• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Timetable Change September 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minstral25

Established Member
Those trains are absolutely rammed during the peak hours, almost impossible to board after Tulse Hill. It might be more bearable if the Purley-Caterham passengers take their alternative fast trains and the 2tph to Beckenham Junction returns. There’s also one extra train an hour between Streatham Common and Selhurst to East Croydon which might relieve some overcrowding in that direction.

The service will be 2tph London Bridge to East Croydon and 2tph London Bridge to Beckenham Junction from 5th September as mentioned in the original post. So London Bridge to Tulse Hill will be 4 trains per hour.

Obviously Purley/Caterham to London Bridge customers will be using the half hourly fast services but they probably were already. Hopefully it will be better although there will be 1 or 2 in the peak that will still be crowded I'm sure.

Let's wait and see

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PGAT

Established Member
Obviously Purley/Caterham to London Bridge customers will be using the half hourly fast services but they probably were already. Hopefully it will be better although there will be 1 or 2 in the peak that will still be crowded I'm sure.

Let's wait and see
At least they are extending some trains to 10 coaches.

Minstral25

Established Member
Southern have got back the GX 387/2's but I hope they aren't just going to be used to turn the GX badged services into 12 cars of fresh air rather than 8.

Will be interesting to see where these end up (I think I saw it is 7 of the 8 at GN coming back) - however I do suspect some will be for 12 coach services on GatEx which don't forget isn't always carrying around fresh air as currently they all extend to Brighton. I have used Gatwick to Brighton on GatEx and they can be very full when 8-car.

paul1609

Established Member
Still a few middle of the day Eastbourne and Littlehampton services missing as well in September and December. I wonder if anyone is missing them.
So many West Coastway services that are schedulef to run are cancelled I doubt that anybody notices.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Will be interesting to see where these end up (I think I saw it is 7 of the 8 at GN coming back) - however I do suspect some will be for 12 coach services on GatEx which don't forget isn't always carrying around fresh air as currently they all extend to Brighton. I have used Gatwick to Brighton on GatEx and they can be very full when 8-car.
regularly take one to Brighton and 4 cars would be sufficient mid morning even in high summer so outside of summer season 12 cars is excessive

Minstral25

Established Member
regularly take one to Brighton and 4 cars would be sufficient mid morning even in high summer so outside of summer season 12 cars is excessive

I do Redhill to Brighton a lot and find them generally full at the times I travel including mid-morning - cutting them to 4 car would not be suitable all day and it is not useful for other routes to have off-peak availability only

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I do Redhill to Brighton a lot and find them generally full at the times I travel including mid-morning - cutting them to 4 car would not be suitable all day and it is not useful for other routes to have off-peak availability only
I know its not fashionable anymore to reduce formations midday thats my conditioning from being bought up on the SR where were constantly knocking off 2 or 4 cars to the sidings after the morning peak and then getting them all out again for the evening. Wouldn't have the drivers now!!

nw1

Established Member
I know its not fashionable anymore to reduce formations midday thats my conditioning from being bought up on the SR where were constantly knocking off 2 or 4 cars to the sidings after the morning peak and then getting them all out again for the evening. Wouldn't have the drivers now!!

Interesting how the fashion for this has come and gone. It was certainly very much the thing to do in NSE and very early privatisation, particularly from around 1986 to 1997, or so. Earlier in the 80s there seemed to be less midday splitting and joining for whatever reason, with more 8-car midday services in 1982/3 compared to the late 80s or most of the 90s.

As (I think) you imply, increased off-peak frequencies since around the millennium means less paths and less drivers to do this, so on balance it is now considered economically worthwhile to run long trains all day.

Or the sidings (at the London end).

Though in the SR/NSE/early privatisation days much of the splitting and joining was done at the country end, to be fair; it was commonplace to have a 12-car 09xx down service from Waterloo or Victoria and have it shed 4 or 8 cars at Portsmouth, Brighton, or wherever. Or, more efficiently, it would divide at the country terminal with 8 cars forming the next up, and 4 cars forming the next-but-one up.

