a few units are being used in services now.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
That's why I put a question mark after my post (?) as it was a generic question

Class 466

Established Member
the daily diagrams will reduce from 16 to 13 in the December timetable. That Doesn't necessarily mean that 3 units will be withdrawn but allows more time to maintainance etc.
This has now been reduced to 9 diagrams from December.

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Without starting a new thread, can anyone point me to a detailed labelled technical diagram of a 313 front end and below-underframe equipment please? I've tried googling without any success
I have one but it's not that detailed

Without starting a new thread, can anyone point me to a detailed labelled technical diagram of a 313 front end and below-underframe equipment please? I've tried googling without any success
Do you want it?

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There was a post on se-gen ( e-mail group ) earlier this week stating that 313 217 has been withdrawn and is being used as a source of spares. That seems to tie in with the lack of movement reported above in this thread - but can it be confirmed?

that1pepfan

On Moderation
There was a post on se-gen ( e-mail group ) earlier this week stating that 313 217 has been withdrawn and is being used as a source of spares. That seems to tie in with the lack of movement reported above in this thread - but can it be confirmed?
I'll ask my friend who works for SN about it

03_179

Established Member
I spoke to someone VERY much in the know last week and he has said NO 313s have been withdrawn yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.