Southern DOO: ASLEF members vote 79.1% for revised deal

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by hornbyfan99, 1 Apr 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A-driver

A-driver Established Member

I'm purely talking driver harmonisation. No other grades. FCC and southern/GX are being kept as seperate companies in many ways-including contracts, T&C, pay and driving policies.

2. JamesTT

JamesTT Member

Absolutely by making sure people have a ticket before they board ;)

3. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

Some people would regard clamping down on ticketless travel as good customer service.

4. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

Can someone explain to me how ASLEF balloted drivers in a way that breaches the rules on balloting?

Also, can someone explain to me how the second part works?

5. Robertj21a

Robertj21a Established Member

I doubt that any of us will know for definite but I would be surprised if ASLEF hadn't been ultra-careful to ensure everything was legal. If they've messed up then they only have themselves to blame, they know the law takes a very precise view of issues.

6. JamesTT

JamesTT Member

But if the true aim is to get rid of guards on all but a small number of routes and rolling stock types and the OBS staff will end up displaced or redundant come 2021. Won't the cost savings in doing this make it finacially viable to introduce driver harmonisation. That all drivers become GTR drivers not distinguished by a brand. On an enhanced pay, even better conditions but on the proviso that the adopt DOO(P)

7. A-driver

Why would they want driver harmonisation? There's nothing in it for the company.

8. JamesTT

JamesTT Member

Well if the ends justify the means. The ends being that Govia get franchise bonus payments and will be favourites for securing further franchises. Plus an overall cost savings on the wage bill for the franchise.

9. 313103

313103 Established Member

The drivers on LOROL had DOO in there contracts after agreements between ASLEF in 1996 as part of the introduction of Driver Restructuring Initiative with the then incumbent owners of Silverlink, National Express.

There was a lot ASLEF could of done like not agreeing to the extension of DOO in the first place. In my eyes that is collaboration and affected me personally. Once DOO is agreed with ASLEF all the RMT could do is negotiate a higher then average settlement plan for those being made redundant.

10. HH

HH Established Member

I can see ways in which harmonisation might be agreed if there was a will on both sides. There are things that the ex-FCC drivers have, like the right not to work Sundays, that I'm sure GTR wish they didn't. Plus GTR would probably like a multi-year pay deal, a RDW agreement and I'm sure other things too. But this pre-supposes that you have two sides who want to reach an agreement, whereas I expect we don't have one.

11. A-driver

The Sunday agreement will be dealt with without harmonisation-it will be dealt with in he next (October) FCC pay deal. That's probably why GTR are already making contingency plans for an all out strike by GN and TL drivers before Xmas (seriously-they are).

I don't know why harmonisation would affect bonus payments or securing future franchises-GTR have said from the start that they do not want harmonisation.

The pay anniversary has already moved from April for FCC to October to bring it in line with southern. They are going for harmonisation by the back door for the is they want (12 car DOO) but avoiding formally harmonising which would be too expensive.

12. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

I suspect that had aslef balloted all drivers that would have been use be gtr as ground to have the result dismissed

13. JamesTT

JamesTT Member

Time for a crazy theory. DFT and GTR are determined to introduce an extension of DOO. It is one of the committed obligations and would lead to a bonus payment if achieved. If GTR offered to harmonise the drivers contracts offering new terms which overall benefit the driver's. Based on an agreement that DOO will be extended. Might GTR change their stance on harmonisation?

14. cjmillsnun

cjmillsnun Established Member

You think ASLEF are having informal chats with GTR when GTR have one injunction out on them and are looking for another? I have to ask what planet you're on?

15. spangles

spangles Member

I've no reason to doubt you that they are making contingency plans, but I'm struggling to see what those could be. How would they run a service without drivers. Surely there can't be management grade drivers (like there was conductors during the last strike?)

Last edited: 24 May 2016
  16. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

Was that due to the to the unsafe nature of Strood tunnel until it was re lined?

17. HH

HH Established Member

There are, driver managers; but most of those wouldn't normally have up to date route knowledge, etc. Even if they got them up to date there's only about 1 for every 25 drivers and several probably won't be physically competent. Contingency doesn't necessarily mean that they will run any trains; it's just that they have a plan... (cancel everything and go down the pub would be a contingency plan :lol:)

18. JamesTT

JamesTT Member

Would public liability premiums increase if DOO was extended? If so does DFT/NR foot the bill or the TOC in question?

19. Skimble19

Skimble19 Established Member

It'll be the same plan as last year I imagine when a drivers strike (or the year before, I forget when it was) was threatened, a very, very limited service of 1/2 an hour at all main stations, no trains at smaller stations to allow 8/12 car operation and station staff everywhere with queuing systems in place.

Last edited: 24 May 2016
  20. Squonk

Squonk Member

This image was recently posted on a facebook group and accurately depicts the in cab monitor image from a 377 on a sunny day,

so who fancies becoming a train driver and playing the roulette wheel of DOO ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 25 May 2016
  21. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

The North Downs Line isn't intercity though. Could they have made partial friends with the DfT and run some as DOO.

Not that I want them to mind you.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Tapatalk had one for this forum but it's gone now. However those without Tapatalk couldn't see it. I imagine most people don't use Tapatalk to access this forum either.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I go to a small restaurant in Guildford called Olivos. They regularly wins local customer service awards. I wasn't aware it was run by hedge fund managers!

Last edited: 25 May 2016
  22. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    You know he means large national/international chains.

23. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

How did it end up in the driver's contracts in the fist place?

24. HLE

HLE Established Member

If it were me, that would be a call to control and the signaller to say I cannot leave X station because I cannot tell whether it is safe to dispatch or not.

25. 313103

313103 Established Member

I gave an answer yesterday with regard to this question See post 2409.

26. physics34

physics34 Established Member

We tell the signaller and then go back and lock each carriage out individually and then report it to southern at the end of our duty. Imagine how long a 12 car would take!

27. Squonk

Squonk Member

I agree and I would do the same, and I accept that that image is probably worst case situation but for the benefit of those outside the business this is the kind of equipment we have to work with, I sometimes get the impression that people think we have large wide screen panoramic monitors with HD resolution and get a view far better than any Conductors eyes, the truth is a long way from that i'm afraid, modern technology isn't always better.

28. HLE

HLE Established Member

Huge waste of time. Probably costs more in delay minutes than a guards monthly wage.

But even if the doors are locked out - it still isn't safe to dispatch.

Really does show how much we take for granted up here

29. tsr

tsr Established Member

I've done it, several times, in various places. And then had to go back to perform the train safety check from the correct dispatch position.

Allow at least 10 minutes... could be waaay more if the porter switches are sticky or there's a door fault as well...

30. RichardN

RichardN Member

The tunnel isn't between Strood and Gillingham, so unlikely I'd think.

They might actually mean "to Gillingham via Strood" and use Strood to Gillingham as a shorthand, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.