• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class15

On Moderation
They are utterly hateful things and I can’t wait to see the back of them. On a wet day, unable to see out of the windows due to the condensation, unable to be warm because they’re so drafty, and with no toilets to relieve one’s bladder they are the single most depressing place in the world.

There is some really great rolling stock pushing 40. These are not it.

The discomfort of the damp and smelly seats is matched only by the ‘seat’ (and I use the term loosely) of an 800/802
But what about their glory days on the NLL and Great Northern? At least they gave us proper seating unlike the 378s where you can’t see out of the window while sitting?

Okay, I admit I’m teasing now. They need to go.

I agree and since Brighton to Portsmouth is 1h30 minute journey, although, I can’t quite recall whether they still operate these services or if they’ve just been reduced to Brighton-Seaford.

Do you mind explaining a little more? I don’t really understand this argument.
Surely trains operating at higher speeds will wear out quicker?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

that1pepfan

On Moderation
But what about their glory days on the NLL and Great Northern? At least they gave us proper seating unlike the 378s where you can’t see out of the window while sitting?

Okay, I admit I’m teasing now. They need to go.

Surely trains operating at higher speeds will wear out quicker?
Brighton to Seaford has the same speedlimits and there planned to stay on that till the end

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we stick to the thread title please; this thread already has over 600 posts and if anyone wants to discuss any related matters, this would be best done in a new thread, thanks

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Is there any more plans to stop units

I know 202 & 214 were stopped due to traction issues and not planned Withdrawal

202 was due to an electrical issue and 214 because it shorted the motors after a third rail issue at moulscoomb

WizCastro197

Established Member
Is there any more plans to stop units

I know 202 & 214 were stopped due to traction issues and not planned Withdrawal

202 was due to an electrical issue and 214 because it shorted the motors after a third rail issue at moulscoomb
Is the whereabouts of 214 known? Is it isn't with the others at Hove Yard is it?

that1pepfan

On Moderation
So to clarify the current position:

There are 9 x 313 diagrams now (?)

313.202/206/211/214/217 are stopped
206 211 temporary storage due to them not being needed

They could come out to work

There is 6 car 313s on new years eve
Maybe they come out for that

So to clarify the current position:

There are 9 x 313 diagrams now (?)

313.202/206/211/214/217 are stopped
9x but alot of the time one of the Portsmouth diagrams is a 377

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I actually quite like reading the 313 discussions .. the rumours of which units are going where and when, which ones are stored in Lovers or Hove Yard, info people have heard from an 'insider', maybe a few people's memories of what they were like in decades gone by, it's interesting reading and good forum discussion. Why stifle that?
Because many of us want to know when withdrawals occur and actual changes, and when we get alerts for this thread only to see more random reminiscing and trips down memory lane, it’s rather irritating.

I humbly recommended @that1pepfan create a blog in Trip Planning & Reports for that, and he has done.

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Because many of us want to know when withdrawals occur and actual changes, and when we get alerts for this thread only to see more random reminiscing and trips down memory lane, it’s rather irritating.

I humbly recommended @that1pepfan create a blog in Trip Planning & Reports for that, and he has done.
Thanks for noting me :)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I’ll just add that these updates on withdrawn units today is certainly not what I’m talking about in bold, and it’s very useful indeed to learn what has been stopped - many thanks for all information given :)

What I was referring to was arguments about whether or not the 313s are too old or whether 213 sounds better than 218 ;)

that1pepfan

On Moderation
I’ll just add that these updates on withdrawn units today is certainly not what I’m talking about in bold, and it’s very useful indeed to learn what has been stopped - many thanks for all information given :)

What I was referring to was arguments about whether or not the 313s are too old or whether 213 sounds better than 218 ;)
Haha! Good point, if you want to have that conversation you can do it in mine and share you experiences

Leave this for Info when we get ***313221 HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN*** etc

Southern Dvr

Can I just remind the non 313 fans on this thread, if you are local to the Coastway routes you may want to consider what you dislike more: a 313 or a very infrequent service.

Since losing the 455s up here in London Land the services (as has been well documented elsewhere) have been slashed and many who lamented 455s now realise that without anything to replace them they were better than nothing.

Presumably some drags to Sims of Newport are imminent?

