• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summons for failing to submit a rail ticket??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm saying that if the TOCs actually stood to lose the fare if people got the rules wrong, they'd make it a lot clearer. In a good transport system, there shouldn't be a need for people to ask staff about things like this: it's obviously inefficient and often mistakes will be made. Would it not be possible to put up notices saying "Please note Oyster and Contactless Cards are NOT valid for travel to Gatwick Airport"? My question is why they don't, and why they are given an incentive not to inform passengers of the rules.

There will ALWAYS be the need for clarification for some people who may not be familiar with things. If this sort of help is not available, it would be a very passenger-unfriendly system.

As for those notices, does there need to be one for every station not covered by Oyster/Contactless in the South East? Horley? Redhill? Slough? The Windsor stations? Stations in the rest of the country? What about light rail stations?

Some things sound fantastic in your head, but when put to practice, may not be workable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Via Bank

I cannot endorse this strategy. I am not confident at all it will get you anywhere. As I said before, if you have some recommendations for TfL then do it as such, not as a complaint.
I wasn't proposing a complaint to TfL, necessarily. I certainly would put more blame on the Train Operator in this case, since (as I have found) there is very little information to explicitly state that Oyster and Contactless is not valid to Gatwick. However, that TfL advert stating "go contactless, go anywhere" is very definitely misleading, as there are even places within London operated by TfL where you can't use Contactless (on the 15H bus, for instance)!

By your logic because Oxford Airport is now called London Oxford Airport, someone unfamiliar with the system should be allowed to get away with trying to pay with Oyster / Contactless at Oxford. I cannot see reasoning along such lines being successful.
Oxford Airport is nowhere near as busy as Gatwick, and Oxford is (one would hope) internationally known to be outside London as it is a town in its own right, 51 miles away. I have already demonstrated that Oyster is valid to Amersham, which about the same distance away from London as Gatwick.

However, I do believe that, on all trains where Oyster is valid for part of the journey, but not all, this should be advertised extremely clearly both on the CIS and on-board. This does not happen, and it is simply not good enough when Oyster/Contactless has been sold to the customer as a "go anywhere, never bother buying a ticket again" product. (I know this is mainly TfL's doing, but the mainline TOCs have a lot to answer for too, by merrily advertising Contactless availability within the zones without disclaimers about the boundary.)

If you make an incorrect assumption, there are consequences, some being more expensive than others. That's life. You learn from these mistakes and make sure you don't do it again.
Fine, and I absolutely agree that the responsibility for checking they have the right ticket ultimately rests with the passenger (certainly from a legal perspective.) But:

Trying to pin the blame on someone else because your hands are not being held step by step is hardly going to be at all helpful. The overwhelming majority of people do not have a problem with understanding the validity area of Oyster / Contactless, including many who have no knowledge of the system, so I am not convinced by your argument whatsoever.

This is not about one's hand being held: it is about people's expectations being built up by various publicity saying that Contactless/Oyster is "cheaper than paper tickets, and more convenient," to the point where they make a perfectly reasonable assumption based on the information available, and then getting caught out when they find out it is only valid within London, and sometimes a little bit outside London but not all of the time. The caveats need to be clearly and explicitly advertised.

If this were publicity for (e.g.) mortgages, it would be required that the APR is shown, along with a disclaimer that "if you fail to keep up repayments you could have your home repossessed." Why on earth can the advertisements extolling Contactless as the best thing since sliced bread not have a disclaimer, "You cannot use Contactless to travel beyond London Zone 6 on our services. You must buy a ticket if you want to travel further, including to Gatwick or Brighton, or you may have to pay a Penalty Fare"?

At the end of the day, Contactless is not cash, nor is its acceptance universal like regular credit and debit cards, so I am quite surprised that your default position is one of assuming acceptance until else rather than assuming non-acceptance until you find affirmation.
Once again, you and I know that Contactless's acceptance is not universal because we are familiar with the system, and, I would be willing to bet, familiar with the history and the politics behind Oyster and Contactless roll-out.

But how should other people be expected to know this? How should someone who rarely takes public transport, but has seen a poster saying "go contactless, go anywhere" (with no disclaimer and no clear assertions to the contrary) be expected to know this? How should someone who has visited from a foreign country, and while trying to queue for a ticket at Victoria sees the poster saying "Contactless is cheaper" (with no clear assertion that it is not valid beyond Zone 6) be expected to know this?

