• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations far from their town/city centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Ramsgate is a healthy walk away from the town centre and the sea front.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Bristol TM yet. It is on the edge of the city centre, but is in excess of one mile from the main shopping area, as well as the main local bus interchange and the bus station, and for those heading to the western part of the central area around the University it is nearly two miles.

According to walkit.com it's 0.7/0.8 miles to the Cabot Circus/Broadmead area, 1 mile exactly to the Whitson St entrance of Bristol Bus Station and 1.3 miles to the University of Bristol, Wills Memorial Building or 1.5 miles to the main campus in Tyndalls Park.

All a pleasant stroll if the weather is fine, nothing too excessive, except maybe the walk up the hill to the top of Park St for the Uni area!

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
Clapham (Yorkshire) is a few miles away from the village.

Ashwell & Morden station is 3-4 miles from Ashwell & further from the Mordens (Guilden Morden & Steeple Morden)

The reason for Hitchin being a mile from the town centre was the local landowners refused permission for the line to be built in the 1850s so it bypassed the town centre.
Similarly, Cambridge university thought the railway would be a distraction to the students so the station was built outside the city centre (as the University owned most of the land in the City centre & still does)

There's Howden in East Yorkshire...about one and a half miles to the town. There was one in the heart of the town, but, err, they closed it. It was on the Hull and Barnsley, and for a while it ran as a long branch line from Paragon station.

Yep Howden station is a decent walk from the town but if you walk and are early for your train you are rewarded with an excellent little pub next to the station.

Clip

Established Member
I'll have to exclude London as the terminals are on the edge then linked by Tube, but the best ones I can think of are:

Id disagree slightly here and be a little pedantic.

Moorgate/Fenchurch st and Liverpool st are all in the City of London along with Victoria being in the City of Westminster.

caliwag

I'd possibly like to nominate Bournemouth... it's quite a distance from the station to the main shopping area of the town, even moreso for the seafront (which I'd assume a lot of visitors to Bournemouth would be wanting to go to).

May I bring closed stations into the mix? I'm thinking mainly of the old Barnstaple-Taunton line; not necessarily the full-on out of the way stations like Bishop's Nympton & Molland station which was sited between the two settlements about 2-3 miles from each, but say South Molton station which was about a mile away from the town - even now the old site of the station is still quite a distance from the town itself.

I'd fogotten about Bournemouth...a bloody disaster, luckily I was collected by car. The station is quality but the town is just a big roundabout: grim.
HaHa, if you're going to bring in closed stations etc then this thread will start competing with the East Coast meals one, which TBH is just a bit boring now...sorry contributors but take a picnic.

ex-railwayman

Similarly, Cambridge university thought the railway would be a distraction to the students so the station was built outside the city centre (as the University owned most of the land in the City centre & still does)

Why would the railway be a distraction for the students, did they assume that they would spend half their term gricing, or something similar. They should have offered degrees in Trainspotting, I'm sure applications for placements would have rolled in from all over the UK......:lol:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

caliwag

Go on then...closed stations!

Errol on the Perth to Dundee (closed in the 70s?) was gas lit to the end and was (is, as it's a museum now), a mile and a bit from Errol village.

However on the same line, at Inchture which must have had some importance, the Caley (in Caley colours) ran a horse drawn rail-tram the couple of miles to the station. One of the horses was called Speedy I seem to remember reading. The line closed in 1917!

I bet the carriage served good use as a summerhouse as the area is quite wealthy being good farmland.

There's a great snap (c/o of Perth Museum) in the excellent Smith and Anderson book on 'Tayside's Railways...Dundee and Perth' if anyone is interested in such obscure stuff. Jim

mirodo

Why would the railway be a distraction for the students, did they assume that they would spend half their term gricing, or something similar. They should have offered degrees in Trainspotting, I'm sure applications for placements would have rolled in from all over the UK......:lol:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

I think the worry was that they would use it as an escape to the iniquitous fleshpots and taverns of London.

