• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations Where Passengers Have to Cross the Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamS

Poppleton - not sure if it still counts though, you now have to cross over the level crossing as they closed the foot crossing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
Gomshall on the North Downs line again. I felt the visibility there was not that good.

And probably numerous locations in the States and Canada too.
I was dismayed at one on the San Francisco-San Jose commuter line where all rush hour passengers for the platform on the far side from the entrance have to cross the tracks on foot, meanwhile nonstop services were run in the opposite direction at full speed, nothing more than a tinkling bell for the passengers plus a huge amount of loco whistling on charging through, with people crossing just in front or waiting feet from the passing train.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Matlock Bath - last time I looked there was a very short 10mph speed restriction for the width of the crossing. This is the access to the Heights of Abraham cable car.

Newark Castle used to have a crossing at the east end, meaning passengers alighting from a train arriving from Nottingham would block that train's departure towards Lincoln. Changed a few years ago so this platform is accessed from the road level crossing.

lincolnshire

Thorne South is another one.

Not any more, it had a temporary footbridge put in after a near miss before the Hatfield Colliery Landslip the other year and while the landslip was on head a monster footbtidge and ramps permantly fitted while the rail replacement was running and so reopened after the landslip with footbridge and ramps. Bet they wished they had still been using the origional station as it did have a subway between platforms origionally
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Poppleton - not sure if it still counts though, you now have to cross over the level crossing as they closed the foot crossing.

No that would not count as you use the road, same as at Howden you can only cross when the barriers are up.

Crowle is another one where there is only a foot crossing between platforms since approx 1979 when the level crossing and bridge across the canal was closed and removerd and replace by the flyover nearby across the canal and railway. Its down to have a monster footbridge and ramps built sometime which will look and eyesore or a blot on the landscape.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Drigg station, on the Cumbrian Coast. There may be more along that route, I can't remember too well.

Parallel

Established Member
Dyffryn Ardudwy and probably some others on the Cambrian Coast.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Given the number of Yorkshire forum members, surprised that no one mentioned South Milford. (Unless I'm wrong, of course.)

D6975

Established Member
Topsham on the Exmouth branch used to be bridge-less. Not been there for a while, is it still across a level crossing to the other side?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Nearly everywhere in rural Europe!

One station between Munich and Salzburg (can't remember which) had trains stopping on a platform-less middle track with passengers having to walk across a line to get between the train and the platform.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Salhouse, the only access to the station is on the down platform (platform two), to reach platform one, you have to cross the two lines using the barrow crossing provided.

Further to this, I believe Littleport is in a similar situation?

TP

fenview

Salhouse, the only access to the station is on the down platform (platform two), to reach platform one, you have to cross the two lines using the barrow crossing provided.

Further to this, I believe Littleport is in a similar situation?

TP

Certainly Littleport the last time I used it.

Buttsy

Established Member
Horton-in-Ribblesdale is another.

Given the number of Yorkshire forum members, surprised that no one mentioned South Milford. (Unless I'm wrong, of course.)

South Milford you're directed to walk under the railway on the road rather than cross the line (even though you are allowed cross the line). Nearby Sherburn-in-Elmet requires crossing of the line and is protected by remnants of the old level crossing, which comes down about 5 mins before the train is due - not helpful if you've come from the village for a southbound train.

Ascott-under-Wychwood, Eastrington and Nunthrope are via the road level crossing.

Last edited:

Buttsy

Established Member
Habrough is via road level crossing.
Knaresborough is by the former road crossing.
Seamer by singal locked gates
Tackley
Normanton used to be light controlled, but I think there's a bridge there now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
all of the stations on the Marston Vale line

Never noticed the crossing at Bletchley ;)

Last edited:

nowananorack

Harlech, on the Cambrian, though there is a footbridge between the platforms towards the Porthmadog end. I don't know what state its in.
Though there is a footbridge, most access the Ffestiniog Railway at Blaenau Ffestiniog accross the end of the ATW from Llandudno.
Tanygrisiau, on the FR, Beddgelert & Rhyd Ddu, on the WHR, are all island platforms.
Pont Croesor, on the WHR, the Caernarfon bound platform is accross the tracks.
At WHR's Dinas, access to the Porthmadog bound trains is accross the tracks

elucidate

I know that one of the stations that fall on the line between Cambridge and Cheshunt has such a crossing ... I think it's Sawbridgeworth.

EDIT: My bad, it was actually a station on my way to Lincoln last year. I think it was Swinderby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.