PGAT

Established Member
Since losing the 455s up here in London Land the services (as has been well documented elsewhere) have been slashed and many who lamented 455s now realise that without anything to replace them they were better than nothing.
That’s not really the case here. There are only 9 313s in use at the moment. Despite the 455s being released there are still surplus units and finding a few 377/3s won’t be detrimental to the timetable.

Dart34518

214/202 &217 are all in Lovers. 206 is serviceable, 211 needs work hence freeing up space in Lovers.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thank you so much for these replies. I am hugely grateful. A final question - I saw a reference to May 2023 - is this when these 313s are scheduled to depart for good?
Just to add to the helpful posts from others, always a good idea to head to Brighton and then look at what comes in and out on the Seaford services - you can break a journey at Lewes or Newhaven or Seaford and then use a different train back. The south downs scenery on the line is very good too. One carriage (the middle one I think) has windows at one end that align best with the seats so better for for views if you want to do part of the trip in that carriage.

Buy in advance (a few days in advance is required IIRC, looks like 3) on line a Southern Daysave ticket (see southern website) which is a rover on southern trains that you can use that for travel from/back to London too - only on Southern services tho -, as well as the trips on the 313 trains.

see

Others will advise, but are there still Littlehampton - Portsmouth 313 services? Or did these stop in December

If so you can also get any train west from Brighton (sometimes use a change at Hove) and pick these 313 services up at Barnham or Littlehampton and use that line too. All that is also valid on the Southern Daysave ticket

Toilets at stations are useful!

All being well you can make it a good day out with your son (and if you like toys and models the museum under Brighton Station (Brighton Toy and Model Museum) might be a good place to call in, though with shorter daylight hours you will probably just want to ride the trains!)

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Just to add to the helpful posts from others, always a good idea to head to Brighton and then look at what comes in and out on the Seaford services - you can break a journey at Lewes or Newhaven or Seaford and then use a different train back. The south downs scenery on the line is very good too. One carriage (the middle one I think) has windows at one end that align best with the seats so better for for views if you want to do part of the trip in that carriage.

Buy in advance (a few days in advance is required IIRC, looks like 3) on line a Southern Daysave ticket (see southern website) which is a rover on southern trains that you can use that for travel from/back to London too - only on Southern services tho -, as well as the trips on the 313 trains.

see

Others will advise, but are there still Littlehampton - Portsmouth 313 services? Or did these stop in December

If so you can also get any train west from Brighton (sometimes use a change at Hove) and pick these 313 services up at Barnham or Littlehampton and use that line too. All that is also valid on the Southern Daysave ticket

Toilets at stations are useful!

All being well you can make it a good day out with your son (and if you like toys and models the museum under Brighton Station (Brighton Toy and Model Museum) might be a good place to call in, though with shorter daylight hours you will probably just want to ride the trains!)

The Littlehampton - Portsmouth services were 100% 313's yesterday but won't always be the case. For the OP with her son, probably travelling on the Seaford branch and west to Littlehampton might be a bit much in one day during the winter (also given that 313's don't have toilets) but would be a wonderful opportunity in the spring.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The Littlehampton - Portsmouth services were 100% 313's yesterday but won't always be the case. For the OP with her son, probably travelling on the Seaford branch and west to Littlehampton might be a bit much in one day during the winter (also given that 313's don't have toilets) but would be a wonderful opportunity in the spring.
Thanks - that's a good point, longer days and warmer weather make it nicer for sure.
From London direction I did easily manage a Brighton to Seaford rtn, then a fastish service to Littlehampton (not using a 313) then a Littlehampton to Portsmouth and rtn to Barnham (then Barnham back to London) on a Saturday in October - but took meal and toilet breaks on the stations so I was mostly on the trains to fit it all in.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I was looking for this thread and couldn't find it(!) but I see the mods have deleted lots of non-related posts....

So just a quick update on the fleet:

313.202/214/217 are long-term stopped and reported to be either at Lovers or Selhurst

313.206/211 are stored temporarily in Hove Yard

That leaves 14 units for 9 diagrams.

With 377/3's being transferred from Selhurst to Brighton now, I suspect the end is really in sight now

Status
Not open for further replies.