• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thedbdiboy

Will the 313/2s be going for immediate scrap soon (I'm aware 3 have gone already) or will there be a long, painful languish in storage for whatever reason?

Given the pace at which recent disposals have taken place, I imagine they’ll be duly ‘recycled’ before very long.

The 456s of course were supposedly going for storage at first, I believe they didn’t last very long at all before somebody decided they were most valuable as scrap.

It's not what happened to previous classes, it's who owns the and what the disposal arrangements are. The Southern 455s went off lease the day they were withdrawn and the ROSCO (Rolling Stock Leasing Company) that owned them contracted for Newport Sims to dispose of them under a total destruction order, hence their immediate scrapping. The 456s were stored for a period but once the ROSCO decided that there was no future for them they too went for scrap at Newport Sims.
The 313s are still under lease to Southern but of no further use to them and have instead gone to Eastleigh which has a record for being much slower to cut up stock than Newport Sims (which has no place to store anything and literally cuts things up as they arrive). So we can expect the cutting process for 313s to be slower and for certain vehicles to perhaps be held back if there is interest in them. It's unlikely to be as rapid as the 455 disposal.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Indeed it was.
Thanks for sharing. I got bored of the 313s on the North side of London but now feel I will miss them.
Will the 313/2s be going for immediate scrap soon (I'm aware 3 have gone already) or will there be a long, painful languish in storage for whatever reason?
The only thing that might speed things up I imagine is the fact that Aluminium is worth more than steel. Of course, being Aluminium so little corrsion, might make them useful for some project or other but they are more worn out than the D78s.

How long have other PEP derived units (I mean GN/London Overground 313s, 314s, 315s, 507s & 508s) taken from withdrawal/off-lease to de-construction ?.

prod_pep

Established Member
The other night's send-off was excellent, if slightly poignant. Thank you to all involved, especially the train guards whose enthusiasm for the 313s was great to see. The non-stop run back to Brighton from Seaford was a treat and the unit was given some welly. The best of the final workings I've done so far.

Afterwards, the 0121 Brighton to Worthing train was not set down only. It was half an hour late and involved a set swap but got myself and a few others safely back.

rustbucket

How long have other PEP derived units (I mean GN/London Overground 313s, 314s, 315s, 507s & 508s) taken from withdrawal/off-lease to de-construction ?

Less than a week normally in the case of the 507s / 508s - Merseyrail don't hang about getting them off to Sims as they are limited on storage space

Kilopylae

The other night's send-off was excellent, if slightly poignant. Thank you to all involved, especially the train guards whose enthusiasm for the 313s was great to see. The non-stop run back to Brighton from Seaford was a treat and the unit was given some welly. The best of the final workings I've done so far.

Afterwards, the 0121 Brighton to Worthing train was not set down only. It was half an hour late and involved a set swap but got myself and a few others safely back.
We got a lovely photo with it in Brighton on Friday, and the horn/whistle work was great!

Attachments

• 20230519_233808.jpg
    20230519_233808.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 168

Poyntz

It's not what happened to previous classes, it's who owns the and what the disposal arrangements are. The Southern 455s went off lease the day they were withdrawn and the ROSCO (Rolling Stock Leasing Company) that owned them contracted for Newport Sims to dispose of them under a total destruction order, hence their immediate scrapping. The 456s were stored for a period but once the ROSCO decided that there was no future for them they too went for scrap at Newport Sims.
The 313s are still under lease to Southern but of no further use to them and have instead gone to Eastleigh which has a record for being much slower to cut up stock than Newport Sims (which has no place to store anything and literally cuts things up as they arrive). So we can expect the cutting process for 313s to be slower and for certain vehicles to perhaps be held back if there is interest in them. It's unlikely to be as rapid as the 455 disposal.
As they are still on lease it's Southern's responsibility to find storage, hence the deal with Arlington. There is no assumption that Raxstar will get the demolition contract, that's for Beacon to let once the lease ends.

prod_pep

Established Member
We got a lovely photo with it in Brighton on Friday, and the horn/whistle work was great!
Great photo of a memorable evening. The horn work leaving Brighton was indeed impressive.

