• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT Tendered Routes

Observer

Wonder why they won the contacts as people who see buses like that will probably assume its a mybus or something
And given how many times the 100 has faced the chop, the electric Orions are good enough for the job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
And given how many times the 100 has faced the chop, the electric Orions are good enough for the job.

One time i used it late last year and it had a decent load, could be a bit tight on an Orion. The E200MMC used on it previously seemed ideal.

WHL Spotter

The 100 is no longer a contract managed by SPT for Glasgow City Council. Glasgow City Council never advertised the route this time, Community Transport Glasgow are operating on a social enterprise agreement.
The E200MMC is owned by Garelochhead and can be found operating the 302 route from Helensburgh to Carrick Castle

route101

Established Member
Dont think ive ever seen the 100 busy, i guess most tourists get the tour bus.

sannox

I saw the JMB 31B at 5pm last week. Not a single person on it...

I think a lot of SPT routes work on minimum vehicle requirements and maximum coverage- you have a bus - doesn't matter how useless it is in terms of route, there is a bus serving that area. Tick. Some of the SPT timetables are ridiculously tight too, we are talking zero time for delays.

I'd like to see routes reviewed, and I would agree daytime operator tickets must be accepted like other areas (Nexus do this I think). Some routes have even seen daytime removed but continue to operate subsidised at night!

PaulMc7

Established Member
I saw the JMB 31B at 5pm last week. Not a single person on it...

I think a lot of SPT routes work on minimum vehicle requirements and maximum coverage- you have a bus - doesn't matter how useless it is in terms of route, there is a bus serving that area. Tick. Some of the SPT timetables are ridiculously tight too, we are talking zero time for delays.

I'd like to see routes reviewed, and I would agree daytime operator tickets must be accepted like other areas (Nexus do this I think). Some routes have even seen daytime removed but continue to operate subsidised at night!

Yeah that 31B was formed purely off of political and Facebook pressure so I'm not surprised by it being empty. The 13 from East Kilbride to Hamilton through Strathaven is a great example of being incredibly tight timetabled. Practically an hour route but with only a minute of recovery time at each end. It's crazy how that can be expected to stay on time in that situation.

I think if a review was to happen they'd get a pleasant surprise as to just how many of the routes aren't as essential as people thought. There are some that are but I doubt it's even half of them

route101

Established Member
What is being used on the 31B currently?

Good question,i havent seen it. I imagine them green merc vans.

Yeah that 31B was formed purely off of political and Facebook pressure so I'm not surprised by it being empty. The 13 from East Kilbride to Hamilton through Strathaven is a great example of being incredibly tight timetabled. Practically an hour route but with only a minute of recovery time at each end. It's crazy how that can be expected to stay on time in that situation.

I think if a review was to happen they'd get a pleasant surprise as to just how many of the routes aren't as essential as people thought. There are some that are but I doubt it's even half of them

That 13 makes me laugh. In the evening it runs to and from East Kilbride Station. Never seen anyone use it there. As for the 31b , they shouldnt of split the route,they would get more custom if it continued through to the City Centre.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
That 13 makes me laugh. In the evening it runs to and from East Kilbride Station. Never seen anyone use it there. As for the 31b , they shouldnt of split the route,they would get more custom if it continued through to the City Centre.
[/QUOTE]

I think I've only ever seen that 13 once and it was when I was at the balloon festival in Strathaven and even then it was empty. I don't even think that would have helped tbh. It's the cost of having to pay for a JMB ticket and then a First one at Carmunnock. Talking around £8 just for 2 tickets combined. Not worth it at all. If the tender had gone to First I reckon it might have had a chance of being used and now it's worrying considering it's being monitored constantly to see how it does. If it doesn't go well then it's probably gone

route101

Established Member

I think I've only ever seen that 13 once and it was when I was at the balloon festival in Strathaven and even then it was empty. I don't even think that would have helped tbh. It's the cost of having to pay for a JMB ticket and then a First one at Carmunnock. Talking around £8 just for 2 tickets combined. Not worth it at all. If the tender had gone to First I reckon it might have had a chance of being used and now it's worrying considering it's being monitored constantly to see how it does. If it doesn't go well then it's probably gone
[/QUOTE]

First should of run it as 31b from Glasgow to was Kilbride hourly. Not done that 13 in years. Might do it, might get off in strathaven.

Zakforbes4

[/QUOTE]
I've done the 13 about 9 times (once got stuck near quarter as sheep were on the road) but never done the 256 also that 229 how does that make money going round eddlewood as ive never seen anyone get on or off the 13 there

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah that 229 is a strange one but it does interwork with the 227 so that probably saves First some money. Seen it busy during the day once or twice but I doubt there's any demand in evenings for anything in Hamilton given how there's a few SPT tenders around

route101

Established Member
It is the Green Merc Vans. TBH from what I've seen could have sent a mini.

I thought it would be one of them, they use them on the 13 to. For some reason i had in my head a wee E200 running it. I don wonder if any are using it. You take a bus off , bring it back with another operator with the route in half and you get even less using it.

Seen the 31B at EK bus station.

One of them merc vans , not strata like McGills.

I noted no timetable for the 31B, YET the old 31 timetable is still up. Someone boarded asking the driver where this bus went , sounded like just a few stops.

Last edited:

Zakforbes4

I thought it would be one of them, they use them on the 13 to. For some reason i had in my head a wee E200 running it. I don wonder if any are using it. You take a bus off , bring it back with another operator with the route in half and you get even less using it.

Seen the 31B at EK bus station.

One of them merc vans , not strata like McGills.

