• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this thread in, but infrastructure sort of seems appropriate! :roll:

What are the best (and worst) station pubs in Britain? I'm talking both Network Rail and private/heritage railways.

The only real station pub (that is, a pub on the platform) left in Shropshire is the Railwayman's Arms at Bridgnorth station (Severn Valley Railway), which is an excellent real ale pub. The next best thing on the national network is the Railway Inn at Yorton, on the Shrewsbury-Crewe line, which is right by the station and is a small country pub which also serves real ale.

I've yet to do the Trackside at Bury Bolton Street (which is quite surprising). I've experienced the pub at Crewe station (Crewe Hero?) which is okay... ish. The Balcony Bar at Manchester Piccadilly is great for sitting on the balcony watching the people and trains below, but they serve rather naff beer in plastic beakers (I refuse to call them glasses!). Generally the pubs at the major stations seem a bit rubbish - though maybe there's an exception or two?

Has anyone done what James May and that Oz fellow did in their recent beer programme on the BBC? I can't recall exactly the route they took, but I think it was in Yorkshire. 3 real ale station pubs on one route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D841

Wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this thread in, but infrastructure sort of seems appropriate! :roll:

What are the best (and worst) station pubs in Britain? I'm talking both Network Rail and private/heritage railways.

Has anyone done what James May and that Oz fellow did in their recent beer programme on the BBC? I can't recall exactly the route they took, but I think it was in Yorkshire. 3 real ale station pubs on one route.

Oz and James did part of the Transpennine Rail Ale Trail. They started at the West Riding at Dewsbury, so missed the pubs in Leeds (2 on the station), went to the Kings Head at Huddersfield (but missed the Head of Steam), and then finished at Stalybridge station buffet.

The Transpennine Trail now includes other pubs which are close to stations, but not on them, e.g. the Cellar Bar in Batley and the Navigation Tavern in Mirfield. Thoroughly worth doing if you want to combine trains with with good ale.

The West Riding at Dewsbury, along with the rest of the station, is grade 2 listed.

The_Rail_WAy

Huge fan of the Balcony Bar at Man Picc - totally understand them wanting too serve in plastic cups though due to the fact it is elevated and there is a lot of football supporters passing through. There is also platform bar at Preston which is pretty good too - worth trying.

Gathurst (nr Wigan) has a pub on its platform, Lostock (nr Bolton) has one adjacent too.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Oz and James did part of the Transpennine Rail Ale Trail. They started at the West Riding at Dewsbury, so missed the pubs in Leeds (2 on the station), went to the Kings Head at Huddersfield (but missed the Head of Steam), and then finished at Stalybridge station buffet.

The Transpennine Trail now includes other pubs which are close to stations, but not on them, e.g. the Cellar Bar in Batley and the Navigation Tavern in Mirfield. Thoroughly worth doing if you want to combine trains with with good ale.

The West Riding at Dewsbury, along with the rest of the station, is grade 2 listed.

I find the pubs on the Trans Pennine route to be one of the attractions when I do a West Yorkshire Day Rover, or a trip across the Pennines. The West Riding does an excellent 'pie and peas' night on Tuesdays - they also have a curry night and steak night, but I've yet to sample them. The Stalybridge buffet bar also does well priced food to accompany the beer, including its famous 'black peas'. I think sausages, mash and mushy peas cost me a bargain £2.95 there last year!

There should also be a real ale bar opening up on Sowerby Bridge station, will try and find out when this is likely to be as things seem to have gone rather quiet with this recently.

Tomnick

Established Member
The Brunswick's a couple of minutes away from Derby Midland - that the one? Fantastic choice of ales in there.

The Transpennine 'trail' takes some beating, though it's been a couple of years since I last sampled the delights - there's a worthwhile pub near almost every station! Starting at Stalybridge, then lunch in Marsden (nice little pub just down the road does great food, or at least did a couple of years ago), then Huddersfield (Head of Steam seems to have gone downhill though!), Dewsbury and Leeds (Duck & Drake - a fair trek from the station compared to some of the others, but well worth it). Harry's Bar in Wakey is a good place to miss a few trains too, as long as your group isn't too big!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Further to my post yesterday, I've read today that the "Jubilee Refreshment Rooms" at Sowerby Bridge station, which is being run by a once regular West Yorkshire basher, are expected to open around Easter. Maybe somewhere for a forum meet in due course, over 18s only though!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Worst pub by a long way must be the Bentinck next to Nottingham station.

Good ones include Stalybridge Station Buffet, Locomotion #1 at Heighington (if it's still there), Sir John Betjeman in St Pancras, Queen Alexandra in Derby, Head of Steam in Huddersfield

TDK

Established Member

The only real station pub (that is, a pub on the platform) left in Shropshire is the Railwayman's Arms at Bridgnorth station (Severn Valley Railway), which is an excellent real ale pub. The next best thing on the national network is the Railway Inn at Yorton, on the Shrewsbury-Crewe line, which is right by the station and is a small country pub which also serves real ale.

