• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
It will be interesting to ask the same question in three or four years time - many of the top ten worst will have been refurbed into modern 'palaces' and there will be new contenders for bad stations on a new poll. For exmaple BNS, Man Victoria, Sunderland, Gourock etc are all receiving expensive work to bring them up to date.

Is the work at Victoria still going ahead? I heard a whisper it was being postponed due to obvious lack of finance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the work at Victoria still going ahead? I heard a whisper it was being postponed due to obvious lack of finance.

Yes it is, it was quite widely reported about 3 weeks ago after NR confirmed it:

www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk

They've managed to scrape together most of the money. The Adonis 'election bribe' that got cancelled was only about 17% of the total that was originally allocated...

At_traction

Well, in short, the state of UK mainline station architecture is not particularly inspiring outside certain "compulsory" Victorian termini (and a few intermediaries).

These are indeed great displays of steel and wrought iron in both structural and architectural terms. However, even these suffer from the incomprehensible use of wooden slats under eaves that "decorate" the platform awnings at most of the stations in the country. Even though Victorian architecture did follow historical themes, adding these picket fences to the new, (relatively) clear-cut industrial style wasn't adding anything notable, being merely a throwback. Luckily, there are also stations from that era with more simplified awning decoration of steel beams etc.
[Rant off.]

As exteriors, such post-war modernist/internationalist designs as Dundee with its uncompromising series of vertical divisions throughout, or Plymouth with the glass clerestory "lantern" above perhaps somewhat crudely detailled first floor canopy are rather passable designs. They both reflect the lightness in colour as well as with Plymouth also the light within the station itself.

London's derided Euston and Coventry both are (again, despite their dated detailling and material choices), nevertheless, imposing horizontal and rectilinear remakes of old stations. Coventry has even rather bold cruciform concrete(?) and glass extrusions in true internationalist sense, whereas Euston's best part is actually off the station altogether, in the much more individual office wing facing Euston Rd. Don't know whether that actually sums up those times, but there seems to have been more thought put into the dark anodized "ribbing" extruding from the glass curtain :wub: than to the more plain, plated facade of the station.

There would be more, new and old, interests in London's DLR and Underground, but mercifully I'll keep this to the mainlines... ;)

Jaybee

On a seaside note.....

The GOOD: Bridlington, well kept, award winning, beautiful hanging baskets.

The BAD: Skegness, what a doss hole, so much could be done, not very welcoming station at all!

sprinterguy

Established Member
GOOD:
Great Malvern: Love the detail in the canopy columns, and just generally a really peaceful station between trains
Newcastle Central
Whitley Bay, since the glass roof was refurbished (Just don't look round the end of the Metro platform at the old bays!)

BAD:
Sunderland: It doesn't really have architecture. It's just a hole in the ground. And it actually got worse when the Metro arrived and it got closed in altogether. No toilets, and the current refurb isn't doing anything to address this or any other of the more pressing issues affecting the station.
Crewe: Looks very forlorn. Could do with some TLC.
Darlington: Always seems draughty, the design of the trainshed seems to funnel cold air.

UGLY:
The proposed refurbished New Street station plans :|
London Euston
Birmingham International

LE Greys

Established Member
In my area:

Good: Cambridge, Hitchin (comes from being staffed)
Bad: Arlesey, Biggleswade, Knebworth
Ugly: Peterborough (that horrible bridge), Stevenage (brick and concrete box over the line)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Cambrige is an attractive building, but awful for passengers- the congestion in the ticket hall, even "off peak" (say, Saturday mid-morning) can be very bad with a combination of the queues for the ticket machines, people looking at the departure and arrival screens and the timetable boards, people waiting around and people actually trying to get in and out through the barriers. Terrible, terrible layout. Mainly, I guess, thanks to the desire to cram in the shops and catering outlets- as I understand it, the part where M&S, half the ticket hall and the "travel centre/car rental" office are was designed for coaches to drop off/pick up under cover.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On looks alone (as most of the time the whole thing is locked out of use) Whittlesford Parkway has an attractive little station building.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
On a seaside note.....

The GOOD: Bridlington, well kept, award winning, beautiful hanging baskets.

The BAD: Skegness, what a doss hole, so much could be done, not very welcoming station at all!

I can safely say that Skegness is one of the worst station I've ever been to. If you saw the country end of the station, you would think it was a Beeching closure...

Established Member
Sunderland: It doesn't really have architecture. It's just a hole in the ground. And it actually got worse when the Metro arrived and it got closed in altogether. No toilets, and the current refurb isn't doing anything to address this or any other of the more pressing issues affecting the station.

Sunderland has always been closed in, well at least for 40 odd years or so. At least it looks a bit brighter now. Quite an akward place for a station, being next to a river and two tunnels. Still we know who to blame - the bloody Germans!

LE Greys

Established Member
Cambrige is an attractive building, but awful for passengers- the congestion in the ticket hall, even "off peak" (say, Saturday mid-morning) can be very bad with a combination of the queues for the ticket machines, people looking at the departure and arrival screens and the timetable boards, people waiting around and people actually trying to get in and out through the barriers. Terrible, terrible layout. Mainly, I guess, thanks to the desire to cram in the shops and catering outlets- as I understand it, the part where M&S, half the ticket hall and the "travel centre/car rental" office are was designed for coaches to drop off/pick up under cover.

