• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spittingyarn

Hi, Parental-Know-Nothing, here. My son would like to ride a class 313 from Brighton. I understand these are on their way out. What is our best chance of catching one? Are they running regularly or rarely? Any advice very gratefully received as we are not local and will need to make a special trip. Thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Hi, Parental-Know-Nothing, here. My son would like to ride a class 313 from Brighton. I understand these are on their way out. What is our best chance of catching one? Are they running regularly or rarely? Any advice very gratefully received as we are not local and will need to make a special trip. Thank you in advance.
The only ones that regularly run out from Brighton now are the Seaford services that depart (usually) from Platforms 7 & 8. Be aware though that it is not unknown for one to fail and be replaced by a more modern train

duncan788

The only ones that regularly run out from Brighton now are the Seaford services that depart (usually) from Platforms 7 & 8. Be aware though that it is not unknown for one to fail and be replaced by a more modern train

The 313 always runs Brighton to Seaford, but there are some 377s running during peak times.You can check the live departures on Southern Railway website, if the train is formed by 3 coaches it may run by the class 313s (Southern has some 3 coaches 377s ,but they don't always run to Seaford)

Benjaminmorgan

On Moderation
When the 313s go in May 2023 southern might have no more conductors does that mean 377 will become OBS?

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Always on Brighton to Seaford

Always on Littlehampton - bognor shuttles (not from Brighton)

On weekdays only 2 diagrams (usually) in the week on Brighton to Portsmouth

Spittingyarn

Thank you so much for these replies. I am hugely grateful. A final question - I saw a reference to May 2023 - is this when these 313s are scheduled to depart for good?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Why hopefully??? Hopefully not lol
Not all of us are delighted by clapped out trains (older than my mother, and I’m a legal adult myself) with no toilets, plugs, tables or temperature control trundling up and down the Coastway if they can be operated by something far more accommodating. To say “hopefully not” is to express intention to grossly hold back a very much due upgrade to satisfy niche enthusiast preference.

What will happen to the guards on these 313s when they move over to 377 operation? Are they ok with converting to OBS's as most will no longer have any booked work as conductor (the top link-171-trained guards excepted)

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
What will happen to the guards on these 313s when they move over to 377 operation? Are they ok with converting to OBS's as most will no longer have any booked work as conductor (the top link-171-trained guards excepted)
Can't speak for them personally but it might be the choice between converting to OBS, redundancy or retirement. Hopefully if converting to OBS, they will be on pay and benefits protection

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Can't speak for them personally but it might be the choice between converting to OBS, redundancy or retirement. Hopefully if converting to OBS, they will be on pay and benefits protection
OBSs do more on strike than at work. I'm finding their purpose more and more difficult to understand, seeing as they don't seem to wish to use the opportunity of not having to man doors to check tickets. As has been said multiple times, they're rarer spots than the Flying Scotsman. I reckon there'll be somewhat of a split in opinions, with some 313 guards finding this a welcome break while others dislike the loss of responsibilities.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not all of us are delighted by clapped out trains (older than my mother, and I’m a legal adult myself) with no toilets, plugs, tables or temperature control trundling up and down the Coastway if they can be operated by something far more accommodating. To say “hopefully not” is to express intention to grossly hold back a very much due upgrade to satisfy niche enthusiast preference.
I'm not sure what your point is. You could be 18, your mother could be 36. There are plenty of trains around the world older than that. I strongly advise you to stay away from the New York Subway. Admittedly their old bangers do have air con. Also, it seems likely that the removal of the 313s will be achieved by shorter or less frequent trains elsewhere. Is that really a win?

Andy1673

313s will be 47 year old in 2023. There aren`t so much trains around the world older than 313s.
Only 9 313s diagrammed weekdays now (recently was 12). It is not critical number, much better than 42 455s.
Southern will be able to replace them by anytihing else.

Class15

On Moderation
But these trains are a great piece of history and have plenty of years left in them…

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
But these trains are a great piece of history and have plenty of years left in them…
With absolute respect, we really must make sure we recognise the fine line between fair suggestions and wishful thinking/denial/delusion. The things are absolutely shot. One old woman at Bedhampton commented as such when the 313 bound for Southsea staggered up to the platform sounding and looking like it was going to give up on the spot.

WizCastro197

Established Member
Are you joking? They certainly don’t… They fail frequently, if you look at the 313 blog, you’ll see some documented faults. They are old now, not many trains survive until almost 50 but these have and now it’s time to retire them, the vast majority does not believe they are worth keeping just for trainspotters and sentimental value, at the end of the day these trains carry passengers and frequent commuters who’d just prefer train that works and that can get the from A to B without any problems really…

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Are you joking? They certainly don’t… They fail frequently, if you look at the 313 blog, you’ll see some documented faults.
It’s a shame to say (well, it’s not really, because they’ve been in service an exceptionally long time and done a good, solid stretch) but they’re absolutely knackered and replacement is very much due.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what your point is. You could be 18, your mother could be 36.
Neither - I’m not sure why we’re going round in circles discussing personal opinions on what seems like every other page!

busestrains

On Moderation
I wonder if any Guards will be able to get transfers to Eastbourne and Selhurst who will still keep Guards for the 171s to Ashford and Uckfield and 377s to Watford Junction and Milton Keynes etc once the 313s are gone. Maybe if Eastbourne and Selhurst are short of Guards than some can get transfers there. Depending on where they live some may choose to transfer to Southeastern and South Western Railway if they have vacancies at their depots.

