• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegRail148

Thanks for your help guys, logged on again this morning and there is dates showing for July, August and September so i'm all booked in for the assesment centre. May and June are super busy for me at work so July is perfect as it gives me some time to prepare. Good luck all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Inamberclad

I’ll be honest if you all, once you pass everything Assessments + DMI + MMI you will probably still have to wait a year or two before you get called up for a medical and start to training. With Southern it’s an exceptionally long drawn out process. They don’t have enough trainers so people who applied for positions in 2016 seem to just be getting called up now.

Second this. *IF* I ever get called up it will be at least 3 years since passing the initial assessments.

Inamberclad

Ashford depot with TL. Just because a TOC has advertised for drivers doesn't necessarily mean there are vacancies or they are ready to begin training.

Jimmy Jams!

I’m waiting for Southern Metro, they haven’t actually told me what depot I’m waiting for, did they tell you? I believe Im being lined up for Selhurst, Norwood and yourself?

Elrey

I’ll be honest if you all, once you pass everything Assessments + DMI + MMI you will probably still have to wait a year or two before you get called up for a medical and start to training. With Southern it’s an exceptionally long drawn out process. They don’t have enough trainers so people who applied for positions in 2016 seem to just be getting called up now.

Eeeesh, so a year waiting was wishful thinking i see... I applied for Metro and coastal, but I’m more near Selhurst/Norwood depots. Guess I’ll keep my day job for longer then... how long have you been waiting?

Jimmy Jams!

I’ve been waiting for my medical since September 2018 but I know guys that have been waiting for 2 years before they got a call up.

Elro

Does anyone know if the MMI will be on the same day as the assessment centre or a different day? Thank you.

Quin79

Does anyone know if the MMI will be on the same day as the assessment centre or a different day? Thank you.

From previous recent trainees separate day. I'd personally prepare anyway in case they change the process. Can never be over prepared

Tomo1062

It doesn’t hurt to prepare but as far as I Know. It’s a full on day and will always get called back for MMI. GTR always do DMI first so I wouldn’t worry

baz962

Established Member
It doesn’t hurt to prepare but as far as I Know. It’s a full on day and will always get called back for MMI. GTR always do DMI first so I wouldn’t worry

I did my psychometric's with gtr and I did mmi first.

Tomo1062

I stand corrected then. Well I guess preparation is the key and then your covered for any eventuality

Monkeyboy

Hey guys, I know a number of you on here have recently passed your Mini Scaats and well done for doing so. I've got to do mine with GTR some time this week and wondered if you guys know if in your actual online mini scaat tests, whether they used symbols, letters numbers or all three. I've been practicing for it but would appreciate some help.

Do you also know how long it took and how long for each separate test.

Elrey

Hey guys, I know a number of you on here have recently passed your Mini Scaats and well done for doing so. I've got to do mine with GTR some time this week and wondered if you guys know if in your actual online mini scaat tests, whether they used symbols, letters numbers or all three. I've been practicing for it but would appreciate some help.

Do you also know how long it took and how long for each separate test.

Hey,

So it’s all letters from what I can remember and about two tests I think. Have a look on the OPC website they have a practice one which was very similar to the online MiniSCAAT.
Not sure how long but I feel I did go quite quickly. But was pretty simple once you get a feel for it.

Monkeyboy

thanks for the advice. I've been on the OPC site and bought the practice tests. They have tests using letters, numbers and symbols.

if you've already taken them, do you know how far through the online test you got before the time completed? I'm under the impression that you're unlikely to complete the test but that the emphasis is more in accuracy than speed.

mresh91

Emphasis is on both speed and accuracy. They don't expect superhuman abilities, but I done my one last minute and felt I didn't do too well but still passed. It's not as hard as you might think.

Monkeyboy

thanks for the input. I've got to do the online test by Monday so will do it on Sunday and practice until then.

Midranger1093

I'm in the same position. I've been told accuracy over speed, but there's obviously a speed they are looking for so bit unsure.

Would be interesting to know from those who have passed the test roughly how far they were getting down each page.

I'm going to do over the weekend also, mainly because I've been too knackered after work everyday this week and want to take test when the mind and eyes are fresh haha.

Elrey

I'm in the same position. I've been told accuracy over speed, but there's obviously a speed they are looking for so bit unsure.

Would be interesting to know from those who have passed the test roughly how far they were getting down each page.

I'm going to do over the weekend also, mainly because I've been too knackered after work everyday this week and want to take test when the mind and eyes are fresh haha.

Always accuracy over speed. I did it a couple of months ago so can’t really remember but I feel like I may have done around 6 or 7 lines.
Good luck!

Midranger1093

Always accuracy over speed. I did it a couple of months ago so can’t really remember but I feel like I may have done around 6 or 7 lines.
Good luck!

Ok cheers mate. I'd say that's around the pace I've been practising at.

Status
Not open for further replies.