The following down service would then go to the sidings. Thus, only one ECS move was required, rather than potentially two.

bicbasher

Established Member
Well it benefits far more stations than the LBG-ECR does but in my opinion it just feels like one step forward and one step backwards.
It could be debated that New Cross Gate to Sydenham is already well served by 8tph London Overground services which provide better connections into central London via the Jubilee, DLR and Elizabeth line, so it looks like Southern is trying to provide services to Metro stations that have a vastly lower frequency service than those served by the ELL.

Even Penge West and Anerley which will be 4tph LO only for most of the day from Monday still had a better service than some sections of Southern Metro after the timetable revision.

PGAT

Established Member
It could be debated that New Cross Gate to Sydenham is already well served by 8tph London Overground services which provide better connections into central London via the Jubilee, DLR and Elizabeth line, so it looks like Southern is trying to provide services to Metro stations that have a vastly lower frequency service than those served by the ELL.

Even Penge West and Anerley which will be 4tph LO only for most of the day from Monday still had a better service than some sections of Southern Metro after the timetable revision.
Yes that route is a low priority for Southern, but it just causes more overcrowding in general. Such as Anerley passengers getting a bus to Crystal Palace and changing there, or Selhurst/South Norwood passengers all crowding onto the Caterham/Tattenham Corner trains at Norwood Junction, or loads of passengers changing for the Jubilee line at Canada Water or the Elizabeth line at Whitechapel. It sounds like an overreaction, but trust me those services will be ram-jammed.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Yes that route is a low priority for Southern, but it just causes more overcrowding in general. Such as Anerley passengers getting a bus to Crystal Palace and changing there, or Selhurst/South Norwood passengers all crowding onto the Caterham/Tattenham Corner trains at Norwood Junction, or loads of passengers changing for the Jubilee line at Canada Water or the Elizabeth line at Whitechapel. It sounds like an overreaction, but trust me those services will be ram-jammed.
The 9Rxx's to Bedford get plenty of custom at Norwood Jcn but the 700's are never crowded out. Its still quicker to sit on an LO train if you want the East side of London.

PGAT

Established Member
but the 700's are never crowded out.
Oooohh that’s where you’re wrong. I travel on that route occasionally and those trains are very crowded (granted I do travel in the peak hours), subject to disruption very frequently, and sometimes runs at 8 coaches which causes absolute chaos at times.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Oooohh that’s where you’re wrong. I travel on that route occasionally and those trains are very crowded (granted I do travel in the peak hours), subject to disruption very frequently, and sometimes runs at 8 coaches which causes absolute chaos at times.
The 9R's are my trains into London and as I say Norwood Jcn generates good levels of demand and probably really make the service viable since its been turned over to 12 cars (yes there are some 8's) in the off peak but a 700/1 can easily lose those people in its a voluminous capacity. So with the extra fast services at Norwood Jcn i would have switched the 9R's to call at New Cross Gate instead to improve connectivity into the East of London.

bicbasher

Established Member
The 9R's are my trains into London and as I say Norwood Jcn generates good levels of demand and probably really make the service viable since its been turned over to 12 cars (yes there are some 8's) in the off peak but a 700/1 can easily lose those people in its a voluminous capacity. So with the extra fast services at Norwood Jcn i would have switched the 9R's to call at New Cross Gate instead to improve connectivity into the East of London.
It was the one disadvantage of the Thameslink upgrade that New Cross Gate lost their 2tph slots on the fast.

WizCastro197

Established Member
Shame they are binning the 2tph to ECR from London Bridge...
Although the route itself did cause confusion among many passengers as all they saw on the board was ECR and didn't see that it was a stopper!
New Service to ECR is via Crystal Palace and Streatham Common

Wikipedia Page LBG updated to show change to service pattern from Tomorrow/Monday

PGAT

Established Member
Wikipedia Page LBG updated to show change to service pattern from Tomorrow/Monday
I was just editing the pages for Anerley, Penge West, Crystal Palace and Forest Hill. Nice to see others helping out as well!

WizCastro197

Established Member
I was just editing the pages for Anerley, Penge West, Crystal Palace and Forest Hill. Nice to see others helping out as well!
Yes I have already done LBG and Victoria ahead of the change! I have kept the current pattern but have also written the new one out and will delete outdated one accordingly tomorrow

Minstral25

Established Member
Just looking at services today on Southern's live departures it seems the Metro changes have removed 4 coaches from most routes.