OBSs do more on strike than at work. I'm finding their purpose more and more difficult to understand, seeing as they don't seem to wish to use the opportunity of not having to man doors to check tickets. As has been said multiple times, they're rarer spots than the Flying Scotsman. I reckon there'll be somewhat of a split in opinions, with some 313 guards finding this a welcome break while others dislike the loss of responsibilities.
I completely agree there. I have been using Southern Rail almost every day since OBS were introduced about five years ago and i can probably count the amount of times they have checked tickets on two hands. I think i have probably had about ten ticket checks by OBS on the hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of trains i have been on over the last five years.

On 99.99% of trains that i travel on the OBS just spends the entire journey sitting down on his or her phone or reading the newspaper and quickly pops their head out the door at each stop before going back on their phone or reading the paper. They very extremely rarely walk thorough the trains and check tickets like we were told they would when they were introduced. That whole argument that they were converting Guards to OBS to allow them more time to check tickets and be visible was nonsense.

I can understand the argument for keeping Guards who are safety critical and guaranteed to be onboard but there is honesty very little argument for keeping OBS onboard. I would get rid of all of the OBS if i was in charge. They might as well save money and get rid of this role.

Yes they are a great piece of history for a museum or a heritage railway for railway enthusiasts to ride on. I am not sure that ordinary non enthusiast passengers will appreciate them so much. The 313s are one of the oldest trains operating in the country now. For ordinary passengers the 377s are much more comfortable and have better facilities.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I wonder if any Guards will be able to get transfers to Eastbourne and Selhurst who will still keep Guards for the 171s to Ashford and Uckfield and 377s to Watford Junction and Milton Keynes etc once the 313s are gone. Maybe if Eastbourne and Selhurst are short of Guards than some can get transfers there. Depending on where they live some may choose to transfer to Southeastern and South Western Railway if they have vacancies at their depots.

I completely agree there. I have been using Southern Rail almost every day since OBS were introduced about five years ago and i can probably count the amount of times they have checked tickets on two hands. I think i have probably had about ten ticket checks by OBS on the hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of trains i have been on over the last five years.

On 99.99% of trains that i travel on the OBS just spends the entire journey sitting down on his or her phone or reading the newspaper and quickly pops their head out the door at each stop before going back on their phone or reading the paper. They very extremely rarely walk thorough the trains and check tickets like we were told they would when they were introduced. That whole argument that they were converting Guards to OBS to allow them more time to check tickets and be visible was nonsense.

I can understand the argument for keeping Guards who are safety critical and guaranteed to be onboard but there is honesty very little argument for keeping OBS onboard. I would get rid of all of the OBS if i was in charge. They might as well save money and get rid of this role.

Yes they are a great piece of history for a museum or a heritage railway for railway enthusiasts to ride on. I am not sure that ordinary non enthusiast passengers will appreciate them so much. The 313s are one of the oldest trains operating in the country now. For ordinary passengers the 377s are much more comfortable and have better facilities.
Well it depends whether you were travelling within the Oyster/contactless area which is where they don’t check tickets.

But having OBS can comfort passengers in knowing their is someone they can ask for assistance from is they have any queries etc. I fear this is off topic so I won’t continue further

Class15

On Moderation
With absolute respect, we really must make sure we recognise the fine line between fair suggestions and wishful thinking/denial/delusion. The things are absolutely shot. One old woman at Bedhampton commented as such when the 313 bound for Southsea staggered up to the platform sounding and looking like it was going to give up on the spot.
Just give them another four years so they can make it to 50 :D Show them a little mercy:D

On another note, no-one seems to want the HSTs out, which are of the same age.

More seriously, I completely understand how you would feel, maybe they need to go.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I agree, I am unsure whether that post was made facetiously or not but 377s offer a whole range of better opportunities where people can hopefully get from A-B without too many issues and hopefully begin to get a portion of their money’s worth on the Coastway

PGAT

Established Member
I too want the 313s gone, it's just a shame that's happening at one of the worst times possible.

It’s a shame to say (well, it’s not really, because they’ve been in service an exceptionally long time and done a good, solid stretch) but they’re absolutely knackered and replacement is very much due.
They are utterly hateful things and I can’t wait to see the back of them. On a wet day, unable to see out of the windows due to the condensation, unable to be warm because they’re so drafty, and with no toilets to relieve one’s bladder they are the single most depressing place in the world.

There is some really great rolling stock pushing 40. These are not it.

The discomfort of the damp and smelly seats is matched only by the ‘seat’ (and I use the term loosely) of an 800/802

WizCastro197

Established Member
They are utterly hateful things and I can’t wait to see the back of them. On a wet day, unable to see out of the windows due to the condensation, unable to be warm because they’re so drafty, and with no toilets to relieve one’s bladder they are the single most depressing place in the world.
I agree and since Brighton to Portsmouth is 1h30 minute journey, although, I can’t quite recall whether they still operate these services or if they’ve just been reduced to Brighton-Seaford.

Last edited by a moderator:

PGAT

Established Member
I agree and since Brighton to Portsmouth is 1h30 minute journey, although, I can’t quite recall whether they still operate these services or if they’ve just been reduced to Brighton-Seaford.
I think before the December timetable 2 out of 4 diagrams ran the route, not sure if that's the case anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.