• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summons for failing to submit a rail ticket??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Good to see that they have given you the benefit of the doubt. Contrary to what you might believe, we don't all pray for blood on here the moment someone makes a mistake. Also just because people did not agree with your interpretation as to where responsibilities lie, it does not mean people are not supportive of your case. One of the main reasons is that many do not want to give you unrealistic hopes. As I said before, the Penalty Fare was correct, but it would have been a harsh one.

Just make sure that you don't make the same mistake again now that you know. I'm sure you won't.

@Via Bank. Sorry I lost track of this thread somewhere down the line. I'm sure discussion on a similar topic will pop up in the future, and we can continue our debate then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Despite my disagreeing with many of your arguments, I too am pleased at the outcome for you, though I hope that the airport will pay a contribution tot he railway company as they are partly responsible in my eyes.

Via Bank

The only party doing this are the operators of the airport, by the name they choose to give to it. It is they who mislead people into suggesting that their airports are in London.

Nonsense!

It is Thameslink who have chosen to accept the Oyster and Contactless PAYG systems for travel.

It is Thameslink who advertise, on their own site, that Oyster and Contactless can be used on their trains for "travel around London." (With no mention of any boundary to validity but we'll leave that to one side)

It is Thameslink who have produced and published a poster, advertising travel to "London" Luton Airport by Thameslink train.

If, as you say, airports are somehow engaged in some massive act of deception, Thameslink must also some responsibility for repeating the "London Luton" lie in their own publicity!

EM2

Established Member
If, as you say, airports are somehow engaged in some massive act of deception, Thameslink must also some responsibility for repeating the "London Luton" lie in their own publicity!
They repeat it because it is the name of the airport!
Grimsby Town do not play in Grimsby. Whose fault is it if a customer gets a train to Grimsby to watch them?
Slough Town do not play in Slough. Whose fault is it if a customer gets a train to Slough to watch them?

sarahj

Established Member
Working a train today, made this announcement before East Croydon:

'Just a reminder that oyster cards, freedom passes and contactless cards are not valid for travel on this service beyond East Croydon unless you hold an onward ticket'.

Walk through train, the one person with an oyster of course had his headphones on. :roll:
£5.20 thank you.

archwaykid

Despite my disagreeing with many of your arguments, I too am pleased at the outcome for you, though I hope that the airport will pay a contribution tot he railway company as they are partly responsible in my eyes.

Thanks a lot mate. I appreciate it.

It did take 4-5 long emails to get them to see my point. They refused to budge at first. But I tried to be articulate and very importantly used the points repeatedly made by 'via bank' on this forum. I really appreciated his support.

To be fair to GTR, they did put this chap Mr. Leigh Owen-Vaz in charge of my case. And whilst he put forward his arguements, he was very polite in our correspondence through out. And obviously this is something I appreciate too. Definitely, far cry from the accusatory stance of the penalty issuers at Gatwick airport. Which I still don't agree.

Anyway, I have received my vouchers. And will use them for my journey to Gatwick. Whenever that is.

Have a good week.

Status
Not open for further replies.