• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Established Member
Transdev are doing £1 returns on the CityZap bus between Leeds and York until the end of August. Also if you download their app you get a free day ticket for any of their buses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6700

_toommm_

Established Member
Funnily enough, I was wondering about that two weeks ago when I did a fares enquiry using the Northern website. When I clicked on "Click here to check if slower routes with cheaper tickets are available", I noticed "Sale Advance" (Ap Northern Only) fares at 10p, 50p, £1.00 and £1.50, but with no availability.

I think the fares for those are pretty much always in the system - they’re just normally suppressed so you can’t buy them when Northern doesn’t have the offer on.

What I would really love to see is TPE’s £1 sale again!

D6700

I think the fares for those are pretty much always in the system - they’re just normally suppressed so you can’t buy them when Northern doesn’t have the offer on.

What I would really love to see is TPE’s £1 sale again!
I did wonder if they were a hangover from before, but don't recall 50p, £1 and £1.50 sale fares. I remember the 10p ones very well, though :)

I'd also love to see TPE do something proactive - especially as there will have been a lot of £1 fares purchased last time that ended up in the bin.

skyhigh

Established Member
The aforementioned 50p/£1/£1.50?

Still a good deal tbf with some of the distances you could cover with them.
All will be revealed soon, but you shouldn't be disappointed with what's released.

Separately, as part of a trial, for this week only (until Friday 20/08) £1.50 advance fares will be available for travel after 7pm on the following routes where capacity exists:
Bradford Forster Square – Ilkley
Bradford Forster Square – Skipton
Leeds – Ilkley
Leeds – Skipton

Karl

On Moderation
I'd be happy if Northern would bring back their £10 newspaper ranger offer. I used to love days out for a tenner.

Liam L

The aforementioned 50p/£1/£1.50?

Still a good deal tbf with some of the distances you could cover with them.
Great deal, from Wolverhampton if get advance £2.80 on LNR and then one of those fares, to Manchester from Stoke. Great deal :D

westv

Established Member
It's been a very long time since a LNER/VTEC/EC seat sale was of use on my route. :'(

Silver Cobra

It's been quite a while since the last time LNER had a seat sale. Bagged myself a return journey from Peterborough to York on 7th October for £14 all in.

coxy

Bagged myself some cheap LNER tickets too.

However a warning, make sure you have an LNER account BEFORE booking, and you have logged in, otherwise it gets messy !!!

I wasn't logged in, didn't have an account, but was able to reserve the seats I wanted. But before being able to pay I was asked to log in. Got redirected to a page to create an account, then found they already had my details (most likely from East Coast days), so I had to request a password reset.

When I got back to the LNER site, there was no sign of my previous bookings, nothing in my "basket", so I went through the whole reservation process once more. Only after paying for the tickets did the website show that my original bookings had been kept, so had now paid for 2 sets of tickets.

Thankfully I was able to speak with somebody at LNER who was very helpful. There seemed to have been some IT work done on the site, and this wasn't the first time that double bookings had been made, the "basket" isn't showing your original reservations. They managed to get my 2nd set of tickets cancelled, and a refund will be forthcoming.

Looking forward to the trip though.

YorkC

I think there's been problems more broadly - when booking tickets on this offer I had that availability disappeared between screens, or even dotting between different times when checking availability.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
They're very annoying. No availability Keighley to Ribblehead, but I could buy Leeds to Ribblehead.

dfurn

Haha, it's crashed the website again.
Even last night at midnight it was letting me select tickets but not authorise payment. In the end tried paying by PayPal (with the same card) and that worked fine. Might be useful information it they have further payment problems today.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm not a fan of these gimmicky flash sales that rely on advanced purchases myself. The old day rover offers used to be better.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I'm not a fan of these gimmicky flash sales that rely on advanced purchases myself. The old day rover offers used to be better.
As the fares are so cheap I tend to book two separate return trains for £1 each so if the weather turns or my plans change I still have some fliexibility. You can't complain at paying £3 for a Sheffield to Scarborough day trip!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As the fares are so cheap I tend to book two separate return trains for £1 each so if the weather turns or my plans change I still have some fliexibility. You can't complain at paying £3 for a Sheffield to Scarborough day trip!
No, but they have validity between all stations - they don't rely on your local station being one they've defined the advances as being available for.

Skymonster

Established Member
Its been good - three nice round trips in September (Leeds-Carlisle, Sheffield-Manchester, Sheffield-Scarborough) for a total of £6.00 so far... :)