12CSVT

Established Member
And while we're on stations with "Junction" in their name, it's a fair walk from Loughborough Junction to Loughborough town centre! :p

Loughborough Junction got its name from the fact that 1st Baron of Loughborough owned an estate in that area.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Knockholt is 3 miles from the village, and used to be called Halstead for Knockholt, despite being 2 miles from Halstead as well.

The station is in London and the village is in Kent, so it also straddles borders. It is basically only used as a commuter parkway station as it is in zone 6 and has free parking, I'm not sure anyone who uses it actually comes from the village.

They recently put parking charges on the road for quite substantial distances either side of the station. http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/9..._making_residents_face__scary__woodland_walk/

It's also quite close to that most brilliantly named Pratts Bottom.

Bedpan

Established Member
And while we're on stations with "Junction" in their name, it's a fair walk from Loughborough Junction to Loughborough town centre! :p

If we were going to include signal boxes as well as stations, Loughborough Junction to Loughborough is a mere stone's throw compared with North Pole Junction to the North Pole.:)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Fishguard Harbour is quite a way away from Fishguard, not quite as far as some of the places mentioned so far I suppose. However, if you are walking from Fishguard harbour to Fishguard itself, there is the vertical distance to consider as well as the horizontal.
Bromsgrove station is quite a distance from the town centre; you have to cross the bypass.
Haverfordwest station isn't that far from the town centre, but you have to cross one of two dual carrigeways (your choice which) without the assistance of a bridge, subway or zebra(/puffin/pelican/whatever animal you care to mention) crossing.

Llandudno Junction once was a junction in a small hamlet for services to Llandudno... but that small hamlet has swallowed the surrounding area and the placename itself is now 'Llandudno Junction'.
On a much smaller scale, I think the address of Clarbeston is now Clarbeston, Clarbeston Road, as the village around the station is larger than the original village.

Ivo

Established Member
Several Anglian stations, in particular Colchester, Ipswich and Norwich, often get banded around in discussions like this. Colchester is roughly one mile on foot from the junction of Head Street and High Street (the closest corner of the central road system), but has Town station to compensate; the other two aren't really valid. Not including Cambridge (which is roughly one mile from the centre as stated by Google Maps, but only half of that from the edge of the centre), the most obvious station in that (rather large) area in my opinion is Harlow Town, at roughly one mile.

According to walkit.com it's 0.7/0.8 miles to the Cabot Circus/Broadmead area, 1 mile exactly to the Whitson St entrance of Bristol Bus Station and 1.3 miles to the University of Bristol, Wills Memorial Building or 1.5 miles to the main campus in Tyndalls Park.

But how many people would know of the route it suggests from the station? Even I didn't know that way! The more obvious route (to the tourist) of going via Temple Gate results in a journey of upwards of one mile just to get to Broadmead - never mind anywhere else.

The other one I was going to mention is Fareham - though having been much littler when I was last there I can't say for certain if it actually is as far away from the town centre as it seemed...

Not that far at all to be honest. No more so than the likes of Salisbury.

sonic2009

Established Member
My home town of Tewkesbury. The station Ashchurch for Tewkesbury is 2 miles away.

A 35min walk, i will always time my.connections in with the Stagecoach Bus service :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

LE Greys

Established Member
Stevenage must also be a contender here; on one side you have the leisure park, on the other you have a long dreary walk over the A602 through a tunnel in the side of the Gordon Craig theatre, followed by a looooong, flat ramp that drops you out right at.....Stevenage bus station!!

It was not always so. Until about 40 years ago, the original Stevenage station was essentially behind Waitrose on the edge of the Old Town. Originally, a nice walk until they put a dual carriageway down there. They moved it closer to the New Town later, although there is still a dual carriageway in the way. You will be hard-pressed to find any trace of the original station, except perhaps from Bridge Road.