Bear in mind that many of the general public have difficulty even telling the difference between trains operated by various Train Operating Companies.

----

And the thread goes into another loop.
This is a straw man argument.

No-one was suggesting that someone could turn up in one of the other Londons (none of which, by the way, is accessible from London, England without crossing some body of water) with London transport publicity and expect to be allowed to travel according to the TfL terms and conditions.

I, and others, are suggesting that it needs to be made extremely clear, to customers travelling from London, that if they want to go out of London, including to stations which one might assume ARE in London but are not, they need to buy the correct ticket. Otherwise these people will continue to be caught out.

As I have suggested, this can be done very easily, by doing the following:
  • Displaying notices on the CIS for each train that "the last stop for Oyster/Contactless on this train is [STATION]";
  • Hanging posters inside the train stating clearly that if you intend to travel outside London, you need to buy a paper ticket;
  • Making announcements on the approach to the last station in the Zones that anyone paying by Oyster needs to get out here and buy a ticket to continue their journey;
  • Ensuring that publicity for Oyster and Contactless states clearly that you cannot use it to travel outside London, including to popular destinations that customers might assume is in London, but isn't.

As for stations outside London: you could, for stations close to the boundary, do what South West Trains have done and put clear signs on the barriers, ITSO validators and station platforms, saying "Oyster is not valid here". But even for these, and definitely for stations well outside the former Network SouthEast area, customers who intend to travel from these stations would very quickly realise their mistake, as they wouldn't be able to touch in!

This is not about hand-holding or nanny-stating, it is about TOCs being helpful to people who are, after all, hoping to use their services and pay the correct fare, without committing a Byelaw offence in the process.

najaB

Veteran Member
However, I do believe that, on all trains where Oyster is valid for part of the journey, but not all, this should be advertised extremely clearly both on the CIS and on-board.
I doubt anyone would disagree with this suggestion.

Spurs

And the thread goes into another loop.

There will ALWAYS be the need for clarification for some people who may not be familiar with things. If this sort of help is not available, it would be a very passenger-unfriendly system.

As for those notices, does there need to be one for every station not covered by Oyster/Contactless in the South East? Horley? Redhill? Slough? The Windsor stations? Stations in the rest of the country? What about light rail stations?

Some things sound fantastic in your head, but when put to practice, may not be workable.

I believe it should be done purely by the market, if you will. Make it so that TOCs actually make a small loss when issuing penalty fares on a route compared to if passengers were to buy the correct ticket. I'm sure you'll find that they will then put effort into publicising where these payment methods cannot be used in circumstances where there's large amounts of confusion, which I would hazard a guess would include "London" Stansted Airport but not most of these other places.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying that the railways deliberately mislead passengers. But they are clearly incentivised to do so here - that is morally wrong and means they have very little reason to improve their service to people who are genuinely attempting to pay the correct fare.

EM2

Established Member
I believe it should be done purely by the market, if you will. Make it so that TOCs actually make a small loss when issuing penalty fares on a route compared to if passengers were to buy the correct ticket.
So what would be the incentive to buy the correct ticket for any journey? Nobody would, because a PF would mean they pay less!

DeeGee

EM2:2136087 said:
I believe it should be done purely by the market, if you will. Make it so that TOCs actually make a small loss when issuing penalty fares on a route compared to if passengers were to buy the correct ticket.
So what would be the incentive to buy the correct ticket for any journey? Nobody would, because a PF would mean they pay less!

The 'loss' could come by making the TOC pay some kind of levy on the PF, that goes into a central pot to be spent on the railway. Maybe the TOCs could bid for funding from this pot for improved advertising about ticket validity, or perhaps it could be spent on a nationwide ITSO or contactless roll-out?

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member

The 'loss' could come by making the TOC pay some kind of levy on the PF, that goes into a central pot to be spent on the railway. Maybe the TOCs could bid for funding from this pot for improved advertising about ticket validity, or perhaps it could be spent on a nationwide ITSO or contactless roll-out?

It doesn't matter whether such a levy is paid or the loss is made on the penalty fare or whatever, the point EM2 makes still stands.

rs101

Surely the TOCs should be aiming to ensure that as few penalty fares are issued as possible? If there's consistently s high number issued at a location, doesn't that point to a problem somewhere in their operation - either confusing/misleading/poor information, a problem with ticket purchasing at the start of journeys or similar?

