• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with a V or triangle layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Waddon

Would Brighton count as a sort of inverted V shape? (two of the Hove platforms cannot be accessed from the main line, and Hove trains can only access one of the main line platforms)

manaichain

Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex (formerly Didcot, Oxfordsh
Quainton Road is/was a V the Brill platform diverges just before the platform and curves round in the platform. They still have the bubble car going between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury on regular service, it goes up to Quainton Road frequently (half term, holiday weekends etc)

Southport is V sort of, there's about 8 platforms, and you can only access both lines from Platform 3. But that might not count....

37 418

Inverness I would say is a V as only Platform 5 can be accessed from the east, even then only a 2 car unit can do it and plus the chord isn't used!

Aviemore Speyside station is now closed, so yes Aviemore does count as a V.

12CSVT

Established Member
Highbury Vale (Nottingham Express Transit)
Baker Street (Circle / Metropolitan Line platforms)

Bedpan

Established Member
Hinchley Wood is a true V - starts as an island platform at the south end but the north ends of each platform are about 60 yds away from each other as the up line curves away to dive under the bridge to access the south western main line at Hampton Court Junction.

Oops, didn't realise that it was an old thread and I have already said this.

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
Too lazy to wade through previous entries, so my suggestions that may have been done are:
Barnt Green
Grosmont, albeit split pres and NR

That's all I can think of where the platforms are a true V.

b0b

Established Member
I seem to remember Crystal Palace, or is the V just before the station?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm suprised Ravensthorpe isn't, given the line to Wakefield goes right past the station - or that they didn't just build the station before the split (it's not as if it's in the town centre anyway...).

Established Member
Did it used to be a V shape? I know that it had more substantial buildings before the current set up was built, although have wondered if it used to be a V. Probably not much demand to build a new platform these days.

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm suprised Ravensthorpe isn't, given the line to Wakefield goes right past the station - or that they didn't just build the station before the split (it's not as if it's in the town centre anyway...).

West St Leonards is a very similar story.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Did it used to be a V shape? I know that it had more substantial buildings before the current set up was built, although have wondered if it used to be a V. Probably not much demand to build a new platform these days.

So far as I know it's never been a V. I've been through it a lot but only used it once! Not a lot there.

Established Member
Used to be a triangle though - have a look at the plan here in 1925.

Should have known this one straight away as it's my local station!

SteamontheMet

Greenford (Mainline Station no longer exists)

Kew Bridge SWT (station situated on the southern section of a Triangle)

West Ealing/Hanwell/Drayton Green (All situated on different sections of a Triangle)

Moor Park/Croxely/Rickmansworth (All situated on different sections of a Triangle)

:D

Lewisham Mainline Kinda has V junction on the station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
St Denys (Southampton) is a V that meets the original question isn't it?
What about Sutton, didn't see that so far either.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
West St Leonards is a very similar story.

Interestingly with West St Leonards, there used to be a completely seperate station on the coast route called St Leonards West Marina which lased until 1967 (the overgrown down platform still remains). This was due to the routes originally being owned by seperate railway companies - Marina was I think, the most Easterly on the LB&SCR whilst everything beyond Bo-Peep junction was SER.

I'm not sure whether this would count for the purposes of the thread though.

Bastiaan

Stratford, Bushey and Watford Junction still aren't mentioned here.

EDIT: Oh, Stratford "Mainline" was already mentioned :)

4SRKT

Established Member
Wrexham General is an odd one because you can't get to both legs of the V from both lines coming in from the North (i.e. can't get from Chester to Wrexham Central).

Status
Not open for further replies.