Being crammed in up the end of Station Road (which is awfully narrow and has a nightmare turning circle for buses) does not help much either. A second access from Hills Road, near the bridge, would be a very good idea, since the Hills Road buses would have better access to the station, provided there was some way to get it through. Even better would be an expanded ticket office and wider gateline, ideally by chucking out M&S and putting some new facilities in there. However, it's worth remembering that it was designed the way the Dons of the time wanted it, otherwise it might not have been built for several more decades.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's an access to Hills Road being built right now- as I understand it all the bus stops will then be moved from Station Road. Services to and from the centre will still use Station Road, but ones to and from Addenbrookes/south east Cambridge/Trumpington will use either the new access to Hills Road (buses and bikes only- don't think the taxis are getting to use it) or the busway, depending upon service.

And yes, much as places such as Sunderland blame the Germans, in Cambridge the blame for much of what's messed up lies with the University...

Skimble19

Established Member
In my area:

Good: Cambridge, Hitchin (comes from being staffed)
Bad: Arlesey, Biggleswade, Knebworth
Ugly: Peterborough (that horrible bridge), Stevenage (brick and concrete box over the line)
Arlesey, I'd agree with you on that, Platform 2 is woefully inadequate. Biggleswade however, is great.. if you're heading southbound before 2pm! It's got 2 waiting rooms and toilets.. on platforms 1/2! Sadly the buildings on the northbound platforms were replaced with the horrid bus shelter quite a while ago by BR.

I won't even comment on the monstrosities that are Peterborough and Stevenage...:roll:

PR1Berske

Established Member
Preston was included on the Adonis Bribe List.

The "White Walled Subway" we now have has managed to turn the drab concrete hell into a chemically pristine version, an improvement of sorts. Doesn't stop the rest of the station look in need of much more important and integeral refurb.

However the main priority surely must be to do something to Wigan North Western. Demolish and start again, for example....

Clip

Established Member
Denham golf club. Just a waste of a place - though i understand the shelters there are old remnants from great western

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Denham golf club. Just a waste of a place - though i understand the shelters there are old remnants from great western

They kept the former booking office at street level until 2006 when someone torched it to the ground, it was replaced with a replica (in GWR colours) with everything except a ticket wiindow. it had been unused for a good few year before though, it stood empty. i dunno about platform buildings, only the booking office :D

Clip

Established Member
They kept the former booking office at street level until 2006 when someone torched it to the ground, it was replaced with a replica (in GWR colours) with everything except a ticket wiindow. it had been unused for a good few year before though, it stood empty. i dunno about platform buildings, only the booking office :D

The old booking office is now used as a store for winter weather equipment.

sirdouglas

has anyone seen a station building in worse condition than wakefield kirkgate?

the last time i was there i noticed it was actually unsafe, mould, moss, top stones hanging over the edge and huge cracks in the wall.

PR1Berske

Established Member
has anyone seen a station building in worse condition than wakefield kirkgate?

the last time i was there i noticed it was actually unsafe, mould, moss, top stones hanging over the edge and huge cracks in the wall.

No, you see, that's just what Wakefield looks like......

[ducks]

sprinterguy

Established Member
Sunderland has always been closed in, well at least for 40 odd years or so. At least it looks a bit brighter now. Quite an akward place for a station, being next to a river and two tunnels. Still we know who to blame - the bloody Germans!

No, there used to be a little sliver of light and open sky above the southbound running line before the Metro arrived in Sunderland, I'm sure of it. Very nearly completely closed in, but not quite. And of course not a patch on the pre-WW2 glass roof. Closing the station in has allowed for a lot more retail space above the station area at street level of course (Always used to think it was strange hearing the trains rumbling underneath when standing in Littlewoods (now TJ Hughes) when I was a kid).

sirdouglas

PR1berske "No, you see, that's just what Wakefield looks like......"

no YOU see, i know it's not supposed to look like that

Established Member
No, there used to be a little sliver of light and open sky above the southbound running line before the Metro arrived in Sunderland, I'm sure of it. Very nearly completely closed in, but not quite. And of course not a patch on the pre-WW2 glass roof. Closing the station in has allowed for a lot more retail space above the station area at street level of course (Always used to think it was strange hearing the trains rumbling underneath when standing in Littlewoods (now TJ Hughes) when I was a kid).

The only bits of light I can remember are the holes just before the bridge over the Wear, can't remember the southern end of the station to a great detail now, so you may be right. Sunderland could do with a new more modern station although where it could be built and where the money could come from I do not know.

sirdouglas

what it should be, original condition and safe but some bits of stone work are missing and theres a lot of damp which could cause minor erotion because the building is made of sandstone

sprinterguy

Established Member
The only bits of light I can remember are the holes just before the bridge over the Wear, can't remember the southern end of the station to a great detail now, so you may be right. Sunderland could do with a new more modern station although where it could be built and where the money could come from I do not know.

Aha, I've found a picture! Here's a link to Sunderland station the way I remember it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3553977976/in/photostream/
There was actually a lot more light than I thought...A few other good pictures around Sunderland in that photoset, including a picture of my local station, Seaburn, when it was a real station and not just a chavvy corrugated Metro shack...

Status
Not open for further replies.