Personally, I do check to see if a destination is in the Oyster zone, but would also expect the TFL journey planner to highlight the fact that a particular journey isn't.

najaB

Veteran Member
Personally, I do check to see if a destination is in the Oyster zone, but would also expect the TFL journey planner to highlight the fact that a particular journey isn't.
You mean like this?

Attachments

• tfl.JPG
    tfl.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 46

rs101

You mean like this?

Not that clear on the mobile version of TFL's site
You have to click through to journey details then expand 'Accessibility and station formation'. Don't see why its not clearly displayed with the list of results.
If it must be hidden behind a link a better title would be 'Fare Information' or similar. The current link is the last place I'd look for oyster acceptability.

Via Bank

Not that clear on the mobile version of TFL's site
You have to click through to journey details then expand 'Accessibility and station formation'. Don't see why its not clearly displayed with the list of results.
If it must be hidden behind a link a better title would be 'Fare Information' or similar. The current link is the last place I'd look for oyster acceptability.

Quite. And as for Thameslink, their only explicit statement that you can't use Oyster there is buried two clicks deep from their page from Gatwick: you have to click "more information" and then expand the "ticket facilities" section. Even then it is ambiguous: "Oyster PrePay: No" could simply mean PAYG topup facilities aren't available at the ticket windows.

No mention at all is made, on the TfL or Thameslink sites, of Contactless's (non-)validity.

najaB

Veteran Member
I see where you're coming from, it could be made clearer - not just for Gatwick but for any journey that starts or ends outside the zones.

archwaykid

All I can say to the OP is never ever fly Ryan Air to Frankfurt (hahn). You will get a nasty surprise.

:D

No I don't fly with rubbish airlines. Ryanair, if I may, are the GTR of the aviation industry.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, but nobody flies internationally from Redhill, The Windsor stations and all mentioned. Gatwick is as equally known as Heathrow and the victims are innocent international travellers and Londoners.
But if you want to bring those stations into the argument then sure, why not?

And, in the case of Gatwick airport at least, to install a disclaimer banner when one does a search for Gatwick airport (both on the TFL and the GTR websites) isn't much to do really. If one can do this on an Excel spread, surely one can do this on the Java program (if I'm correct) that their website is built on.

As I said earlier, the fact that they have 4 ticket inspectors issuing penalties of £100 in 20 minutes is testament to the fact that GTR do not want to do anything about it. No customer obligation at all, because no one has pulled them aside. Until of course, at some point in the future someone does. Just like with the PPI with the Banks.
They had warnings in their T&C's too but people have made successful claims. And I am saving my receipt.

I think you made a very good point made with the suggestion that perhaps London Gatwick airport authority is to blame? Noted. But then again, where does this stop? Major airlines too see Gatwick as London Gatwick and not Sussex Gatwick.
I see where you're coming from, it could be made clearer - not just for Gatwick but for any journey that starts or ends outside the zones.

Well, that's what I was asking for.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
The question was, did they consider themselves living in London, not what their train situation was.
I repeat, they do not consider they live in London!
And having spoken to my brother in law who lives in Warlingham, neither does he.
They all say they live in SURREY!!

Caterham and Warlingham ARE in Surrey. Yet Oystercards are valid. Croydon is in London, people think it is in Surrey, and Oystercards are valid. People do not understand the definition of London, and Oystercards/contactless do not stick to the offical boundary of London, so it is no wonder that people do not understand. Bromley is also in London, but people think it is in Kent - people think Harrow is in Middlesex, but Middlesex hasn't existed since 1965! So, what is London, and why are Oystercards valid outside London to Caterham, Tattenham Corner, Epsom Downs, etc, on non-TfL services? Surely logic dictates that Oystercards would be valid to a location that calls itself London Gatwick Airport too?

Spurs

No - my proposal is that the PF would remain at the current rate, £20 or double the anytime single fare. But there would be a substantial levy on this, calculated based on how much revenue on the specific route was lost to fare evasion compared to PF revenue, that the TOC would have to pass on the the DOT. The incentive for passengers to buy the correct ticket remains as at current, but an incentive is introduced also for the TOC to help ensure as many as possible do so.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
This is the only part of this argument where I have a little (and only a little) sympathy for the OP and their supporters: If you enter a journey search on TfL that starts or ends outside their operating area then it would be helpful to have a warning saying just that. Not a lengthy list of valid or invalid stations, just a warning to check validity of your paper/Oyster/contactless ticket before travelling.

