• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Ciarán: Weather related disruption 1/2 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Should be clearer by Friday evening. Current advice is just to check your travel / route regularly.
Thanks. I’m aware the weather will be clear on Friday but might still be flooding, trees on line etc, particularly as my journey is within the amber warning area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thanks. I’m aware the weather will be clear on Friday but might still be flooding, trees on line etc, particularly as my journey is within the amber warning area.

Yep that's true - again its impossible to know the exact impact so I'd check the route a few times a day and the SWR website periodically just to be sure.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Don't you think it will be too late to change plans by then?

SWR are already running some shuttles on Thursday. They are also advising passengers can defer to 3rd, which suggests the expectation of a reasonably normal service.

To keep our services operating safely, we will be running an amended timetable on parts of the South Coast and in the West of England on Thursday 2nd November:

• London Waterloo-Weymouth services will start and terminate at Bournemouth, with an hourly rail shuttle service between Bournemouth and Weymouth
  • Services from Portsmouth Harbour to London Waterloo via Basingstoke will be altered after Basingstoke, calling at Woking only, with services in the opposite direction running as normal
  • London Waterloo-Salisbury services will run once every hour
  • Salisbury-Exeter St Davids services will run once every two hours
  • Basingstoke-Salisbury shuttle services will be suspended
  • Brockenhurst-Lymington Pier services will be suspended
  • Island Line services will run hourly between Shanklin and Ryde St John’s Road, with buses replacing trains between Ryde St John’s Road and Ryde Pier Head
Journey planners will be fully up to date on Thursday 2 November. You should check before setting off on your journey and double check your return journey.

You may wish to consider if your journey on Thursday 2 November is entirely necessary and change your travel plans. If you do decide to travel, please check before you travel and allow extra time for your journey.

If you travel on Thursday morning, you should be aware that short notice changes to services may mean return journeys are delayed or cancelled. If you have a ticket for Thursday, you will be able to use this on Wednesday 1 November or Friday 3 November instead.

Southeastern also advising again travel on Thursday until 0900: https://twitter.com/Se_Railway/status/1719701838205714785

#StormCiarán will cause disruption to our services tomorrow and severe disruption is highly likely. We strongly advise that you do not attempt to travel on "Mainline" routes before at least 09:00. More information and advice available on our website https://bit.ly/40hkKHr

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Southern are now suggesting people work from home. Suggestions are the air pressure will be some of the lowest in decades.

Storm Ciarán: England and Channel Islands prepare for disruption https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-67271027
The forecasts are certainly looking grim - the lunchtime Shipping Forecast suggesting hurricane force winds are fairly likely in the area between Devon/Cornwall and Brittany and possible in a significantly wider area than that. Fortunately it looks like the worst of it will be somewhat restricted to the coasts but still this is a brutal storm.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Folk may have come across it already, but the Met Office have a YouTube channel that's quite useful for stuff like this. Every Tuesday they upload a detailed video on the forthcoming forecast, not only giving an in-depth forecast but going into explaining why they are predicting what they are, and even showing other models used. Link below if anyone is interested:

kristiang85

Established Member

There's another system coming in right after Ciaran (likely to be called Debi), but isn't getting much attention whilst Ciaron is going on, but pressures look similarly low, however the isobars won't be as packed, so we should be OK from wind, however there will be more rain. And pretty much everywhere is saturated...

As for Ciaran, models are showing a worrying trend to slightly north, which would bring stronger winds to the south coast. Hopefully it will be clearer this evening, although we won't know for sure obviously until its upon us. A lot of the main models were underestimating the speed of the jet stream, which has made this particularly difficult to read.

Established Member
LNER running amended timetable from tomorrow afternoon, details being updated and published later today.

Sleepy

Established Member
GA will have 50mph speed restriction on East Suffolk line, Felixstowe and Clacton line tommorow.

Trainguy34

I've got a concert at the O2 tomorrow night, what are the likelihoods of me being able to get back to Kent on HS1 from Stratford Int'l? The last resorts are: Midnight coach from Victoria to Canterbury (008), arriving at 2am OR hotel in Stratford and get an early morning train on Friday Morning.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It should be fun there this evening: (High tide at 2043, plus heavy rain and 57 mph wind S.Easterly...)
Looks like GWR are already putting in plans with this in mind. I can see a number of this evening's down services are planned to terminate at Plymouth or Exeter, with a shuttle service appearing to be planned between the two. This is leading to some interesting allocations on RTT currently, with 1C92 1803 Paddington-Plymouth allocated as 2x150s from Exeter onwards—makes sense to me as if there's a train I trust to pass Dawlish unimpeded by waves and sea spray, its a 150 and not an IET.

It's actually been a rather pleasant day in Devon so far, the skies are currently reasonably cloud-free though I can see a very substantial bank of cloud in the distance towards the west, a clear portent of the storm to come.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've got a concert at the O2 tomorrow night, what are the likelihoods of me being able to get back to Kent on HS1 from Stratford Int'l? The last resorts are: Midnight coach from Victoria to Canterbury (008), arriving at 2am OR hotel in Stratford and get an early morning train on Friday Morning.

From what I've seen, I'd be booking a hotel if you can and not risking it with transport. Just in case things go wrong, personally I'd rather be tucked up in a hotel tomorrow night than risking being out in the elements on a bus/coach/train and having a thoroughly unenjoyable experience.

Established Member
LNER running amended timetable from tomorrow afternoon, details being updated and published later today.
Taken from LNER website:-

As a result, we are expecting disruption to LNER services until at least Saturday 4 November. Customers are advised to avoid travel by train during this period if possible.

