• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras - Statford international via HS1 on oyster - any update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
diamond geezer has written a post with a convenient table showing the costs for a journey to Stratford on HS1.

The basic summary is that if you're only doing a single journey, it's cheaper to use Oyster or a CPC. If you're doing a peak time return, there's no difference between Oyster/CPC and a paper ticket, and if you're travelling off-peak (and book by 24th August), it's cheaper to buy online with Southeastern's 25% off promotion.

Be3G

Established Member
Though note that, at the time of me writing this, the tube fares he's stated are incorrect.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder how it will cope with through journeys? Charging a single to St Pancras, then a HS1 single to Stratford Intl may be more expensive than a paper through ticket.

I've been wondering this too. One side effect I expect we'll see is more cases of this for Oyster users using what I presume will be an OSI between Stratford International (HS1) and Stratford (domestic).

Be3G

Established Member
Oyster/CPCs on HS1 is now live. It looks like TfL have done a poor job fares-wise though, with no through ticketing whatsoever. Fares from Stratford International to obvious destinations such as Euston (LUL) or Kentish Town (NR) don't exist, whilst fares from places like West Ham to St. Pancras International are the same as before with no consideration for travel via HS1.

So it therefore seems safe to assume that there is no OSI from Stratford International (HS1) to any of the other Stratford stations, and that there is similarly no OSI from the HS1 gateline at St. Pancras to any other gateline, meaning a journey from (say) Kentish Town to West Ham via HS1 would be charged as three separate fares!

34D

Established Member
Oyster/CPCs on HS1 is now live. It looks like TfL have done a poor job fares-wise though, with no through ticketing whatsoever. Fares from Stratford International to obvious destinations such as Euston (LUL) or Kentish Town (NR) don't exist, whilst fares from places like West Ham to St. Pancras International are the same as before with no consideration for travel via HS1.

So it therefore seems safe to assume that there is no OSI from Stratford International (HS1) to any of the other Stratford stations, and that there is similarly no OSI from the HS1 gateline at St. Pancras to any other gateline, meaning a journey from (say) Kentish Town to West Ham via HS1 would be charged as three separate fares!

Would they do three separate ones or stick together the first and third?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are no OSIs whatsoever with travel on HS1.

Be3G

Established Member
Would they do three separate ones or stick together the first and third?

I considered the latter too, but ruled it out without even suggesting it; there's clearly no attempt here to make HS1 travel in any way affordable, so I expect such an idea would've been written off early on as having no real point. Plus I'm not sure such a system would work on Oyster either.

cjp

Do you think that this might change as I do not see any reason to continue the restriction if it is now part of the Oyster Zone. Of course Wrinklies do so lower the tone of travel

The Freedom Pass is not valid for travel on train services operated by:

East Midlands Trains
Grand Central
Hull Trains
Gatwick Express (between London Victoria and Gatwick)
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow
Virgin Trains East Coast
Southeastern high speed services to and from St Pancras International and Stratford International

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
HTML:
Do you think that this might change as I do not see any reason to continue the restriction if it is now part of the Oyster Zone. Of course Wrinklies do so lower the tone of travel

It won't change.

mrmartin

The worst thing about it is the off peak hours are different to the paper tickets, which has no peak in the afternoon.

Considering many oyster fares don't have a peak in the afternoon (eg: stratford to liverpool street when going 'against' the peak) I really can't understand why this happened.

I really can't understand this decision at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.