• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT Tendered Routes

Observer

Can't interfere with commercial services (ie 34/35) it's why the Croy Station routes have restrictions on pickup and setdown.

And as for being miles away from their home they did eventually register placing journeys as the 44:

Ignore the URL name, it's not right. In any case if you have issues raise them with SPT although chances are they won't be interested.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WHL Spotter

It seems Travel line nor bus times can keep up with these changes.
Traveling Scotland get their data from SPT, due to evolving situation SPT are currently not processed service data as there is no way of keeping up they have had 2 years worth of service changes in 3 months.
Bus times get there data from the Traveline Data Set, the chain is currently broken really

overthewater

Established Member
Traveling Scotland get their data from SPT, due to evolving situation SPT are currently not processed service data as there is no way of keeping up they have had 2 years worth of service changes in 3 months.
Bus times get there data from the Traveline Data Set, the chain is currently broken really

Alas the week link is SPT, however Bus times doesn't get ALL it's Date set from Traveline right now, it seems to be getting it direct from certain major companies.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Noticed it on Glasgow Road towards Clydebank too with the 11. Some of the bus stops had new timetables with First running it but not all of them. Some still have Mcgills on it because they've not been updated

DC21

SPT must be considering cuts to services, The 248 McGills from Holytown to Wishaw General is a fresh air special. First could run the 240 at night into Pather as would take 5 mins max on timetable and a lot of people there buy weekly tickets and have no evening service from first.

PaulMc7

Established Member
SPT must be considering cuts to services, The 248 McGills from Holytown to Wishaw General is a fresh air special. First could run the 240 at night into Pather as would take 5 mins max on timetable and a lot of people there buy weekly tickets and have no evening service from first.

Fully agree with this tbh. It's a problem with a lot of the SPT services and why they carry fresh air. If a SPT service isn't operated by the same company as the rest of the services in the area it tends to run fairly dead. Can't think of any services I've seen that buck that trend tbh. They might be out there but I've not seen many. 59 at times when First had it was busy sometimes and the 29 too but I did see both empty sometimes too

route101

Established Member
Fully agree with this tbh. It's a problem with a lot of the SPT services and why they carry fresh air. If a SPT service isn't operated by the same company as the rest of the services in the area it tends to run fairly dead. Can't think of any services I've seen that buck that trend tbh. They might be out there but I've not seen many. 59 at times when First had it was busy sometimes and the 29 too but I did see both empty sometimes too

Yeah , surely there has to be an agreement to allow passengers to use the service witha first pass.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think personally if you want to get the best of a contract tender service you need to allow all operator tickets on it. They're supposed to be "vital" links yet going by how quiet a lot of them are you could hardly call them vital

Robert cusick

It would be better to extend the 211 to Wishaw general to cover the Holytown and New Stevenston part of the 248 route And the also extend the 355 to Wishaw General to cover the Newarthill and Carfin part of the route

Last edited:

lastbus

I’d like to see you try going round Pather at night with a full sized bus in 5 mins and yes people there buy weekly tickets but is there any demand for a service in pather at night? I don’t think so.

DC21

I’d like to see you try going round Pather at night with a full sized bus in 5 mins and yes people there buy weekly tickets but is there any demand for a service in pather at night? I don’t think so.
Theres a good chance there would be. People are put off using McGills 248 because the prices of tickets.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Theres a good chance there would be. People are put off using McGills 248 because the prices of tickets.
The fare scale is set by SPT. They could also specify that day/weekly etc tickets issued by the commercial operator on the route had to be accepted on the tendered journeys, but they choose not to.

route101

Established Member
When Henderson Travel were still around and they operated the SPT 89/90, they accepted First's tickets with no issues.

Sensible approach. Not fair on the customer who has paid for a day ticket or season.

overthewater

Established Member
When it comes to council contract they is alot of double standard if a main operators season ticket is accepted.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Sensible approach. Not fair on the customer who has paid for a day ticket or season.
Unless it’s a minimum cost contract, it’s only sensible if you’ve assumed little or no revenue, when calculating your winning tender price. Some local authorities stipulate this in their contract specification, but I’m not aware that SPT have ever done so.

PaulMc7

Established Member
A lot of services reverting back to their original operator on the 23rd.

Was trying to work out what services I would keep or axe if I was SPT and honestly it's tough to choose

route101

Established Member

Was trying to work out what services I would keep or axe if I was SPT and honestly it's tough to choose

See quite a few cart around fresh air.

The problem SPT will have is that for every service they propose to withdraw, even if it does carry fresh air on some journeys, there will be an online petition, screaming councillors, Facebook protests, and articles about how evil SPT is withdrawing vital services in The Glasgow Times, etc.
Those self same councillors will probably also be voting through cuts to the amount of money their council gives to SPT in the first place.

