• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Study to consider Borders Railway extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
The 4.3% is the Labour Market Survey figure which is a higher number based a survey sampling but it is not available at small area (sub Local Authority Level) so claimant count is used for small area comparisons even though we know the LMS data presents a more accurate picture as to what the actual level is UK wide.

The equivalent Claimant Count rate GB wide (for some reason NI is excluded) is 1.9%, Scotland wide the rate is 2.4%.

So Bathgate at 2.0% claimant count is around the GB average and below the Scottish average.
Whitburn at 2.9% claimant count is above both the GB and Scottish averages.

The existence of a frequent rail service in Bathgate is almost certainly part of this comparative difference.
Northern Ireland is excluded because technically welfare and social security are devolved there, and so administered separately. In practice, legislation is usually kept identical to provide parity of benefits. Claimant count is 3.3% there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
It would have been a bit of a surprise if they had voted differently, given that that's what their organisation is for.

BigCj34

Just how lucrative is freight for railway revenue? Would timber transportation in the border areas use the line much if at all?

JohnR

Had a discussion with Nigel Harris of Rail magazine on twitter last night - he's all for an extension to Carlisle. Seems to think diversions are enough...

BantamMenace

Had a discussion with Nigel Harris of Rail magazine on twitter last night - he's all for an extension to Carlisle. Seems to think diversions are enough...

Diversions don't build business cases unless there was a planned extensive closure of a busy section of line (like Kemble redouble's business case).

Also, personally I think the use of diversions are disappearing in favour of road transport. Something I would like to see is the maintenance of route knowledge for diversions specified in ITTs and franchises fined for the use of road transport when a pre specified diversion was available. Not's not one for this thread though.

najaB

Veteran Member
c. £1B spent for a sub-optimal diversionary timetable on 30 or fewer days a year. Good way to spend money.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Assuming he wasn't having you on, that says all you need to know about Rail magazine

Altnabreac

Established Member
Assuming he wasn't having you on, that says all you need to know about Rail magazine

John did his best to promote reason but Nigel's argument was "Its the most direct route to Edinburgh from the south".

Oh dear. Lunatics taking over the asylum, at least with Alex Hynes you can assume he was just tellling CBR what they wanted to hear while knowing it was nonsense.

Nigel on the other hand should be telling truth to power.

snowball

Established Member
John did his best to promote reason but Nigel's argument was "Its the most direct route to Edinburgh from the south".
Quite apart from the obvious multiple daftnesses in there, there's a technical detail he's overlooking.

Some web searching suggests the Edinburgh-Carlisle distance was 98 miles compared with 101 via Carstairs.

However that 3-mile advantage looks very similar to the extra distance that would result from the necessary rerouting west of Longtown, as a result of the construction of the A74 (now M6) across the original route near Harker.

JohnR

I pointed out that it was only 1 hr 26 from Carlisle - Edinburgh via Carstairs, and that a route via Hawick could never compete. The train takes an hour to Tweedbank as it is! The variation in distance only tells part of the story, as the route via Carstairs has high linespeeds.

Yes, if the route existed, its use as a diversionary route would be very useful. But it wont pay for such a route to be built (I estimate Hawick-Carlisle would be at least £400m, as I reckon an extension to Hawick is reasonable.

I generally find Nigel Harris to be fairly clued up and sensible, despite what some here might say. So I thought his views were out of character!

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
So the needs of the good residents of Melrose, Galashiels and Hawick to be in contact with the rest of Britain to the south still count for nothing in the minds of the we don't want it set! With the bonus of a diversionary route if it did happen.

No wonder I despair of today's generation of crayon wielders!

Altnabreac

Established Member
So the needs of the good residents of Melrose, Galashiels and Hawick to be in contact with the rest of Britain to the south still count for nothing in the minds of the we don't want it set! With the bonus of a diversionary route if it did happen.

They count for something. But not £500m worth of something because there isn't a daily commuter demand to make the business case work.

InOban

Established Member
Any cost-benefit analysis will show that there are far, far better ways of investing £500 million in the Scottish Railway network

Ginaro

What about the needs of the good residents of Buckhaven, Methil and Leven to be in contact with the rest of Fife? If Hawick to Carlisle goes ahead there will be barely any money left for the many other reopening schemes around the country which will provide greater benefits to locals.

najaB

Veteran Member

JohnR

It would be quicker for them to travel to Edinburgh.

ian1944

I pointed out that it was only 1 hr 26 from Carlisle - Edinburgh via Carstairs ... as the route via Carstairs has high linespeeds.

It would be even less if the slow grind round the east of Carstairs somehow was removed. Apart from the actual time taken (5 mins ?) it just feels so tediously slow.

Altfish

What would be the time difference for (say) Carlisle to Hawick or Galashiels, surely that is a more likely scenario as if you are going to Edinburgh you would use the WCML...unless of course it is a lot cheaper and you are not in a rush.
Currently Carlisle to Galashiels it is just over 2hr 30min; what are we looking at if the Waverley route was completed, 90-minutes?

och aye

What would be the time difference for (say) Carlisle to Hawick or Galashiels, surely that is a more likely scenario as if you are going to Edinburgh you would use the WCML...unless of course it is a lot cheaper and you are not in a rush.
Currently Carlisle to Galashiels it is just over 2hr 30min; what are we looking at if the Waverley route was completed, 90-minutes?
Do we know how many people currently travel between those two towns at the moment?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Other than as a diversionary route it wouldn't be about people travelling from Carlisle to Edinburgh or vice versa any more than Carlisle to Glasgow via the coastal route is about people travelling between Carlisle and Glasgow, or the Cumbrian Coast is about Lancaster to Carlisle. It's about intermediate journeys.

Altfish

Do we know how many people currently travel between those two towns at the moment?
Not a clue, but I do - hardly justifies a case to build it, I know :)
It is a pity that the original line didn't go through Langholm and Selkirk, I suspect it'd be a lot easier to make the case for reopening. As has been said there is not a lot between Hawick and Longtown.

BigCj34

Not a clue, but I do - hardly justifies a case to build it, I know :)
It is a pity that the original line didn't go through Langholm and Selkirk, I suspect it'd be a lot easier to make the case for reopening. As has been said there is not a lot between Hawick and Longtown.

It may not even have closed at all if that was the case!

D1009

Established Member
I generally find Nigel Harris to be fairly clued up and sensible, despite what some here might say. So I thought his views were out of character!
If he had expressed the views expressed on here in the magazine, it would probably have killed any subsequent debate in the magazine. As it is, it will probably fill the letters page with pro and anti views, making the magazine more interesting and therefore popular. The job of an editor extends beyond expressing one's own views.

Status
Not open for further replies.