• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations that are too close together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jwos

City Thameslink and Blackfriars anyone?
Smitham and Coulsdon North were probably the closest, and one of them did indeed shut...

Ascot

Established Member
West India Quay, Canary Wharf & Heron Quays are very close together and are all heavily used in the peak. It would be hard to get rid of 1 as they are all on different sides of the water and have their own "office catchment". E.g if going to Bank St from London it's quicker to stay on to Heron Quays unless there is a train on approach to Heron Quays to cause a wait or it's raining.

The only reason Bank-Lewisham trains don't stop at West India Quay in the peak is because Platform 1 isn't a platform. Logically in the peak you got 4 "Platforms/Lines" at West India Quay (1-4), the outer 2 (1/4) run to/from Bank and the inner 2 (2/3) run to/from All Saints with very little facility to crossover. Off-peak there are sufficient paths to use the crossover.

Howardh

Established Member
Nothing better to do, so looked up the fare for Wigan NW to Wigan Wallgate. Happily, it's the cheapest fare in the world...£0.00. The catch is you have to walk across the road, no trains involved (boooo).

But they are two separate stations, and the train journey can easily be done (WW > Bolton > Preston > WNW) so there should be a fare for it! I demand a first-class single for £0.01.

user15681

Established Member
They both have their purposes and it's necessary for them to be this close, but Chatham and Rochester are very close to each other in terms of distance, only about 900 meters I believe.

kieron

Established Member
Yes, as far as I know all trains call at both stations.
As to why they're there, I'd say because otherwise, if you wanted to change from Maidstone East to Maidstone West, you'd have a pretty long walk. Or two buses (can't think of a direct one...)
It saves around half a mile. That is a problem for some rail users, but most of those people wouldn't go to Maidstone East from either station anyway.

I don't know how many people would miss Maidstone Barracks if (say) the Tonbridge trains stopped calling, though.
BACHE and chester arnt far
They're a mile and a half apart according to the NRT, which is actually one of the bigger gaps on Merseyrail.

LadyDeltic

Duke Street to Alexandra Parade
Barnhill to Springburn

Both in Glasgow and very close to one another.

There are so many examples on the Glasgow network. Kings Park and Croftfoot are less than a mile apart, and, to my knowledge, both stations are served on the same basis. Similarly, Queens Park is just up the road from Crosshill, with about two minutes of travel time between them; both are served on the Cathcart services.

Ardrossan Town to Ardrossan Harbour has got to be one of the shortest distances I've covered - less than half a mile between them, and both are served on the same hourly service from Glasgow Central!

james60059

I would have thought Fishguard Harbour and the newly reopened Fishguard & Goodwick would have been good candidates too maybe?.

coupwotcoup

Prittlewell is only a 3 Wood away from Southend Victoria but the former is handier for the football ground.

Garforth and East Garforth are close and I believe that every service that stops at East Garforth also stops at Garforth.

Only East Garforth has disabled access though (I think!)

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
City Thameslink and Blackfriars anyone?

As has been stated earlier in the thread, when you have two stations really close to each other, each of which see ten of millions of journeys a year then you have to appreciate how they help prevent severe overcrowding. Imagine if there were half the number of stations in the city and the same amount of passengers? It would be hell on earth.

Bungle73

On Moderation
City Thameslink was built as a replacement for Holborn Viaduct wasn't it? Not only that the platforms are very long, so while one entrance is very near Blackfriar's, the other is some distance from it.

Batman

Bloxwich and Bloxwich North are just 600m apart. Bloxwich could do with being re-located to the site of the level crossing, but that would require signaling equipment to be moved.

Chester Road and Erdington are also very close together.

12CSVT

Established Member
City Thameslink was built as a replacement for Holborn Viaduct wasn't it? Not only that the platforms are very long, so while one entrance is very near Blackfriar's, the other is some distance from it.

The north entrance is barely a stone's throw from the platforms extention at Farringdon

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
The north entrance is barely a stone's throw from the platforms extention at Farringdon

some rip-off fares too, £3.60 first class single from City TL - Blackfriars! :shock:

As for ease of crowding, never thought of it like that! I do get some odd looks when I scratch a required 319 in between City TL and Blackfriars!

cal12

scotstounhill and garcadden i can walk that distance in less than 10 minutes
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
*garscadden

Status
Not open for further replies.