• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with no road access such as Berney Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Middlewood and Teesside Airport are two that spring to mind.

Gathursty

Established Member
Teesside Airport - you can drive to the station. Enter the airport and go to the left and follow the road towards the hangars and keep going as though towards the metal fence. the gap becomes clear and Teesside Airport station is ahead on a very small turning circle. Check Google satellite view.

For me, unless you work at TATA Steel, Redcar British Steel (e-mail nicely and they'll let you in ;)) is not vehicular accessible.

Commondale is at the other end of a field of sheep with stiles at either end but you can park near the farmhouse 200m away.

Llanaber - the track is very steep and overgrown but I can't recommend driving down. Just pull up on the Barmouth road.

Dovey Junction - long walk from the A487.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Corrour can, sort of, be reached by motor vehicle- but it is a long long way down a private unpaved road.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Teesside Airport - you can drive to the station. Enter the airport and go to the left and follow the road towards the hangars and keep going as though towards the metal fence. the gap becomes clear and Teesside Airport station is ahead on a very small turning circle. Check Google satellite view.

Strange arrangement.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Berney Arms. (And no, I'm on a mobile and I didn't read the entire title :oops: Don't ask! Sorry)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
A few on Heritage lines:
Snowdon Summit (and others on the SMR?)
Totnes Littlehempston? - Remember using a footpath from the main station.
Southend Pier Head/Ryde Pier Head?
Shelley (Kirklees Light Railway)?

38Cto15E

Long gone but Trent station between Nottingham and Derby I think was one, I am not sure if the station was called Trent Jct.

It was unusual in that the odd train going northbound stopped at the same platform and was going in the same direction as their southbound version, this may have been The Waverley or Thames Clyde Express.

12CSVT

Established Member
A few on Heritage lines:

You could also add
Plymouth Road (Barry Island Railway)
Smallbrook Junction (Isle of Wight)
Newtondale Halt (North Yorkshire Moors)
Ravenstor (Ecclesbourne Valley)
Kelling (North Norfolk)

Boothby97

Established Member
You could also add
Plymouth Road (Barry Island Railway)
Smallbrook Junction (Isle of Wight)
Newtondale Halt (North Yorkshire Moors)
Ravenstor (Ecclesbourne Valley)
Kelling (North Norfolk)

Yarwell Junction on the Nene Valley Railway, I don't think has road access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Sam

wibble

A few on Heritage lines:

Ryde Pierhead is accessible by car, although cars have to pay a toll to use it (which also covers up to an hour's parking on the pier)

Monty

Established Member
Longcross station also has no road access if I remember correctly.

crispy1978

Penychain in a way - there is a road, but after going down it last year, there is nowhere to park and you wouldn't fancy it in a car given the size of the potholes - my ankle is still cringing at one of them from last year after I fell down it in the dark!!

tsr

Established Member
Penychain in a way - there is a road, but after going down it last year, there is nowhere to park and you wouldn't fancy it in a car given the size of the potholes - my ankle is still cringing at one of them from last year after I fell down it in the dark!!

Altnabreac is apparently a bit like that. There is a track, but you would be ill-advised to use it, unless your car is very sturdy or you have a Forestry Commission truck!

Drsatan

Established Member
Smallbrook Junction station on the Isle of Wight is inaccessible by both foot and car. This is due to the station's location and its reason for existence: it was opened in 1990 as an interchange station between the Island Line and the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

steamybrian

Established Member
Dduallt on the Ffestiniog Rly has no road access in fact you will need a good map and compass to find it.
Dolgoch on the Tallyllyn is reached by approx 200 yard footpath from the car park.
The small halts on the Vale Of Rheidol Rly at Rheidol Falls and Rhiwfron are accessible only from a steeply sloping footpath.
Kingscote on the Bluebell Railway is an oddity because the station approach road is closed for cars and only accessible on foot (or by bus until the line was recently extended to East Grinstead.)

tsr

Established Member
Smallbrook Junction station on the Isle of Wight is inaccessible by both foot and car. This is due to the station's location and its reason for existence: it was opened in 1990 as an interchange station between the Island Line and the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

I wonder what the emergency evacuation procedure is, should a train not be due for some time...

Gathursty

Established Member
Altnabreac is apparently a bit like that. There is a track, but you would be ill-advised to use it, unless your car is very sturdy or you have a Forestry Commission truck!

I intend to do Altnabreac this Summer in my Corsa but Google Streetview doesn't go upto the station. I am aware of people living in the station house but I've also seen a big gate with Forestry Commission branding en route. I shall post communications with the Forestry Commision regarding access for us commoners in due course.

tsr

Established Member
Maybe so, but the station signs specifically state that persons using the station must have business with the Marines camp, which is served by road.

I understood the MoD have now installed a new public footpath (or, maybe bridleway/byway) complete with official signage and special information boards about what they do on the site - is this not correct, then?

dysonsphere

Consall station on the Churnet Valley Railway only an unpaved private track a long way from the nearest side road. Nice restored station though.

bAzTNM

Going with my old memory here: Craigendoran near Helensburgh in Scotland?

Status
Not open for further replies.