Just collecting the last passenger workings of each 313/2. I have them all except 313202, 214 and 217, so can anyone confirm their last workings, please? I think 217's last was 2C77 2353 Seaford - Brighton on 10/06/22 but haven't done any digging for the other two yet.

Deepgreen

Established Member

Just curious - how do you give a class 313 "some welly"? ;)

fgwrich

Established Member

As they are still on lease it's Southern's responsibility to find storage, hence the deal with Arlington. There is no assumption that Raxstar will get the demolition contract, that's for Beacon to let once the lease ends.

Pretty much the nail hit on the head here by the both of you. There's no doubt they will ultimately go for scrap - trust me, they are worn out, corroding (Aluminium corrosion with several holes or cracks in the bodysides) and mechanically tired but, until the lease ends and Beacon can find someone willing to chop them up, they will spend the next few weeks or months in Arlington's place at Eastleigh.

tcw217

What about the decommissioning slots between Hove Yard and Lovers Walk?
I heard that there are a few movements tomorrow Tuesday.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Pretty much the nail hit on the head here by the both of you. There's no doubt they will ultimately go for scrap - trust me, they are worn out, corroding (Aluminium corrosion with several holes or cracks in the bodysides) and mechanically tired but, until the lease ends and Beacon can find someone willing to chop them up, they will spend the next few weeks or months in Arlington's place at Eastleigh.
Yes, and another nonsense of the private system - "on lease" is an artificial construct, meaning, in this instance, instead of going to scrap directly they have to be stored pointlessly. It just keeps on giving, sorry, taking...

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes, and another nonsense of the private system - "on lease" is an artificial construct, meaning, in this instance, instead of going to scrap directly they have to be stored pointlessly. It just keeps on giving, sorry, taking...

It does seem rather pointless to be paying to store units which clearly won’t be used again, and which have already had their second life. This cost is being borne by someone.

387star

On Moderation
Brilliant to see comfortable coastway trains at last. Scandalous they were sent to London really

tcw217

What about the decommissioning slots between Hove Yard and Lovers Walk?
I heard that there are a few movements tomorrow Tuesday.
A 6 car 313 did a run from Lovers to Littlehampton and back today and nobody here noticed?
2 sets of 6 cars 313 were swapped between Hove and Lovers, and 313203-313210 did a test run between Lovers and Littlehampton.

king_walnut

Intriguing. I wonder at the purpose. 2 PEPs with question marks over their ability to get to Eastleigh under own power. Or a dry run, for a comeback... ( kidding!)

I think even though they're withdrawn from service they're not off lease, so they still have to be maintained. Doesn't a train have to go through a lot of work to be allowed back out if it's been sat doing nothing for long enough? I assume renting a loco to haul them to Eastleigh is expensive so they'd rather keep them operational to get there under their own power.

I don't actually know what I'm talking about but from bits of what I've seen/heard this makes sense.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I think even though they're withdrawn from service they're not off lease, so they still have to be maintained. Doesn't a train have to go through a lot of work to be allowed back out if it's been sat doing nothing for long enough? I assume renting a loco to haul them to Eastleigh is expensive so they'd rather keep them operational to get there under their own power.

I don't actually know what I'm talking about but from bits of what I've seen/heard this makes sense.
Good point. The lease agreement might require evidence of "still fit".

I'd assume the remaining PEPs will only be standing at Lovers Walk / Hove for up to 4 weeks; I wouldn't expect seizure / failures.

RTT's entry for today, no sign of it running.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I was out of the UK for this last few days of 313 operations, but just to say thanks to all those posting on here in the run up to the final day - reading through the posts gives a real sense of what was going on and makes an enjoyable read for someone who would have otherwise enjoyed being there! Thanks to all.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What 313(s) is/are being preserved?
I've heard 313121 but isn't that involved in NR duties?
And are all others expected to go for scrap?
313121. It’s mentioned a few times earlier in this thread, but the official justification was put in the railtour thread here:

Status
Not open for further replies.