I noted no timetable for the 31B, YET the old 31 timetable is still up. Someone boarded asking the driver where this bus went , sounded like just a few stops.
The timetable ain’t on bustimes.org either for whatever reason

overthewater

Established Member
If anyone has NOT released, West Lothian Tender no71 blue bus is come off a today. This revised service seems to spilt tender between West Lothian and SPT and since its only requires the one bus to cover the gap etc its pretty much cost neutral. So its a win win for everyone. Remember they will be extra Forth - Lanark runs at somewhere around 07.30 and 08.58?

They is still a missing run at 18.30 from livingston, so it that been scrapped.

lastbus

If anyone has NOT released, West Lothian Tender no71 blue bus is come off a today. This revised service seems to spilt tender between West Lothian and SPT and since its only requires the one bus to cover the gap etc its pretty much cost neutral. So its a win win for everyone. Remember they will be extra Forth - Lanark runs at somewhere around 07.30 and 08.58?

They is still a missing run at 18.30 from livingston, so it that been scrapped.
According to timetable the shotts to Livingston section is operated commercially.

overthewater

Established Member
According to timetable the shotts to Livingston section is operated commercially.

No, the section between Forth and West Calder is paid for by the two councils and the extension from West Calder to livingston is commercially. Its is pretty a full replacement for Blue bus No71 which did parlty operate under tender Ie the section via Breich

Last edited:

NorthClyde320

Services 6b and 118 are changing operator to McColls with service 6b now operating in buchanan bus station

evening service 248 now being operated by stuarts

202 also being operated by stuarts

The 132 currently operated by McGill's is to be operated by Craigs Of Cumbernauld from this Sunday (25th) aswell, I overheard a driver on the 202 saying that the the service makes no money and doesn't even cover driver costs, but shouldn't this be taken into account when submitting bids for tendered routes?

Or could this be McGill's starting to wind down Coatbridge depot?

awsnews

The 132 currently operated by McGill's is to be operated by Craigs Of Cumbernauld from this Sunday (25th) aswell, I overheard a driver on the 202 saying that the the service makes no money and doesn't even cover driver costs, but shouldn't this be taken into account when submitting bids for tendered routes?

Or could this be McGill's starting to wind down Coatbridge depot?
I notice that SPT haven't put any change to the 132 on their timetables section yet, however all of the services listed as changing are currently 'add ons' to MyBus contracts. The 6B and 118 are part of the East Dunbartonshire DRT contract whilst the 132, 202 and 248 are part of the Central Lanarkshire DRT contract, which also includes the 210. (All according to the current SPT Bus Contracts register, SPT copyright does not permit reproduction by electronic means which I take to include reproducing here).
Given the above does anyone know if McGill's are retaining the 'core' MyBus service element or is there a rationalisation of MyBus provision being undertaken at the same time?

Stan Drews

Established Member
I notice that SPT haven't put any change to the 132 on their timetables section yet, however all of the services listed as changing are currently 'add ons' to MyBus contracts. The 6B and 118 are part of the East Dunbartonshire DRT contract whilst the 132, 202 and 248 are part of the Central Lanarkshire DRT contract, which also includes the 210. (All according to the current SPT Bus Contracts register, SPT copyright does not permit reproduction by electronic means which I take to include reproducing here).
Given the above does anyone know if McGill's are retaining the 'core' MyBus service element or is there a rationalisation of MyBus provision being undertaken at the same time?
I commented in the McGill’s thread, but it’s probably more relevant here.
Yes, the above routes are all part of MyBus contracts which have been suspended for some considerable time. I believe SPT had until recently been paying 75% of the contract rates, which allowed the local bus work on the MyBus contracts to operate as normal. However that has stopped, and they’ve being discussing the options with operators to find the best value solution to continue the local bus work. I think around 25% of the MyBus contracts resumed in August and are currently running across the SPT area, including some provided by McGill’s, as I saw one last week in Bearsden.
The 210 journeys that are part of the Central Lanarkshire DRT contract you mention, haven’t been running since April, along with the 247B.

awsnews

I commented in the McGill’s thread, but it’s probably more relevant here.
Yes, the above routes are all part of MyBus contracts which have been suspended for some considerable time. I believe SPT had until recently been paying 75% of the contract rates, which allowed the local bus work on the MyBus contracts to operate as normal. However that has stopped, and they’ve being discussing the options with operators to find the best value solution to continue the local bus work. I think around 25% of the MyBus contracts resumed in August and are currently running across the SPT area, including some provided by McGill’s, as I saw one last week in Bearsden.
The 210 journeys that are part of the Central Lanarkshire DRT contract you mention, haven’t been running since April, along with the 247B.
It is a bit surprising that these cahnges are being pushed through ahead of the forcoming operations committee, but this is SPT. I didn't include the 247B as I couldn't see a timetable but I could the others. not sure if it is connected but McColl's appeared to be operating the Dumbarton MyBus last weekend, I know a bus from the M92 is used in the mornings whilst the normal bus for the M10 is operating the tendered part of the 208 but it was far too late to be doing that.

WHL Spotter

It is a bit surprising that these cahnges are being pushed through ahead of the forcoming operations committee, but this is SPT. I didn't include the 247B as I couldn't see a timetable but I could the others. not sure if it is connected but McColl's appeared to be operating the Dumbarton MyBus last weekend, I know a bus from the M92 is used in the mornings whilst the normal bus for the M10 is operating the tendered part of the 208 but it was far too late to be doing that.
The 208/218 is affected too.

Outrage as the 19A loses its SPT subsidised evening service.

The anger passes from the money grabbing shareholder focused capaitalist greedy First to the publicly accountable, publicly funded, run by elected officials and totally skint SPT.

Oh and the usual war cry of public ownership of course.

If you don't use it, you lose it.....