I've yet to do the Trackside at Bury Bolton Street (which is quite surprising). I've experienced the pub at Crewe station (Crewe Hero?) which is okay... ish. The Balcony Bar at Manchester Piccadilly is great for sitting on the balcony watching the people and trains below, but they serve rather naff beer in plastic beakers (I refuse to call them glasses!). Generally the pubs at the major stations seem a bit rubbish - though maybe there's an exception or two?

there is a pub at Codsal station and one acroos the barriers at Gobowen in your neck of the woods, the one at Codsal is supposed to be a good one

there is a pub at Codsal station and one acroos the barriers at Gobowen in your neck of the woods, the one at Codsal is supposed to be a good one

Yeah, though unfortunately if you're doing a genuine Shropshire pub trail Codsall is in Staffordshire (very picky I know). There are a number of good pubs near railway stations in Shropshire, the one at Yorton I've already mentioned, but there is also the Engine & Tender in Broome and the Sitwell Arms and Baron of Beef pubs in Bucknell. Not really any good pubs near Shrewsbury railway station though (a couple of general ones).

Anyway, a real station pub is a pub on the platform/on the concourse. Has there ever been (or is there still existing) a station with TWO station pubs? Now that would be impressive! :lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The pub on the dispersal bridge at Birmingham New Street (IIRC it's called The Shakespeare) has got to be a contender for one of the worst IMO. They've tried to give it the traditional pub fascia but it just doesn't work.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
The pub on the dispersal bridge at Birmingham New Street (IIRC it's called The Shakespeare) has got to be a contender for one of the worst IMO. They've tried to give it the traditional pub fascia but it just doesn't work.

It's been done up and is a lot better than it used to be, still bloody expensive though

D841

[QUOTE Has there ever been (or is there still existing) a station with TWO station pubs? Now that would be impressive! :lol:[/QUOTE]

There are two on Leeds station concourse (one's a Wetherspoons), and two at Huddersfield; the King's Head and the Head of Steam, both on platform 1.

There are at least two on London Victoria concourse, and I seem to recall two at Newcastle Central, too. I'm sure the phenomenon is not that rare.

There are two on Leeds station concourse (one's a Wetherspoons), and two at Huddersfield; the King's Head and the Head of Steam, both on platform 1.

There are at least two on London Victoria concourse, and I seem to recall two at Newcastle Central, too. I'm sure the phenomenon is not that rare.

Actually, thinking about it there are two at Manchester Piccadilly too...

To narrow it down: what about a station with two "platform pubs" (i.e. pubs on a platform rather than on the concourse)? I guess one or two may have existed historically? These days platform cafes are the norm, rather than alcohol serving bars/pubs.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
There are two on Leeds station concourse (one's a Wetherspoons)

Actually, if you include the Queens Hotel building which is attached to the station, there's probably a bar in there and there's also a strip club

theblackwatch

Established Member
To narrow it down: what about a station with two "platform pubs" (i.e. pubs on a platform rather than on the concourse)? I guess one or two may have existed historically? These days platform cafes are the norm, rather than alcohol serving bars/pubs.

Only one that springs to mind is 'Uddersfield.

D841

Actually, if you include the Queens Hotel building which is attached to the station, there's probably a bar in there and there's also a strip club

You're right - there is a bar on the ground floor of the Queen's Hotel. Never patronised the strip club, though...........

Craig

Established Member
It's not part of the station, but The Boathouse at Wylam is usually pretty good. A decent selection of beers and a view of the Tyne Valley line.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's the Bonapartes at Bristol Temple Meads which is on platform 3, it has some seating areas inside and some tables and chairs on the platform itself. It's not really a traditional pub but more of a cafe/bar. From what I remember it does serve alcoholic drinks though.

theblackwatch

Established Member
There's the Bonapartes at Bristol Temple Meads which is on platform 3, it has some seating areas inside and some tables and chairs on the platform itself. It's not really a traditional pub but more of a cafe/bar. From what I remember it does serve alcoholic drinks though.

Yes it does - I seem to remeber having an alcoholic drink there when I met up with someone once...can't remember who tho... ;) As you say, it's more a cafe bar, no real ale for a start if my memory's correct! :(

AlexS

Established Member
Codsall station pub is my local and it's cracking. Fantastic beer, full of railway memorabilia with a Great Western bias but from all over the world. There's even a double chimney, quite possibly identified as being from County 1000, in use as a plant pot of all things outside.

In the summer it's very pleasant indeed to sit on the patio with a pint and just watch the trains roll by of a lunch time.

D841

Just remembered there's a really good one in the old station building on the westbound platform at Urmston. Definitely worth missing a train for.

Tom B

Established Member
There's a pub on the platform at Kings Cross - although I seem to remember it's one of those overpriced chain places.

The_Rail_WAy

There's a pub on the platform at Kings Cross - although I seem to remember it's one of those overpriced chain places.

Yes I think its a Westherspoons/Yates' or something of that calibre. Ive been there before and quite enjoyed it, although its a nightmare during busyperiods - like any pub I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.