• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speechless.. Santa 'promotes obesity and drink-driving'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai.

Established Member
Dr Nathan Grills and illustrator Brendan Halyday, from Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, said the current image of Santa promotes obesity, drink-driving, speeding and a general unhealthy lifestyle.

Santa’s universal fame means he is used by companies around the globe to sell all kinds of products, including unhealthy foods, they went on.

For example, there is very high awareness of Santa among young children - higher than the McDonald’s Ronald McDonald.

“If Ronald McDonald can be so effective at selling burgers to children, we might expect Santa to be equally effective at selling other goods,” said the study's author.

Writing in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), the authors said Santa used to also sell cigarettes but that has now been banned.

They went on to provide a full list of Santa’s unhealthy behaviours, including encouraging fathers to step in and eat leftover mince pies, thereby expanding their own waistlines.

With billions of homes to visit, Santa is also soon over the drink-driving limit due to too many brandies and sherries.

“Other dangerous activities that Santa could be accused of promoting include speeding, disregard for road rules, and extreme sports such as roof surfing and chimney jumping.

“Despite the risks of high speed air travel Santa is never depicted wearing a seatbelt or a helmet.”

With Santa coughing or sneezing up to 10 times a day, he may also pass on infections such as swine flu to children, the authors wrote.

A shortage of Santa "helpers" means people are never checked for any illnesses they may be carrying or given help to protect them from sick children.

The authors conclude there is a need for Santa to undergo an image overhaul - one that promotes healthy living.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/santa-promotes-obesity-and-drink-driving-438672.html#ixzz0a0AAfBSX

You've got to wonder what these people do in their free-time, it's for one month a year and it's not exactly like children are going to fly over-speed in a sleigh and I doubt their parents would let them drink..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43021HST

Established Member
Dr Nathan Grills and illustrator Brendan Halyday, from Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, said the current image of Santa promotes obesity, drink-driving, speeding and a general unhealthy lifestyle.

Santa’s universal fame means he is used by companies around the globe to sell all kinds of products, including unhealthy foods, they went on.

For example, there is very high awareness of Santa among young children - higher than the McDonald’s Ronald McDonald.

“If Ronald McDonald can be so effective at selling burgers to children, we might expect Santa to be equally effective at selling other goods,” said the study's author.

Writing in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), the authors said Santa used to also sell cigarettes but that has now been banned.

They went on to provide a full list of Santa’s unhealthy behaviours, including encouraging fathers to step in and eat leftover mince pies, thereby expanding their own waistlines.

With billions of homes to visit, Santa is also soon over the drink-driving limit due to too many brandies and sherries.

“Other dangerous activities that Santa could be accused of promoting include speeding, disregard for road rules, and extreme sports such as roof surfing and chimney jumping.

“Despite the risks of high speed air travel Santa is never depicted wearing a seatbelt or a helmet.”

With Santa coughing or sneezing up to 10 times a day, he may also pass on infections such as swine flu to children, the authors wrote.

A shortage of Santa "helpers" means people are never checked for any illnesses they may be carrying or given help to protect them from sick children.

The authors conclude there is a need for Santa to undergo an image overhaul - one that promotes healthy living.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/santa-promotes-obesity-and-drink-driving-438672.html#ixzz0a0AAfBSX

You've got to wonder what these people do in their free-time, it's for one month a year and it's not exactly like children are going to fly over-speed in a sleigh and I doubt their parents would let them drink..

I HATE POLITCAL CORRECTNESS WHOEVER WROTE THE REPORT IS A COMPLETE B******. Santa hasnt affected past generations so why should he be a bad example now. Stupid crumbling society

Geezertronic

Established Member
I don't know about wishing it would be Christmas every day but when I see crap like this, I do wonder whether it is April 1st every day.

Some people just have too much time on their hands, maybe they were on the naughty list and didn't get their Superman cape when they were little (Reference: the character Clyde Northcutt in the film Fred Claus - sad I know but the subject of this thread has to be sadder :D )

Oswyntail

Established Member
I HATE POLITCAL CORRECTNESS WHOEVER WROTE THE REPORT IS A COMPLETE B******. Santa hasnt affected past generations so why should he be a bad example now. Stupid crumbling society
Has it ever occurred to anyone here (I select this rant at random) that even scientists have been known to put jokes in reputable journals to lighten the atmosphere at this time of year? Or are they not allowed to have fun in the same way that we mere mortals do? Perhaps the Elf and Safety lot should require any writing that displays humour to have the title "THIS IS A JOKE ARTICLE"

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Has it ever occurred to anyone here (I select this rant at random) that even scientists have been known to put jokes in reputable journals to lighten the atmosphere?
Indeed; who remembers the formula for the best bacon sarnie a few years ago from Leeds University? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6538643.stm

@klambert I'd hardly describe this article as an example of Political Correctness, which, FWIW I do not believe exists. It's merely reporting how Santa is being used as a consumer tool to promote overeating and overspending which may take months, years or never even be worn off!

