• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Rail send the 'wrong type of train'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tooktook

Interesting article today. I never thought about these sort of things happening but guess it's possible with the different ways of drawing power:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...n-caused-by-wrong-sort-of-train-a3328516.html

'The “wrong sort of train” today caused disruption for Southern Rail commuters.

Embarrassed rail chiefs admitted they had to cancel a Clapham to Watford train after it became stranded at Shepherds Bush.

A train equipped only to take power from the third rail had been sent out when it should have had an overhead pantograph arm as well.'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Surely even if the depot had got it wrong the driver should have noticed? Or am I over simplifying things?

backontrack

Established Member
Here's the quote:

The “wrong sort of train” today caused disruption for Southern Rail commuters.

Embarrassed rail chiefs admitted they had to cancel a Clapham to Watford train after it became stranded at Shepherds Bush.

A train equipped only to take power from the third rail had been sent out when it should have had an overhead pantograph arm as well.

When the driver tried to continue the train from Shepherds Bush, where the line switches from third rail to overhead cable, it was realised his train did not have the required roof-mounted pantograph arm to collect current.

The train was stranded for a while, blocking the line and forcing the cancellation of services behind.

Southern admitted the mistake blaming “human error.”

A spokesman said: “We apologise to passengers using the West London Line for the cancellation of the 6.38 am Clapham Junction to Watford Junction service this morning.

“Unfortunately, human error meant that incorrect rolling stock was allocated for the train, meaning it could not progress further than Shepherds Bush.

“We are looking into this to establish how this happened.”

N228PF

Love the stock picture of a diesel train in the article.

I'd expect the driver to have to check his train before it leaves the depot. Although I'm sure having a pantograph might not be something you might be concerned about if you've been working the railway for a while

najaB

Veteran Member
Surely even if the depot had got it wrong the driver should have noticed? Or am I over simplifying things?
Does a driver have to fill out any paperwork about the train before departure - e.g. writing down the unit number? That might trigger the brain cells...

sarahj

Established Member
When I saw that today on our e-mails today it did give us the giggles. There is a reason why it happened, but cannot say.;)

MrB

Don't Southern/GTR have processes in place to check that the correct stock is allocated before they leave the depot, be this a check by the driver or those who come up with the diagrams?

Phil.

Established Member
It's not the first time. A few years ago I was on Willesden when a train for Stratford appeared from Richmond. Yep, no panto. Out of service it came.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Don't Southern/GTR have processes in place to check that the correct stock is allocated before they leave the depot, be this a check by the driver or those who come up with the diagrams?

I think this all has to be taken in context of what is going on currently.

matt_world2004

Established Member
On a related subject to this has the metropolitan ever been sent accidentally down to marylebone?

Sacro

On a related subject to this has the metropolitan ever been sent accidentally down to marylebone?

I would imagine the signal won't clear that way if it detects current draw on the 4th rail. I think that's how it's done elsewhere.

sarahj

Established Member
No, the driver might make a note of the unit number, but nothing else. Plus the driver might not have brought it out of the depot themselves anyway, they could have just picked it up.

Poor sod must have felt a right idiot after they had stopped. They would have reached over to do the changeover and must have gone 'oh crap' (or words to that effect).:oops:

Tooktook

I'm surprised they disclosed the full reasons. I thought they would just say a 'train fault' or 'issue with the train and it had to be returned to depot.'

sarahj

Established Member
I'm surprised they disclosed the full reasons. I thought they would just say a 'train fault' or 'issue with the train and it had to be returned to depot.'

In a world of twitter and facebook it's hard to hide something these days. All it would have taken is one passenger on the train going on twitter, or telling a friend, and zoom zoom....

najaB

Veteran Member
In our Twitter and Instagram world someone would probably have posted a picture anyway.

tsr

Established Member
Particularly awkward when so few Southern services requiring dual-voltage Electrostars are being run anyway!

Noting the unit number should mean you are aware of whether it is meant to be fitted with a pantograph or not...

Johncleesefan

Wouldn't put it past southern to have sawed the pants off it just to put it down to operational staff "human error"

Met Driver

Established Member

That last happened in the early 2000s, although the train didn't make it quite that far. It was well clear of the limit of current rails by the time the driver realised his error and stopped though.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That last happened in the early 2000s, although the train didn't make it quite that far. It was well clear of the limit of current rails by the time the driver realised his error and stopped though.

Would the brakes not automatically apply after a set (presumably short) time with no current being drawn through the shoegear? (Question asked from a position of genuine ignorance).

Lrd

Established Member
Would the brakes not automatically apply after a set (presumably short) time with no current being drawn through the shoegear? (Question asked from a position of genuine ignorance).
No they wouldn't. Just the traction motors would drop out. (Not physically like the Central Line does <D)

DasLunatic

It could well be Southern sending 377120 instead of 377210 and the driver not realising. If it was a 455 though than that really would be concerning.

(In the 377 case, could another 377/2 be summoned to rescue it and complete the service with only one pantograph?)

najaB

Veteran Member
No, because the train may have to coast through a dead section. I know that they'll do this if there's an OHLE fault, so I'm guessing they might also do it when there's a third-rail fault.

Edit: Had a look at the rule book and there's no mention of coasting DC trains past a dead section, so I guess they would just coast to a convenient place to stop.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No they wouldn't. Just the traction motors would drop out. (Not physically like the Central Line does <D)

No, because the train may have to coast through a dead section. I know that they'll do this if there's an OHLE fault, so I'm guessing they might also do it when there's a third-rail fault.

Thanks. I did wonder if the brakes wouldn't function at all without power, but figured that wouldn't be very safe!

Deepgreen

Established Member
If I was a driver on that route I would certainly check I was picking up a 377/2 or 377/7. Or perhaps I am expecting others to be as observant as me. Not fun for the driver.

BestWestern

Established Member
This will most likely have lead quickly to a classic 'culpability ping pong' session, with the allocations department insisting the Driver should have spotted it, and Driver management pointing out that the Driver was not obliged to check and sending the buck squarely back they way it came!

Status
Not open for further replies.