• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stalybridge Station - 2 extra platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
I've seen it mentioned in the Northern Hub proposals, for terminating services from Victoria, although to see much help it would also need to be electrified (and similar at Rochdale)

EDIT: Just seen guide bridge, more there would also be helpful, as would 4 tracking to Ardwick again, (back to dreaming).

table38

Established Member
I wonder if they meant extra platforms at Guide Bridge, but I agree it does imply Stalybridge!

cle

Established Member
I've heard talk about new platforms at Stalybridge on the northern/Victoria side to allow less conflicts.

It would free a little diesel unit too, if the shuttle could be integrated with a Liverpool or Man Airport service once wired, for example.

table38

Established Member
I've heard talk about new platforms at Stalybridge on the northern/Victoria side to allow less conflicts.

So we could get a "Platform 0" and "Platform -1" unless they renumber :)

Actually it looks like we could go back to the original numbering!

ss10.jpg

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Since the Ordsall Chord will give Stalybridge additional access via Manchester Victoria, Miles Platting junction and Ashton under Lyne, it could be useful to have west-facing (bay?) platforms to cut down the need for Manchester Victoria to have so many terminal services in those times.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
So we could get a "Platform 0" and "Platform -1" unless they renumber :)

Actually it looks like we could go back to the original numbering!

They looked at -1 and 0 for Piccadilly when there were proposals for two extra bay platforms east of the current ones, but tat was well before the Northern Hub project came about.

Stalybridge's platforms were still 3 (bay), 4 (westbound) and 5 (eastbound) well into the 1990s!

NightatLaira

I just think this -1 and 0 stuff is so silly! :D surely it can't be that expensive to renumber 4 platforms bearing in mind there's nothing to stop the current 1 and 2 signs from being reused on proposed -1 and 0.

table38

Established Member
So as not to confuse the punters I guess.

If you doubt the intelligence of some passengers, it's amazing how many people stand on Platform 2 at Stalybridge watching all the people walking down to Platform 3, and then have to make a last minute dash!

Logically, all platform numbering should start at (say) 5 to allow for new platforms to be built :)

Oh, and I see since we got the new roof, the picnic tables have been moved from the platforms outside the buffet bar to the (smokers) car park. Is this permanent? I liked nothing better than to sit outside with a pint on a nice warm day, taunting and watching the envious faces of the passengers on the trains :)

The Planner

Veteran Member
Stalybridge gets re-modelled as part of the re-signalling project. The platform numbers all get shifted about as part of this.

There will be a new bay platform 5 which will only be accesible to/from the Ashton direction. Platform 1 becomes Platform 4 in the Huddersfield direction. A new bi-directional line will be Platform 3 which is currently Platform 2. The current bay Platform 3 becomes Platform 2. A new Platform 1 will have a bi-directional line running through where the current goods line sit.

trickyvegas

Excellent news, it would be great if some commercial and leisure development was made of the large area of vacant land immediately south of the station to really kick-start the town econmically.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Excellent news, it would be great if some commercial and leisure development was made of the large area of vacant land immediately south of the station to really kick-start the town econmically.

to kick start Staly you need to get rid of the burnt out buildings next to the millpond pub (eyesore), encourage business back in to the centre as more shops are closed then open and find something that makes Staly unique (and I don't mean the fact it has more pubs and Kebab houses then open shops)

and let people drink on the platform again, the Buffet bar ain't the same if you are either stuck inside or stuck in the car park!

trickyvegas

to kick start Staly you need to get rid of the burnt out buildings next to the millpond pub (eyesore), encourage business back in to the centre as more shops are closed then open and find something that makes Staly unique (and I don't mean the fact it has more pubs and Kebab houses then open shops)

and let people drink on the platform again, the Buffet bar ain't the same if you are either stuck inside or stuck in the car park!

The derelict buildings are the fault of the local council, who have blocked every change of use application as to effectively render the property effectively worthless and unsaleable.

I agree that something needs to be done to give the town some attractions to the passing visitor as these plans should make the station a busier place and it would be a missed opportunity not give passengers an excuse to step out from the station.

Established Member
I just think this -1 and 0 stuff is so silly! :D surely it can't be that expensive to renumber 4 platforms bearing in mind there's nothing to stop the current 1 and 2 signs from being reused on proposed -1 and 0.

I believe its more to do with having to reconfigure Signalling equipment.

table38

Established Member
I agree that something needs to be done to give the town some attractions to the passing visitor

If we could have our market back that would have been a start, but its gone for ever now, converted into a civic hall that is rarely used, not even as a temporary site when Ashton market burned down a bit.

