• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with a V or triangle layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
Might I suggest Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria.

Platforms 13 & 14 at Piccadilly and 1 & 2 at Victoria have different ticket inspection lines from the rest of the platforms at those stations.

I don't think either counts. 1 & 2 at Victoria are just bays, and 1-12 at Piccadilly effectively likewise.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Willesden Junction is also a cross station IMHO. As was Stratford before the North Woolwich line went. This meant Stratford at one time had both a V and a cross layout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyvern

Established Member
The ever helpful Wikipedia says for triangle stations:
Ambergate

Ambergate was a genuine triangle for many years but now only one platform.

Duffield is a Vee (where the ends of the platforms join) between the Midland main line and the Ecclesbourne Valley line (not yet open, quite) Does that count?

4SRKT

Established Member
Ambergate was a genuine triangle for many years but now only one platform.

Duffield is a Vee (where the ends of the platforms join) between the Midland main line and the Ecclesbourne Valley line (not yet open, quite) Does that count?

It will do, when it's opened. Which reminds me of one I really ought to have remembered, given that it's only 5 miles from my house: Keighley!

Wyvern

Established Member
Sorry scratch Piccadilly. Missed seeing earlier post :(

Last edited:

NSEFAN

Established Member
I think Bourne End would count, as it makes a sort-of V shape with the lines from Maidenhead and Marlow.

Established Member
Some OK pubs in Keighley. It's a strange town tho.

A couple of strange people as well. One started talking to me at the station. Thank God he got on the Forster Square train and not the Leeds one!

Ivo

Established Member
Surely another West Midlands 'cross' would be Smethwick Galton Bridge?

...and can I be cheeky and add Moorfields and Liverpool Central to the 'cross' list? :D

Having just sent a message to Mojo about LM on Saturday, I accidentally deleted all 17 of my messages to date :(

Last edited:

Oswyntail

Established Member
A couple of strange people as well. One started talking to me at the station. Thank God he got on the Forster Square train and not the Leeds one!
Shocking - talking to other people! (But i do agree that Keighley is a very odd place)

4SRKT

Established Member
...and can I be cheeky and add Moorfields and Liverpool Central to the 'cross' list? :D

Only if you're prepared to have some smart alec* list every mainline station in thatLondon that also has a tube stop!

* that would be me BTW!

Established Member
Shocking - talking to other people! (But i do agree that Keighley is a very odd place)

Would have been fine for me, apart from the fact he was ****ed at 11 in the morning and had a grudge against Asian people for some reason, and was going to Bradford as well..

Wyvern

Established Member
Just a quick additional puzzler.

In what city did one company's main line run right above another company's main station?

Vulcan

Keighley is a V shape, just because one half of the V is preserved doesn't make it any less so!

Would Morecambe count as V, as the branch to Heysham port is only accessible by reversing from the platforms. (I think)

Bedpan

Established Member
Also Hinchley Wood, nobody's mentioned that yet. Is an island platform at one end but then the up an down lines diverge as theres a dive under where it joins the main line. I suppose you could say the same for Raynes Park too, although its in two halves.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Well, there's a fence, but the two platforms are the same structure, as are the buildings and the roof.

TBF the last time I went on the Strathspey Railway it was 1987 and things may have changed since then! I seem to remember it was a few hundred yards between the stations.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Has anyone mentioned Hither Green yet - and March come to think of it ?

Wyvern

Established Member
Nottingham, GCR ran over Nottingham Midland Station

Right.

Also yorksrob: Fair Nottamun Town

Sorry - should have quoted Wyvern!

That's OK

Also: Originally Posted by MCR247
Tamworth?

Tamworth has already been quoted as a cross shaped station which could not be done for Nottingham Midland.

To be pedantic the line at Tamworth (the Trent Valley line) ran under the other which was there first - the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway.

Tamworth High Level has been lifted up twice, first in the 19th. century to run the Trent Valley under it, later in the 20th. to install the knitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.