• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with a V or triangle layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
Wrexham General is an odd one because you can't get to both legs of the V from both lines coming in from the North (i.e. can't get from Chester to Wrexham Central).

but isnt CHester and Wrexham Central both the 'northern' ways out the station? i thought Ruabon and the Borderlands line were the 'southern' ways leaving the station. (sorry, i was looking at map upside down and getting confused... whoops!)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
Wrexham General used to be two stations (the Bidston - Wrexham Central platform was Wrexham Exchange until the two stations were merged, I think in the 1970s)

4SRKT

Established Member
Was Wrexham Exchange originally LNWR to General's GWR?

12CSVT

Established Member
According to the pre-grouping atlas Wrexham Exchange was Great Central, although LNWR and Cambrian Railway did have lines in the area. The main line through Wrexham General was GWR.

4SRKT

Established Member
Great Central? Good Lord! I never would have guessed that.

12CSVT

Established Member
Great Central? Good Lord! I never would have guessed that.

Probably no more bizarre than LNWR reaching Cambridge and Carmarthen and Midland Railway having a presence in Bristol

And I'm sure the LNWR used to operate lines on the other side of the Irish Sea

4SRKT

Established Member
Probably no more bizarre than LNWR reaching Cambridge and Carmarthen and Midland Railway having a presence in Bristol

And I'm sure the LNWR used to operate lines on the other side of the Irish Sea

The LNWR had a share in the Dundalk, Newry & Greenore Railway, whose locos had a very LNWR look, but never owned anything outright.

The Midland Railway bought the Belfast & Northern Counties Railway in 1903, so had extensive operations in Counties Antrim and Londonderry. It ran it under the name of Midland Railway (Northern Counties Committee). By 1948 the NCC was LMS to the core (it even became part of BR for a year as the railways in Northern Ireland weren't nationalised until 1949).

Status
Not open for further replies.