• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopped for ages, engines still running

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCub

I've just had the 'pleasure' of a trip to Kettering and back on a dismal 222.

While waiting for the return, I noticed that the service from London waits at Kettering before going to Corby for half an hour - this happens all day, albeit in the opposite direction during the evening peak.

The whole time, this five coach train was sat there, engines running, belching out fumes. Surely it would make sense to turn the engines off and save on fuel for such periods of time. Or am I being daft and it is actually more economical to have it running. Is there another reason why they do this?

Mr Cub

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
I would have thought that for climate control, it's better to leave it running. Also firing up an engine takes up a fair amount of energy, especially if it's cold.

Perhaps it also reduces the risk of failure. Once started, it's less likely to stall?

LondonLarry

It's probably better to keep the engines running for fuel efficency and for the overall life of the engine. Voyagers can't have long periods with the engine switched off and need to be run every 8-12 hours to prevent damage to them.

GB

Established Member
With just a half hour turn around there is little point in shutting the engines down and as said above, shutting down and restarting engines also uses fuel as well as increasing the wear and tear. Then of course you have all the electrical systems that would soon drain the batteries unless a shore supply is attached.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You might find this helpful,
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=411506
Its from another thread in this section just a few days ago:
. . . . . pre-heat the diesel engine cooling water, ensuring that the diesel engines are never started from freezing cold, avoiding the shock and potential damage that this causes (this has always been and continues to be a problem for Valentas, as GC has found - MTU invalidates the warranty on its engines unless the cooling water is maintained at 40 degrees C or more).

If the warranty on your engines won't even let their temp drop to 40 above winter air temp then who's going to dare risk switching them off?

devon_metro

Established Member
If the warranty on your engines won't even let their temp drop to 40 above winter air temp then who's going to dare risk switching them off?

Nobody, hence why in depots they are hooked up to a shore supply, and where not available, one engine is left on providing train heat.

dk1

Veteran Member
Unless more than an hour we never turn off engines on units. Mainly due to during winter the heating/air-con will not keep passengers warm & if the next driver turns up late to the train, waiting to build up air may cause a late start.

TDK

Established Member
I've just had the 'pleasure' of a trip to Kettering and back on a dismal 222.

While waiting for the return, I noticed that the service from London waits at Kettering before going to Corby for half an hour - this happens all day, albeit in the opposite direction during the evening peak.

The whole time, this five coach train was sat there, engines running, belching out fumes. Surely it would make sense to turn the engines off and save on fuel for such periods of time. Or am I being daft and it is actually more economical to have it running. Is there another reason why they do this?

Mr Cub

If you shut the engines down the train looses it's air so then the doors will be accessable on both sides of the train, maybe this is why it was left running

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Job for the RAC or AA boys me thinks :)
Aww, what's wrong with a good ol' push-start? Rail vehicles are designed to roll easily aren't they?
Just shove for a bit and then wave to the driver (looking in the wing mirror) to slip it into gear!

Hmmm. Maybe not. (But, have you noticed how train cabs in some countries really DO have wing-mirrors?)

Sir_Clagalot

like this? Taken in Melbourne on the Epping Branch. One of my dad's cousins lives there (as does one of his sisters!) and her husband drives the suburban stuff from Epping. Managed to arrange a cab ride last time I was there<D Was great other than the 4am start!

Attachments

• DSCN0143.jpg
    DSCN0143.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.