• Services between Newcastle and Edinburgh: From 15:00 on Thursday 2 November, an hourly train service will be running between Edinburgh and Newcastle, in both directions. This will be in place until the end of service on Friday 3 November. These train services will be subject to delays of up to 40 minutes due to a speed restriction in place on this route.
  • Services between Edinburgh and Aberdeen: After 10:30 on Thursday 2 November until Saturday 4 November there will be no train services operating from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, in both directions.
Customer travel advice:

• We strongly advise customers to avoid travelling on Thursday 2 November and Friday 3 November. Some LNER trains will be running, but there is likely to be major disruption including severe delays, short notice cancellations and overcrowding. There may be service alterations on Saturday 4 November as we work towards reinstating our normal timetable.
  • If your journey is wholly with LNER, tickets dated Wednesday 1 November, Thursday 2 November or Friday 3 November are now valid for travel on any other LNER service up to, and including, Tuesday 7 November.

Howardh

Established Member
As an aside, flight radar site shows eastbound planes flying with the wind over the Atlantic, gaining time, and those westbound flying much further north/south to avoid!

londonmidland

Established Member
I think another thing to consider is how easily flooding can occur. After all the rain we’ve had, it won’t take much for it to be an issue again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think another thing to consider is how easily flooding can occur. After all the rain we’ve had, it won’t take much for it to be an issue again.

Very true that. With the rain already had here, I'm amazed some parts of Hereford aren't flooded already. The worst of it is due overnight/tomorrow I'm told, certainly the wind is due to make a very unpleasant appearance. It was bad enough today, so it's going to be another fun month. Not!

Sleepy

Established Member
Looks like GWR are already putting in plans with this in mind. I can see a number of this evening's down services are planned to terminate at Plymouth or Exeter, with a shuttle service appearing to be planned between the two. This is leading to some interesting allocations on RTT currently, with 1C92 1803 Paddington-Plymouth allocated as 2x150s from Exeter onwards—makes sense to me as if there's a train I trust to pass Dawlish unimpeded by waves and sea spray, its a 150 and not an IET.

It's actually been a rather pleasant day in Devon so far, the skies are currently reasonably cloud-free though I can see a very substantial bank of cloud in the distance towards the west, a clear portent of the storm to come.
1803 cancelled Paddington to Exeter (as is 1903) so travel West from London tonight won't be much fun.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm going to a concert in Shoreham-by-Sea tomorrow night. I'll be travelling from Haywards Heath

The wind seems to be dying down by 19:00 so hopefully I will make it to the concert.

Going by car and not public transport.

MasterSpenny

Snow1964

Established Member
The winds are expected to be much worse near Channel Islands and Normandy. The centre of the low (the quiet eye of the storm) is currently expected to track over Devon about 3am, over Wiltshire at dawn, then track over the Chilterns towards Norfolk by mid afternoon.

Of course these things can change track, and could be nearer London or further north towards Lincolnshire. But there is a risk of low intensification and what is often called a sting jet (where very cold air 2-3 miles altitude rushes towards the lower pressure at surface).

Couple of handy links, Wind and rain radar

Dan G

GWR stopped running west of St Austell at 8pm. A reduced service is operating between Exeter and Plymouth

Services will resume midday tomorrow

williamn

As with disruption earlier this week it seems no ticket acceptance arranged by LNER with Scotrail north of Edinburgh despite their service currently likely to run normally.

MP393

The Heart of Wales (Shrewsbury - Swansea via Llandrindod) and Cowny Valley (Llandudno - Blaenau Ffestiniog) are closed completely tomorrow, and will remain so until at least mid morning Friday until proving runs can take place in daylight. There is also some other alterations to services between Shrewsbury & Machynlleth, and west of Carmarthen.

Russel

The Heart of Wales (Shrewsbury - Swansea via Llandrindod) and Cowny Valley (Llandudno - Blaenau Ffestiniog) are closed completely tomorrow, and will remain so until at least mid morning Friday until proving runs can take place in daylight. There is also some other alterations to services between Shrewsbury & Machynlleth, and west of Carmarthen.

Going back to my previous post about the Conwy Valley being washed away by lunch time, it looks like TFW were thinking the same!

irp

Well this took long (Exeter St Davids, On the Up):

And to be clarify, the text is "IET BROK" as per Traksky

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 21.10.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 21.10.45.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

SJ21

Overheard earlier from a XC and GW Highspeed driver at Exeter St Davids that IET's and Voyagers are to be completely barred along the Sea Wall this time, with Castle's and 150/158's and Turbo's picking up all. It certainly seems to be this way, with all services being operated by 150's and Castles currently.
Well this took long (Exeter St Davids, On the Up):
Appears to be this which died unfortunately...

Established Member
Overheard earlier from a XC and GW Highspeed driver at Exeter St Davids that IET's and Voyagers are to be completely barred along the Sea Wall this time, with Castle's and 150/158's and Turbo's picking up all. It certainly seems to be this way, with all services being operated by 150's and Castles currently.

Appears to be this which died unfortunately...
But it’s made it past Dawlish which is more than previous IETs did in storm conditions!

D1024

As with disruption earlier this week it seems no ticket acceptance arranged by LNER with Scotrail north of Edinburgh despite their service currently likely to run normally.
They dont seem to have an answer to this failing, and I dont think a Yellow warning of rain is justification to scrap the service. - Amber or Red then fair enough. I did a quick check just now and LNER were happy to offer to sell me tickets for services that are not going to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.