• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Desmond- Weekend 4th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Yes it was. Wether it was crewed or had power i cant say. All i know came from a network rail news bulletin email which stated it was in the station and being used as a hotel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lemmy99uk

It had lights but no air-con so was quite cold.

Doors were left released to allow people to use station facilities as required.

Last 3 pax left the train at 15:30 today for a bus to Newcastle.

LeylandLen

Affected hospitals without power in Carlisle and Lancaster are using back-up generators.
I assume those stations dont have any. Could be a good investment for them , maybe several generators located at strategic locations ? Obviously would need road transport .

Established Member
I heard today from a member of rail staff that apparently the railway to Lancaster from Preston is open but as there isn't a generator at Lancaster station, the actual station itself is closed.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Affected hospitals without power in Carlisle and Lancaster are using back-up generators.
I assume those stations dont have any. Could be a good investment for them , maybe several generators located at strategic locations ? Obviously would need road transport .

Why would you need generators to power stations on a railway line that's closed due to 8 feet of floodwater though, other than to perhaps make life a tiny bit easier when running a replacement bus service ?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When there's a big storm like this do any extra "Thunderbird" locos get move into strategic positions?

thenorthern

Established Member
The Cumbrian Coast line is shut, I spoke to someone in Grange-over-Sands earlier and they kept having power cuts. I think they are installing back up generators around the North West for domestic electricity and not just hospitals where there has been a power cut.

wensley

Established Member
OHL now on the floor at East Boldon ... Remains to be seen if this is Desmond related, and more importantly if it'll affect tomorrow's service!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
When there's a big storm like this do any extra "Thunderbird" locos get move into strategic positions?

the thunderbirds are already at strategic locations - other locos can be brought to readiness just in case, although that is mostly for route proving/snow clearance runs etc

The DRS hauled Tesco train has been parked on the WCML just south of Carlisle Station since roughly 15:00 Saturday Afternoon, literally no place else for it due to the flooding (Think its too long to fit in station, without obstructing other lines?)

"Unsafe road conditions" may have been accurate for some locations at some times over the weekend, but the continued absence of road replacements on Monday needs a more honest explanation.

BBC travel shows no problems that would prevent coaches running from Edinburgh/Glasgow (or any railhead further south) to Penrith, which seems scheduled for a petty full southbound service.

What are the dangers that TOCs think make road replacements unthinkable today (but which everyone else seems to have overlooked)?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The buses and that they might use might already be spoken for during part of the day as school buses. Even if bus/coach companies have buses/coaches available they might not have the spare drivers.

TUC

Established Member
The buses and that they might use might already be spoken for during part of the day as school buses. Even if bus/coach companies have buses/coaches available they might not have the spare drivers.

But if that's the case the TOCs should say so rather than pretending it is due to unsafe conditions.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Absolutely no communication or announcements from Chiltern and they refused to answer the so called "help" system.

The latter is particularly of concern since there are all manner of reasons people could be using it. What's the point of having the system if TOCs don't have arrangements for calls to be answered?

Veteran Member
"Unsafe road conditions" may have been accurate for some locations at some times over the weekend, but the continued absence of road replacements on Monday needs a more honest explanation.

BBC travel shows no problems that would prevent coaches running from Edinburgh/Glasgow (or any railhead further south) to Penrith, which seems scheduled for a petty full southbound service.

What are the dangers that TOCs think make road replacements unthinkable today (but which everyone else seems to have overlooked)?

Flooding.

Latest update is No trains north of Lancaster this morning, and with restricted roads in Carlisle and Lancaster they'd be running non stop Scotland to Preston. Penrith and Oxenholme are probably accessible from the motorway, but not much use just now.

SteveP29

Tyne Valley line should be OK as most of the line is up and above the river. Most of the flooding comes from the farmland. Last year the line was flooded between Riding Mill and Corbridge due to run off from the fields.

Looks like I was one of the lucky ones then.
I was on the 07:06 Edinburgh Waverley to London KC (via Carlisle) travelling to Newcastle.
We made it to Carlisle OK, but then sat and sat.
Train guard told us that a 'river', presumably the Tyne had burst its banks at Haltwhistle.
We got moving again after an hour and a half, the affected area seemed to be more runoff from the fields on the northern side of the line (as per the quote above)
Looking at some of the flooded fields and the speed the river itself was flowing, it was quite scary and I'm glad I was inside the train, not anywhere near it on my feet.
Arrived in Newcastle 1 hour 45 late.
Heard later in the day that trains had been stopped from making the journey from Carlisle to Newcastle.
Saw the Newcastle Evening Chronicle website yesterday and saw that the Tyne burst its banks on the quayside at Newcastle, not surprisingly, seeing how much water was flowing.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Saw the Newcastle Evening Chronicle website yesterday and saw that the Tyne burst its banks on the quayside at Newcastle, not surprisingly, seeing how much water was flowing.
Has that actually happened? The only story I can see of the quayside being flooded was from two years ago; 5th December, 2013.

matacaster

On Moderation
A rather confused message on twitter from Northern. A course in effective communication might be of assistance here.

https://t.co/48DWaB5B1g

Due to poor weather conditions at Carlisle all lines are blocked.
Impact:
Train services between Leeds and Carlisle may be cancelled. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Customer Advice:
Train services will not run between Skipton and Carlisle this morning in either direction due to flooding on the line in reaction to the severe weather experienced across the north-west of the country.
Please to do not attempt to travel on this route as we are unable to provide any road replacement transport.
We are hoping to re-introduce a train service at 10:49 Leeds to Carlisle.
Last Updated :07/12/2015 09:08

The above is at odds with information screens at Leeds.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
It appears that the major flooding is 3 kilometers above Carlisle. Looking on Google Streetview on Etterby Road (Carlisle) with view on the river Eden and railwayline there must have fallen a lot of water!

AndrewE

Established Member
It appears that the major flooding is 3 kilometers above Carlisle. Looking on Google Streetview on Etterby Road (Carlisle) with view on the river Eden and railwayline there must have fallen a lot of water!

That is bad... I heard that the football ground goals were beneath the water, but I didn't realise it was that deep!:lol:
Sorry about that, I must have caught a dose of pedantry from people here!
A

The DRS hauled Tesco train has been parked on the WCML just south of Carlisle Station since roughly 15:00 Saturday Afternoon, literally no place else for it due to the flooding (Think its too long to fit in station, without obstructing other lines?)

It appears aforementioned train has been shunted backwards from WCML and onto the Upperby siding that leads round to the West Cumbrian Line.

gavin

The flood water has now dropped and network rail are clearing the lines plenty of debris around as the pic below shows

8c27f4158696472c8113fa8a53a24748.jpg

Lancaster station remains without power though trains are stopping during daylight hours. Virgin Trains are attempting to source some emergency lighting so services can call there this evening.

The Caledonian Sleeper is running between London Euston and Glasgow via Newcastle calling at Edinburgh, Carstairs & Motherwell and vice versa only this will remain in place until the WCML reopens

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be fair to the railway (as I have been quite critical of some aspects on other threads) this is an impressively quick turnaround to returning services.

thenorthern

Established Member
Virgin Trains are canceling a number of Manchester services due to a shortage of trains at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.