• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations rebranded to Great British Railways design / Rail Alphabet 2

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GoneSouth

Can't help but feel an added logo on the end of the signs makes them look a lot better, plus it allows people to know who operates the station (for the time being before it comes under central control)
Please tell me these aren’t going to happen. We’re either having a national network or we’re not. The whole design is poor in my opinion in the first place, then if you add short lived TOC logos it just becomes a complete mess. Look at how many times LNER has rebranded over the years, NX, Virgin, East Coast, LNER.

Just give the whole network one brand, maybe with different colours for specific purposes like airport colouring for airport stations, but give it one coherent logo. How about errrr the double arrow?

urbophile

Established Member
Clear and consistent. That's all we need. TOCs insisting on their own 'look' are like territorial cats marking out their territory (and look worse than the latter smell).

Doomotron

Please tell me these aren’t going to happen. We’re either having a national network or we’re not. The whole design is poor in my opinion in the first place, then if you add short lived TOC logos it just becomes a complete mess. Look at how many times LNER has rebranded over the years, NX, Virgin, East Coast, LNER.

Just give the whole network one brand, maybe with different colours for specific purposes like airport colouring for airport stations, but give it one coherent logo. How about errrr the double arrow?
It was a mock-up made by the person who posted it, nothing official.

LUYMun

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, but Bentley (Hampshire) has a new help point installed on the down platform, with seemingly Rail Alphabet typeface on the signage above.

Class 466

Established Member
So I guess this has all just stopped now? Like pretty much anything else in this country at the moment.

thomalex

For sure. There's a definite air of 'given up' about this exercise.

I don't understand why it's so difficult.

The Department of Transport have guidelines for road signs that are pretty accurately followed by hundreds of different local authorities throughout the UK. Why can't the same happen with railway signage?

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Rail Alphabet 2 signage has recently appeared at the bottom of the overbridge on Platform 3 at Oxford station.

It looks out-of-place and, well, a bit spindly compared to the GWR corporate Glypha everywhere else.

jonnyfan

RA2 has been appearing more and more around the Northern network. Most recently I've noticed that Guide Bridge has had all it's signage changed to RA2. A mixture of stickers over existing signs and new signage. As well as the stations along the Hope Valley.

LowLevel

Established Member
The move is haphazard and bizarre to say the least. Meanwhile EMR are continuing to roll out the Abellio corporate signage, rather slowly.

Wynmills

1707734925869.png
In the updated design manual. Beefed up arrows. Edge framing. Bolder typeface? some obvious user testing and feedback has been happening. Encouraging signs to me.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Arrows are still unnecessarily big (and thin) but borders are an improvement. It's like they're only just starting to speak to any half decent designer about the basics.

GoneSouth

Arrows are still unnecessarily big (and thin) but borders are an improvement. It's like they're only just starting to speak to any half decent designer about the basics.
Yes, thickness of the arrows I think is the problem, along with the rest of the lettering.

Wouldn’t hurt to try an inverse of this too, I believe white on black (or yellow on black) is more legible than scratchy thin black in white

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, thickness of the arrows I think is the problem, along with the rest of the lettering.

Wouldn’t hurt to try an inverse of this too, I believe white on black (or yellow on black) is more legible than scratchy thin black in white
Did a recent study not prove otherwise? I remember someone saying something like that earlier on in the thread, anyway. Mind you, I think the white on black at Birmingham New Street looks great.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
For sure. There's a definite air of 'given up' about this exercise.
Rebranding has been taking place in West Yokshire with Morley being the first to get the new signs, Brighouse has been rebranded for the third time in its 24 year existance with Sowerby Bridge and Mythomroyd gaining the RA2 signage. Huddersfield has limited RA2 stickered all over the station, I think the rest of the Huddersfield Line will be done as and when the Transpennine Route Upgrade sees Mirfield and Ravensthorpe rebuilt and White Rose opening.

HarryL

Seems like the main differences between this document and the previous version are that they've added example usage in section 8? Covers materials that should be used and how. Hopefully means the rollout should be more uniform and less do whatever you want.

Whisky Papa

I noticed that Todmorden has been re-signed - apologies if it has been mentioned here previously.

To my eye, the large platform number flags have the number aligned slightly nearer the bottom than the top. Has anyone else noticed this elsewhere? EDIT - the manual linked to above shows equal depth margins at top and bottom, page 99.

physics34

Established Member
RA2 has appeared at clapham junction... but only 2 signs..
20240216_131726.jpg

Attachments

• 20240216_131726.jpg
    20240216_131726.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 90