I think that this is one of the areas that could be improved upon. Not necessarily a warning that contactless or Oyster won't be valid, as not everyone will be trying to use those methods of payment, but a more general mention that the destination (or origin) is outside the London zonal fares system, with a link for further information.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
No - my proposal is that the PF would remain at the current rate, £20 or double the anytime single fare. But there would be a substantial levy on this, calculated based on how much revenue on the specific route was lost to fare evasion compared to PF revenue, that the TOC would have to pass on the the DOT. The incentive for passengers to buy the correct ticket remains as at current, but an incentive is introduced also for the TOC to help ensure as many as possible do so.

What would happen then is that the TOC would instruct their RPIs not to issue PFs and instead take details. A letter would threaten court (a dead cert byelaw prosecution) and then offer an out of court settlement. This would cost the passenger more money, but would then count as fare evasion in the eyes of the TOC and therefore they keep the money.

In other words it would be no incentive the TOC at all.

The Greater London Built up area is not Greater London. It is an area define for use in statistics, not drawn by county boundaries.

No one in their right mind would say Guildford was part of Greater London.

Greater London is effectively a county, which is made up of the London Boroughs and the City,.

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
Punter on a train tonight trying to get to Brighton on an Oyster card. The appropriate fare was charged. On discussion with the punter, a male who seemed well dressed and up on things claimed no knowledge about the lack of validity outside London. You do of course wonder if this was not his first time and if not challenged would have left the network at an unbarred station???

RJ

Established Member
Punter on a train tonight trying to get to Brighton on an Oyster card. The appropriate fare was charged. On discussion with the punter, a male who seemed well dressed and up on things claimed no knowledge about the lack of validity outside London. You do of course wonder if this was not his first time and if not challenged would have left the network at an unbarred station???

Probably not the first time. That said, I've seen numerous passengers who've spotted the handheld smartcard readers carried down your way and ask if Oyster is valid in the area on that basis!

Via Bank

Not directly relevant to this specific topic concerning Gatwick, but I spotted this poster at Blackfriars today…

http://i.imgur.com/PBX2P1k.jpg

No mention at all of fares, but there is certainly form for TOCs advertising the airports by their names including the "London" on the front. (SWT's interchange announcements do say "change here for London Gatwick Airport," too.)

One could also point to the fact the PA system at East Croydon announces northbound trains via the core as calling at "London City Thameslink." Inside London it is, and valid for London ticketing methods and payment modes, maybe, but you can't use a London Terminals ticket there… or can you? Maybe the rules changed recently.

Either way this is not good. There is little consistency from the TOCs on what is and what isn't in London. And I have already demonstrated that trying to find information on whether and where Oyster/Contactless has a validity boundary on GTR's site is appalling.

I do believe that there should be incentives for TOCs to ensure customers are not caught out but I struggle to see how this could be done. One could change the PF rules and say that insufficiently clear and present data about ticket validity is a valid grounds for appeal, and impose hefty fines on TOCs if passengers are demonstrably being caught out. But I'd bet so few PFs so issued would be challenged and overturned that it would have little effect.

DeeGee

And that poster just requires the sentence "Oyster and Contactless payment are not valid to Luton Airport Parkway" somewhere towards the bottom in that huge brown space currently doing nothing, and all will be good.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
The best way forward would be to integrate the TfL and NR systems, replace Oyster with an ITSO system and allow contactless on NR. However. That would require a serious amount of money spent by ATOC and TfL. So I don't see it happening for a long time yet.

In the meantime a warning on posters reminding passengers that Oyster and Contactless are not valid beyond the TfL zones and that passengers should check before they travel would be an acceptable solution along with a warning on the CIS that Oyster and Contactless are not valid on this train beyond <station> can be done cheaply.

archwaykid

Hi all,
This is a msg I received from their customer services department today. On receipt of the vouchers, I will consider this matter closed.

Hi

I understand that you paid £60.20 through our prosecutions team

I would be happy to offer you the difference between the fare you and your wife should have paid and this amount,. Again, this is a goodwill gesture and will be in the form of travel vouchers. The team will process the vouchers shortly and they should be with you early next week.