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
It is santa's reputation to be a fat b****** and has not affected past generations so why should it now.

It would put me off of food and drink having a fat unshaven alcholic man who likes kids put on the front of a food or drink product rather than make me more hungry or thirsty.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is santa's reputation to be a fat b****** and has not affected past generations so why should it now.
Evidence? I think many of the things that affect us have also affected past generations. Yes, there may be stories about how parents use so much antibacterial stuff it is wiping out the immune systems of their children, but putting on weight is hardly new.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What a load of tosh. Nobody has banned Christmas or renamed it "Winterval."

mumrar

Established Member
I'm never a fan of when people trying to ban anything. There are 2 things to be considered.
Firstly the roly-poly bespectacled Santa is a more recent invention of Coca-Colas doing, and secondly, this is about how it affects children of 3 years old onwards. At that age children are VERY impressioned by what they see, as I'm just learning first hand.

Swift-Deere

Christmas don't offend people of other faiths just as the like of ramadan, Diwali, Passover or chinese new year doesn't offend Christians

It just a bunch of overly liberal PC obsessed Bureaucrats sat in council offices trying to earn brownie points for looking like the care for minority groups while in reality all they are doing as alienating minority groups even more, giving the racist (or other anti-minority groups) more ammo and spoiling the fun of everyone else!!!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Christmas don't offend people of other faiths just as the like of ramadan, Diwali, Passover or chinese new year doesn't offend Christians
And I want to see an example of where Christmas has been "banned."

If anyone rolls out that "Winterval" nonsense again then let me tell you now: it was a fabrication by the media. Winterval did exist however it was not a replacement for Christmas!

What's Christianity got to do with Christmas?!
Exactly. Christmas in modern Britain is about a massive tree in the town centre, sparkly lights on the high street, meeting friends and family, a few days off work, buying and exchanging presents and a Christmas dinner. Jesus who?

Swift-Deere

And I want to see an example of where Christmas has been "banned."

If anyone rolls out that "Winterval" nonsense again then let me tell you now: it was a fabrication by the media. Winterval did exist however it was not a replacement for Christmas!

Exactly. Christmas in modern Britain is about a massive tree in the town centre, sparkly lights on the high street, meeting friends and family, a few days off work, buying and exchanging presents and a Christmas dinner. Jesus who?

Christmas lights have been renamed winter lights in many towns/cities, of course the media do over exaggerate the situation but there have been some cases also i have heard examples of carols being banned

on the subject of Christianity many christmas cards still feature religious scenes, most if not all schools have a nativity play and most people put a star or angel atop of the christmas tree, presents represent the 3 kings gifts and the name CHRISTmas represents Christianity!!!

Old Timer

Established Member
Yes but lets be honest, what impact does FC have on children ? Most of them simply see him as a figure who appears at Christmas and "gives" then toys ! They have no reasoning to equate his size with anything at all, they accept him for what he is.

Why cannot people let little children have their innocence, it is soon lost.

What's Christianity got to do with Christmas?!
Literally or figuratively ?

Last edited:

Dai.

Established Member
Yes but lets be honest, what impact does FC have on children ? Most of them simply see him as a figure who appears at Christmas and "gives" then toys ! They have no reasoning to equate his size with anything at all, they accept him for what he is.

Why cannot people let little children have their innocence, it is soon lost.

I was waiting for you to post on this thread, I thought your insight would have been larger and a much better argument

jon0844

Veteran Member
My Christmas 'question' was clearly meant to be read tongue-in-cheeck, although - that said - the date was arguably celebrated long before Christians hijacked it and called it Christmas.

I've been out and seen carol singers all over the place - including loads at St Pancras (for different organisations too) so I am not certain there's any proof of it being banned. Nor am I aware of anyone calling stuff 'winter lights'. Well, unless someone misread a safety notice recommending people use their headlights at all times in the winter!

Now that would be good advice, especially to those who didn't even turn their lights on today when it was snowing!!

Dai.

Established Member
Can we see some proof of this?

The proof is everywhere,

For example many businesses a couple years ago got forced to use 'Seasons Greetings' instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

They were small changes, mostly and the press was also minimal.

jon0844

Veteran Member
'Seasons Greetings' has been used on cards since the early 1900s, so I am not sure where you got that idea from. The cards are used to give best wishes to people for the holiday season, not just Christmas.

Dai.

Established Member
'Seasons Greetings' has been used on cards since the early 1900s, so I am not sure where you got that idea from. The cards are used to give best wishes to people for the holiday season, not just Christmas.

It wasn't an idea and I didn't say cards did I?

I pointed out businesses were told to use Seasons Greetings, which I mean adverts, billboards. etc..

Cards have used it for years, I know.. but as I said at the start of my other post, 'Businesses' were forced.

Established Member
Honestly, this is political correctness gone too far - actually it's already done that!

Status
Not open for further replies.