Something will have to give though, and if it isn't buses, then it might be the rail concession fares instead... The scheme was in trouble before coronavirus, and it might be seen as an easy target to save money all round.

Attachments

• SCTS060320_Agenda6.pdf
    594.2 KB · Views: 30

PaulMc7

Established Member
The problem SPT will have is that for every service they propose to withdraw, even if it does carry fresh air on some journeys, there will be an online petition, screaming councillors, Facebook protests, and articles about how evil SPT is withdrawing vital services in The Glasgow Times, etc.
Those self same councillors will probably also be voting through cuts to the amount of money their council gives to SPT in the first place.

Something will have to give though, and if it isn't buses, then it might be the rail concession fares instead... The scheme was in trouble before coronavirus, and it might be seen as an easy target to save money all round.

Councillors especially of late have been extremely vocal with cuts whether it's First, Stagecoach etc plus the danger is leaving places completely isolated which then causes further backlash. Yeah seems feasible really. Definitely think we are in for a tough year or 2 ahead for bus use and other public transport in general so SPT, government, councils and the public in general will need to come up with the smartest ways to save and not cut off areas completely

Not half!

An unenviable task that will need to happen at some point, as this situation can't go on where they have to pick up the pieces for everything being cut. They have been saying this for ages and ages now and its even more true today.

Where would you even start with choosing what to keep and what you would abandon?

Some of the proper "vital" services and I mean actually "VITAL" services like on Arran and Loch Lomond/Vale of Leven and Garelochhead/Kilcreggan and very rural areas in deepest South Lanarkshire and South Ayrshire really are already run close to the bone on efficiency and removing bus services from there would be disastrous.

How would they even then justify a removal of a service in one area, but keep another service going in another area?

made even worse because the SPT is by its own principals formed of polticians from across the political spectrum.

Observer

MyBus back from Monday 17th August, surprised that it wasn't the same date as the 23rd considering a lot of the temporary work ended up with MyBus operators with spare vehicles and drivers lying around.
Back on Board!

MyBus are delighted to confirm that a restricted service will resume from Monday 17 August, advance bookings can be requested from Monday 10 August (note revised booking hours are in operation and all booking lines will close at 3pm).

Please note that due to Covid#19 safety guidelines, we will operate a reduced and restricted service and we thank you for your understanding and patience. The MyBus team look forward to welcoming you safely back on board!

PaulMc7

Established Member
Not half!

An unenviable task that will need to happen at some point, as this situation can't go on where they have to pick up the pieces for everything being cut. They have been saying this for ages and ages now and its even more true today.

Where would you even start with choosing what to keep and what you would abandon?

Some of the proper "vital" services and I mean actually "VITAL" services like on Arran and Loch Lomond/Vale of Leven and Garelochhead/Kilcreggan and very rural areas in deepest South Lanarkshire and South Ayrshire really are already run close to the bone on efficiency and removing bus services from there would be disastrous.

How would they even then justify a removal of a service in one area, but keep another service going in another area?

made even worse because the SPT is by its own principals formed of polticians from across the political spectrum.

It's such a mess and obviously covid hasn't helped either. Big cuts are coming from operators and there's been a lot of public pressure for SPT to cover literally everything. I believe in every area having a bus but even as creative as I've been trying to piece together ideas for revamps I'm at a loss for SPT. Somethings gotta happen whether they join in cutting things or get some sort of extra funding and pretty soon.

We don't even know how the subway will recover either and if that struggles then there's going to be major problems regardless

Stef434

The242 can hardly do it daytime in 5 minutes without driving along the pavements for most of the time

PaulMc7

Established Member
Was having a think of what SPT could run as a more efficient network and what services they could get away without.

The problem is definitely the train being so viable imo. A lot of the areas with fresh air specials either compete with commercial services if the routes are changed or there's a busy train station or 2 nearby

Definitely think something has to change though. The new 31B service between Carmunnock and East Kilbride is one bus only and to be fair actually does a good job of giving a bus to an area that isn't as covered by anything else. East Kilbride train station is an option into Glasgow so it made sense for the new tender to be the section First got rid of

awsnews

https://bustimes.org/services/100-glasgow-riverside-museum Noticed Community Transport Glasgow have taken over the 100 (Probs the 200th operator to operate this) is this just temp and what are they using as only spare bus they have is a transit van unless they have been given the E200MMC that was used before
They should have taken over not long after lockdown started but the transfer was deferred. They have a number of electric Mellor Orions which can be used, the E200MMC used previously wasn't an SPT vehicle so couldn't be given to them anyway.

Zakforbes4

They should have taken over not long after lockdown started but the transfer was deferred. They have a number of electric Mellor Orions which can be used, the E200MMC used previously wasn't an SPT vehicle so couldn't be given to them anyway.
Wonder why they won the contacts as people who see buses like that will probably assume its a mybus or something