I used to pop down to the shops nearly every day until our car-hating council started restricting free parking and brought in pay-and-display which meant it wasn't as easy to just pop in the newsagents or the other shops.

About the same time, Morrisions opened in Dukinfield and a lot of us found it easier to go there.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I agree that something needs to be done to give the town some attractions to the passing visitor as these plans should make the station a busier place and it would be a missed opportunity not give passengers an excuse to step out from the station.

Is there any truth in the rumours that they are going to relocate the bus station from its present situation on Market Street to make a co-ordinated interchange with the railway station?

trickyvegas

Is there any truth in the rumours that they are going to relocate the bus station from its present situation on Market Street to make a co-ordinated interchange with the railway station?

I've not heard anything about it, but would fail to see the practicalities as almost every service calls at the stops outside the rail station.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just seen Guide Bridge, more there would also be helpful, as would 4 tracking to Ardwick again.

The Ordsall Chord proposals would take away all the First TPE services off the section from Ardwick to Guide Bridge, lessening the need for returning the four tracking of those sections that were there in the past, when the Woodhead route was then fully operational for train services.

Did you hear anything, as has been stated on other threads, about new facilities being built in the Guide Bridge area, that would assist in stock servicing when all the Northern Hub proposals have been implemented and are fully fuctional.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member

In the past didn't they just call it the A or B platform of the one it was nearest to ( i.e platform 3A, 1B etc) ?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I believe its more to do with having to reconfigure Signalling equipment.

With all the implications of the Northern Hub, would this not be a good time to re-examine all the existing platform and signalling at Stalybridge. There are going to be many more movements to and from Ashton under Lyne then, than there are at present. The costings for this work should be made as part of the actual total cost of implementing the Northern Hub proposals.

The Planner

Veteran Member
With all the implications of the Northern Hub, would this not be a good time to re-examine all the existing platform and signalling at Stalybridge. There are going to be many more movements to and from Ashton under Lyne then, than there are at present. The costings for this work should be made as part of the actual total cost of implementing the Northern Hub proposals.

My previous posts explain what will happen at Stalybridge. They have missed a trick with the Ashton branch though as that is a slow speed turnout from the Guide Bridge line, especially if more and more traffic is planned to use it.

daniel3982

Since Ashton is the main commercial centre for Tameside, any chance we might see TPE services stop there instead of Stalybridge in the future?

bluenoxid

Established Member
My previous posts explain what will happen at Stalybridge. They have missed a trick with the Ashton branch though as that is a slow speed turnout from the Guide Bridge line, especially if more and more traffic is planned to use it.

Will this see the end of the signalbox. Could the removal of that allow tracks to be skewed so trains can move through at a brisk clip into both. I thought they would use it as an opportunity to change the station so that the turning out would occur at the Hudds end of the station rather than doing it on the Manchester end of the station.

Looking at what you have said, that will mean that the platforms are numbered highest from the station building, rather than the opposite way round.

I am running off memory here, but will the existing bay take a 319?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Will this see the end of the signalbox. Could the removal of that allow tracks to be skewed so trains can move through at a brisk clip into both. I thought they would use it as an opportunity to change the station so that the turning out would occur at the Hudds end of the station rather than doing it on the Manchester end of the station.

Looking at what you have said, that will mean that the platforms are numbered highest from the station building, rather than the opposite way round.

I am running off memory here, but will the existing bay take a 319?

lancastrian

I wonder if they meant extra platforms at Guide Bridge, but I agree it does imply Stalybridge!

If it did mean Guide Bridge, it would be very easy to add two platforms there. Especially as up until the closure of the Woodhead route there where four platforms. The last time I traveled through Guide Bridge, the two closed platforms were still in existance, only needing and upgrade and track putting through them. The foot bridge could still be used, I cannot remember if the steps down to the northern platform were still there. Those to the old island platform (now the east bound one) can be used for the now closed face of it.

table38

Established Member
I think the Guide Bridge Footbridge was removed after the ticket office burned down a bit in 2006, but I'll check! Access to the westbound platform is now via a path across the trackbed of the now-removed (slow?) lines.

I'd assumed that they were going to create a park'n'ride there, although IIRC the last attempt to charge for parking at Guide Bridge was abandoned fairly quickly when everyone started parking on the adjacent roads instead.

Yes, footbridge gone according to thingypedia

On 22 October 2006 a fire gutted the waiting room, footbridge and ticket office. The fire has subsequently been attributed to arson and caused around £1m of damage to the station, necessitating the demolition of the footbridge. This has not been rebuilt, necessitating a lengthy walk out of the station and along the adjacent main road to change platforms

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.