• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach places £97million orders for new vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Observer

The StreetLite is also being impeded by Optare's Metrocity product which seems to be getting quite a lot of orders from other operators.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AB93

What they do need to do is to invest in research as to how to prevent rattly panels and grab poles. That needn't make the vehicle heavy, it just needs damping in the right places, and for operators to be bothered to maintain it properly. (Clue: shoving a bit of tissue paper into the gap or sticking it down with a sticky-backed weekly ticket wallet is not "maintaining it properly")

I've seen a Stagecoach E300 with the grabrail completely loose from its bracket before :lol:

As usual, Stagey is ahead of the others at getting this kind of thing right, just like you almost never see one of their buses with a mismatching or dented side panel.

Hmm, not sure about that. I can think of plenty of example in my local fleet that have carried damaged/the wrong colour panels for over a year.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The StreetLite is also being impeded by Optare's Metrocity product which seems to be getting quite a lot of orders from other operators.
Yes they aren't bad. I have used them when in Cardiff (N.A.T have some running around there) and the ride is quite good.

Dave

the101

Optare is doing well eniugh with its MetroCity because as a manufacturer it is very good with the retail market - that is, the smaller independent operators who will take two, three, four or five of them. That is the same reason why the Solo is popular among small operators.

ADL is working to get a piece of this retail demand, but there is often a perception that it and Wrightbus are interested mainly in the big orders from Stagecoach, First, Hong Kong and so on. Optare is not distracted by such requirements and thus it can give retail buyers its full attention, which they appreciate.

The Optare product is often maligned and criticised, but in terms of fuel efficiency it is top notch.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Arriva has used lightweight vehicles for a long time, they are the main user of the lightweight VDL SB200 with Wrights Pulsar bodywork
Indeed, but I am sure it was no coincidence that the supplier of all of them was Arriva Bus and Coach, the former Hughes DAF establishment at Cleckheaton - so in a way it was buying them off itself...

Mikey C

Established Member
Optare is doing well eniugh with its MetroCity because as a manufacturer it is very good with the retail market - that is, the smaller independent operators who will take two, three, four or five of them. That is the same reason why the Solo is popular among small operators.

ADL is working to get a piece of this retail demand, but there is often a perception that it and Wrightbus are interested mainly in the big orders from Stagecoach, First, Hong Kong and so on. Optare is not distracted by such requirements and thus it can give retail buyers its full attention, which they appreciate.

The Optare product is often maligned and criticised, but in terms of fuel efficiency it is top notch.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Indeed, but I am sure it was no coincidence that the supplier of all of them was Arriva Bus and Coach, the former Hughes DAF establishment at Cleckheaton - so in a way it was buying them off itself...

DAF/VDL have heavy weight single decker chassis as well, so Arriva could have gone for something other than the lightweight SB200

Boothby97

Established Member

fandroid

Established Member
No mention in that press release about passenger information systems. Why does Stagecoach seem to think that the only passengers they will ever get are those who already use buses and know the route? Decent information systems are commonplace in Germany. Why not here?

WiFi is already being retrofitted to Stagecoach buses. I tuned into it on one of the local Basingstoke buses yesterday. It brought me up the national Stagecoach website, with 'realtime' bus information. It invited me to enter the bus route number. I entered 1 for the route I was on, and as expected, I got a list of every route 1 in the country with Inverness heading the list! I wouldn't have been on the bus long enough to find my own route so gave up. As for realtime, I think they are fibbing. All the displays around here are just electronic timetable displays and if the bus is late at the stop, it just disappears off the display!

Come on Stagecoach, get into the 21st century!

J-2739

Established Member
Had my first doze on the '66 reg buses. The nicest ride I've had in ages. Comfy e-leather, USB sockets and Wi-Fi in one moving box. Not a disorted mess of a suspension like the earlier ones also. Good job Stagecoach! *thumbs up*

Status
Not open for further replies.