London Bridge to East Croydon Via Tulse Hill and London Bridge to Beckenham Junction are all 5 coach trains - I guess as running to Tulse Hill is every 15 minutes now so that provides capacity on busiest part of route
London Bridge to Caterham is mostly 10 car trains with odd 8 car presumably to enable the split at Purley
London Bridge to Epsom is same as Caterham as trains seem to interlink
London Bridge to London Victoria via Sydenham/Balham is mixed 10 car and 8 car services
London Victoria to West Croydon is same as LBG to VIC services
London Victoria to Epsom Downs via Norbury is 8 car services
London Victoria to Dorking/Horsham via Epsom are 8/10 car but at least one diagram seems to be a single 5 car

The two 4 car routes left are Watford Junction to East Croydon and Victoria to Reigate

PGAT

Established Member
Just looking at services today on Southern's live departures it seems the Metro changes have removed 4 coaches from most routes.

London Bridge to East Croydon Via Tulse Hill and London Bridge to Beckenham Junction are all 5 coach trains - I guess as running to Tulse Hill is every 15 minutes now so that provides capacity on busiest part of route
London Bridge to Caterham is mostly 10 car trains with odd 8 car presumably to enable the split at Purley
London Bridge to Epsom is same as Caterham as trains seem to interlink
London Bridge to London Victoria via Sydenham/Balham is mixed 10 car and 8 car services
London Victoria to West Croydon is same as LBG to VIC services
London Victoria to Epsom Downs via Norbury is 8 car services
London Victoria to Dorking/Horsham via Epsom are 8/10 car but at least one diagram seems to be a single 5 car

The two 4 car routes left are Watford Junction to East Croydon and Victoria to Reigate
I’m lucky to be living on the Victoria-Epsom Downs route, no disruptions! We only lost the extra 2tph terminating at Sutton but this is relatively benign compared to other stuff going on.

Also seems like extra Reigate services are being extended to 8/12 coaches and running to Gatwick Airport. The only one I know of is the 0708 from Victoria but there’s presumably more I don’t know about

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Also seems like extra Reigate services are being extended to 8/12 coaches and running to Gatwick Airport. The only one I know of is the 0708 from Victoria but there’s presumably more I don’t know about
0708, 0738 and 0808 from Victoria convey a Gatwick portion as do the 1608, 1638, 1708, 1738, 1808 and 1838. The rear part of the last four of these runs to Three Bridges.

Peak Reigate trains have conveyed a Gatwick or Three Bridges portion since May 2018 as it is the only way to provide the capacity needed for the Redhill line.

PGAT

Established Member
Peak Reigate trains have conveyed a Gatwick or Three Bridges portion since May 2018 as it is the only way to provide the capacity needed for the Redhill line.
Yes but not all of these ran before the new timetable

WizCastro197

Established Member
Unfortunately won't change any time soon :(
Although we still do get the xx:31 and the xx:01 in the Mornings from Earlswood and also providing extra coaches.

Class 466

Established Member
The 0732 BTN - WWO is now booked a 4 car 387. Most GX are 8 cars with 387s on more coastway work.

Andy1673

07:32 is a Brighton to Southampton service. Maybe you`ve meant 07:11 Brigton to West Worthing.
It`s very funny. For much longer journeys such as Brighton to Portsmouth we have old 313 but we are enjoying 387 for 20ish minutes journey to Worthing )))

Urban Gateline

Established Member
It`s very funny. For much longer journeys such as Brighton to Portsmouth we have old 313 but we are enjoying 387 for 20ish minutes journey to Worthing )))
If you think that's funny, there was a 4 car 387 doing Brighton to Hove Shuttles on Saturday 20th August :lol:

Class 466

Established Member
07:32 is a Brighton to Southampton service. Maybe you`ve meant 07:11 Brigton to West Worthing.
That's the one!

If you think that's funny, there was a 4 car 387 doing Brighton to Hove Shuttles on Saturday 20th August :lol:
I believe that was a strike day, on strike days the Hove Shuttle is a 387

PGAT

Established Member
I believe that was a strike day, on strike days the Hove Shuttle is a 387
Once I was at Sutton station at some point in June or July (I forgot the exact date) where an early morning Horsham train was a 12 car GX 387.

Status
Not open for further replies.