Midlandman

Several years ago, we stayed at Zell-am-See in Austria. Here begins the narrow-gauge Pinzgauer Lokalbahn to its terminus at Krimml. Now, the main attraction at Krimml is its waterfalls, but we'd seen them. One lazy afternoon, I just fancied a narrow-gauge bash, so I went to the halt near our hotel and boarded the afternoon railcar up the valley. 'Return to Krimml please' I asked the conductor. 'The Falls?' 'No, just Krimml' 'Ah, the bus to the village?' 'No, just Krimml station'.
He looked baffled by this, but pressed lots of buttons on his machine and gave me a ticket. Not until later did I study it properly and realise that he'd given me a Day Return to somewhere called Wald in Pinzgau, which I'd never heard of. It turned out to be the last village before the terminus. When we got to the terminus, everyone else piled on to buses and left for the falls and the village. I walked back down the road until I found a supermarket where I could buy something to drink. The supermarket was in Wald in Pinzgau. Back at Krimml station, I sat in the sun until a roar of bus engines announced the arrival of the other passengers. The crew emerged from the station, unlocked the railcar and we went on our way rejoicing.
I nominate Krimml as not only being a long way from the place it's named after, both horizontally and vertically but as a station to which you can't actually buy a ticket. The Great Western would undoubtedly have called it Krimml Road. (Ryanair would call it Mayrhofen -look at a map)

caliwag

Stations that will keep you fit!...

Truro...a steady climb from the town
Baildon...a testing walk to the roundabout which I suppose is the town!

Zoe

Established Member
I made the mistake a few years ago of thinking "its not that far on the map", not realising that it was almost as far "up" as it was "along"
The clue is that there is an area near the station known as Highertown.

mr williams

This thread reminds me of a story dating back to when Pontypool Road was renamed Pontypool. Shortly after this happened a station announcer (can't remember where, I think it was Crewe) was taken to task by his manager for continuing to announce it as Pontypool Road. The announcer then told his manager in no uncertain terms that if he cared to walk from Pontypool Road to Pontypool he would know why the station was called Pontypool Road !!

Not only that, but there is absolutely nothing in the way of amenities anywhere near Pontypool (Road). No pub, shop, cafe, taxi rank, telephone, nothing.

My late grandfather lived in the town and I visited him on the first day of operation of the new Cwmbran station (1986/87-ish?). Being the nearest and cheapest journey three or four confused Cwmbran teenagers had bought day returns to Pontypool to try out the new train only to find themselves in bleak isolation. Pontypool was still manned in the daytime in those days and I listened with wry amusement as he explained why it used to be called "Road". The last thing I heard was a sad "well is there a chip shop nearby?......."

Waldgrun

It's Llanbister ROAD! "Road" is always a good indication that it's a fair hike from somewhere......in this case about 5 miles of country lanes!
Don't worry I knew that fact, but in all honestly there are so many factors that determined a stations location, and name.
1).Location, find a suitable site, remember our Victorian forebears didn't mind walking, what we think of as great distances to use the new transport revolution! If you can find a site that can serve several locations the better it is!
2). Name, has the local Lord, land owner set any special conditions, has someone from a nearby village (Estate) invested in your company. Is trade likely to come from a larger community nearby and would the business men of that place be offended by your choice of name!

In the South of England, without a great deal of thinking, I can name three stations that if you arrived at them,you would be where you wanted to be.Because of the above factors.

1). Witley on the Portsmouth Direct Line , or to give it it's full name, Witley for Chiddingfold,this station is in the centre of Wormley Village. Also serves the village of Brook.

2) Medstead & Four Marks, station in Four Marks village but known until 1937 as simply Medstead, the more important village when the line was built.

3). Highclere on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line, situated in Spring Lane, Burghclere

daniel3982

Stations that will keep you fit!...

Truro...a steady climb from the town
Baildon...a testing walk to the roundabout which I suppose is the town!

Add in Mossley & Durham to that list.

Isn't Sandwell & Dudley actually nowhere near Dudley?

Status
Not open for further replies.