Kind regards

I would consider THIS a result. Thank you all of those who supported my cause. I appreciate your time and efforts and your private messages of support and advice.

Best,
Archway Kid

EM2

Established Member
Not directly relevant to this specific topic concerning Gatwick, but I spotted this poster at Blackfriars today…

http://i.imgur.com/PBX2P1k.jpg

No mention at all of fares, but there is certainly form for TOCs advertising the airports by their names including the "London" on the front.

It asks about flying from London Luton, because that is the name of the airport. What does it show as the name of the station, and how to get from there to the airport? You will notice that it is very specific on those points.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The Greater London Built up area is not Greater London. It is an area define for use in statistics, not drawn by county boundaries.

No one in their right mind would say Guildford was part of Greater London.

Greater London is effectively a county, which is made up of the London Boroughs and the City,.

You didn't mention county boundaries - and there's plenty of people in the London boroughs who would describe themselves as living in Middlesex or Kent.

Obviously for some senses people would describe Guildford as part of Greater London or there'd be no point having the area used in statistics - unless you're suggesting statisticians are not in their right mind?

As I said - it depends who you ask.

Via Bank

Hi all,
This is a msg I received from their customer services department today. On receipt of the vouchers, I will consider this matter closed.

Hi

I understand that you paid £60.20 through our prosecutions team

I would be happy to offer you the difference between the fare you and your wife should have paid and this amount,. Again, this is a goodwill gesture and will be in the form of travel vouchers. The team will process the vouchers shortly and they should be with you early next week.

Kind regards

I would consider THIS a result. Thank you all of those who supported my cause. I appreciate your time and efforts and your private messages of support and advice.

Best,
Archway Kid

This is very good news. Well done!

A word of advice: the Rail Travel Vouchers you will receive have a time limit (usually twelve months) on them, so use them! :)

I hope this experience hasn't put you off using the train again. The majority of journeys pass without incident and are significantly more pleasant.

It asks about flying from London Luton, because that is the name of the airport. What does it show as the name of the station, and how to get from there to the airport? You will notice that it is very specific on those points.

So to get to "London" Luton Airport, from London, you need to get to "not-London" Luton Airport Parkway and then take a bus to "London" Luton Airport, and there's no way that could be at all confusing to an inexperienced passenger or lead them to believe that Luton Airport Parkway is accessible on a London payment method.

I am sorry, but this is obfuscation, plain and simple. This poster suggests that Luton Airport is in London. There is no evidence on the poster to suggest that Luton Airport Parkway is not in London. The only evidence on the whole station is the "journey planner" poster, which is very difficult to find, and the message on the CIS which is only shown if there are no engineering works that weekend. To find evidence that London payment methods are not valid to Luton requires digging a fair bit on Thameslink's own site, which again assumes you know your way around their site, and where to look to find this information.

Even Thameslink's own pages on Oyster and Contactless fares makes no mention of any boundary to validity on Thameslink's services.

Oh, and what's this?

Thameslink's own blurb said:
It’s easy for you to travel around London on Thameslink and Great Northern, National Rail and Transport for London (TfL) services with your Oyster card, without the hassle of buying a ticket everytime.

From 16 September you will also be able to use your contactless payment card on the bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in London.

If you have been led to believe, after seeing that poster, that Luton Airport is in London, how could you plausibly suspect (without prior knowledge) that London payment methods are not valid there? (You can point to the little dodger saying "Luton Airport Parkway" all you like, but there are plenty of stations within London, without London at the front of their name, to which London payment methods are valid.)

EM2

Established Member
I am sorry, but this is obfuscation, plain and simple. This poster suggests that Luton Airport is in London.
The only party doing this are the operators of the airport, by the name they choose to give to it. It is they who mislead people into suggesting that their airports are in London.

fowler9

Established Member
The only party doing this are the operators of the airport, by the name they choose to give to it. It is they who mislead people into suggesting that their airports are in London.

That is spot on. It is in no way the train operators fault that both airlines and airport operators choose to lie about where the airport is. Frankfurt Hahn, Krakow Katowice, Brussels South etc. The railways could do a great service by warning people that the airport they are going to is nowhere near the city that the airport or airline sticks by the name of the destination. It isn't their job to though.

Status
Not open for further replies.