• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarket Self Service Tills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There is an increasing to trend for dividend payments to be made by bank credit. In fact one of the companies I hold shares in (a major FTSE 100 company) only issues dividends by bank credit.
My wife inherited some shares from her late father, all in well-known companies, and hasn't cashed any in, and every single one that pays a dividend does so by cheque. Only once had an issue (recently as it happens) when delays in the post meant a cheque didn't arrive, the problem being to get a replacement cheque issued, not that the original could be used by a criminal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Just need to contact the registrars of the relevant companies, ask for a dividend mandate form, and after returning same, duly completed, future dividends can then be paid directly into a chosen bank account.

P.S. We seem to have drifted somewhat off topic from the subject of 'Supermarket Self Service Tills', unless, perhaps, the share dividend is from the likes of Tesco plc or J. Sainsbury plc. ;)

Typhoon

Established Member
My wife inherited some shares from her late father, all in well-known companies, and hasn't cashed any in, and every single one that pays a dividend does so by cheque. Only once had an issue (recently as it happens) when delays in the post meant a cheque didn't arrive, the problem being to get a replacement cheque issued, not that the original could be used by a criminal.
I must admit I am surprised by this. I have shares mainly in banks (because I was a member of building societies which converted to banks). I regard the dividend as a bonus so pay it in to a savings account (which changes fairly regularly so I don't want the faff of having to notify the payee of changes) so I want it paid by cheque. I am bombarded with bank mandate forms for everyone of them.

P.S. We seem to have drifted somewhat off topic from the subject of 'Supermarket Self Service Tills', unless, perhaps, the share dividend is from the likes of Tesco plc or J. Sainsbury plc. ;)
Note taken, I'll shut up!

trainophile

Established Member
Had a shock at the self-service checkouts in Morrisons today - picked up a normal, nothing fancy, not insulated or anything, plastic carrier bag, scanned it and up came 60p! Talk about taking the mickey. While I was putting my shopping through I saw not just one but two other shoppers nearby call the assistant over to take the carrier bag off their shopping bill and have it back, as it was too expensive. Had I been quicker off the mark and not so "shopping addled" I would have done the same, I usually have a fairly tatty old one in the depths of my pockets anyway.

If you wish to avoid the same fate, it's the one with a tractor on it and some blurb about farmers.

gswindale

I thought Morrisons were doing away with the plastic bags and replacing them with supposedly tougher and tear resistant paper bags?

We're going slightly off topic but I understand most "bags for life" only get used a few times.

The only issue I had was pre Covid when trying to buy up a stock of the good strong Sainsbury's bags, when the self service checkout threw a wobbly because I wanted more than 5.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Frankly anyone buying new carrier bags every time they do their shopping deserves whatever massive charges come with it. That's just lazy and unsustainable.

(I understand sometimes you need to pick up a few things and you're caught out without a bag, but that's a tiny minority of cases. Even the cheap flimsy ones that most of the chains don't offer any more can be reused a few times.)

trainophile

Established Member
Frankly anyone buying new carrier bags every time they do their shopping deserves whatever massive charges come with it. That's just lazy and unsustainable.

(I understand sometimes you need to pick up a few things and you're caught out without a bag, but that's a tiny minority of cases. Even the cheap flimsy ones that most of the chains don't offer any more can be reused a few times.)
I agree and am not usually caught out, but on this occasion I had put on a coat that had just been laundered since getting caught in heavy rain, and had forgotten to put my usual large strong Tesco bag back in the pocket. Also bought more than intended, including a 4-pint of milk!

Typhoon

Established Member
More than a few times - I’m still using a few and it’s been, what, 6 years since they sold them?
I'm glad its not just me. I've got 2 Morrisons and 1 Iceland bag packed for today's shopping. All look in good nick.

One reason I use the self-service tills is that I can scan the items in the order in which I want to pack them, and am not pressured by the speed in which the checkout operator scans into just chucking the items in the bag. If you keep items with sharp edges away from the plastic of the bag and don't overload them, they last years.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I agree and am not usually caught out, but on this occasion I had put on a coat that had just been laundered since getting caught in heavy rain, and had forgotten to put my usual large strong Tesco bag back in the pocket. Also bought more than intended, including a 4-pint of milk!
Indeed, such situations can arise - it wasn't intended as a direct attack on you, but rather a generalised statement about how many people I still see buying new bags at the checkout...

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'm glad its not just me. I've got 2 Morrisons and 1 Iceland bag packed for today's shopping. All look in good nick.

One reason I use the self-service tills is that I can scan the items in the order in which I want to pack them, and am not pressured by the speed in which the checkout operator scans into just chucking the items in the bag. If you keep items with sharp edges away from the plastic of the bag and don't overload them, they last years.
+1

I think most of them are 'bags for life' and will be replaced free of charge if damaged. I've yet to try going into a supermarket with a knackered competitor's bag for life and asking for a freebie <(:D

Typhoon

Established Member
Indeed, such situations can arise - it wasn't intended as a direct attack on you, but rather a generalised statement about how many people I still see buying new bags at the checkout...
From your first post (quoted above) I thought that you were referring to those who were never prepared rather than the one offs. The people that annoy me are those who buy a couple of packs of sandwiches and a drink, buy a bag to put them in, eat the items in the car park, put the detritus in the carrier and dump it (not always in a bin).

+1

I think most of them are 'bags for life' and will be replaced free of charge if damaged. I've yet to try going into a supermarket with a knackered competitor's bag for life and asking for a freebie <(:D
Thanks for that but I'm afraid not. There are the so called single use bags. I suppose I ought to mark them each time I use them to see how much use I get out of them.

I've got a few 'bags for life', at the current rate I'll be using them in the after-life, I wonder whether the replacement guarantee applies there?

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
From your first post (quoted above) I thought that you were referring to those who were never prepared rather than the one offs.
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry if I've confused anyone.

The people that annoy me are those who buy a couple of packs of sandwiches and a drink, buy a bag to put them in, eat the items in the car park, put the detritus in the carrier and dump it (not always in a bin).
Yes that's infuriating too.
I don't understand why anyone wants to eat in a carpark anyway. Especially considering many supermarkets have a proper cafe area with reasonably priced sandwiches.

gg1

Established Member
I don't understand why anyone wants to eat in a carpark anyway. Especially considering many supermarkets have a proper cafe area with reasonably priced sandwiches

I often do when travelling alone simply because I always feel slightly uneasy about eating on my own in a cafe/restaurant where most customers will be in couples/groups.

Belted self service tills have been superseded by scan and go. Much, much quicker. Scan as you go round the shop and pack your bags as you go.
Definitely wasn't quicker the first time I tried using scan and go.

Big fortnightly shop at Tesco, trolley full of at least 10 bags. After I'd paid a member of staff did did a check which consisted of checking 2-3 items from EVERY bag (and no I'm not exaggerating) to ensure they'd been paid for, and to be extra annoying, rather than just take a couple of items from the top of each bag they rummaged through to pick items further down, then (badly) repacked the bags afterwards.

Oddly enough the first time was also the last time.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
The people that annoy me are those who buy a couple of packs of sandwiches and a drink, buy a bag to put them in, eat the items in the car park, put the detritus in the carrier and dump it (not always in a bin).
I've seen that near me, a brand new, (relatively) expensive, heavy duty carrier bag, with a few empty wrappings in it, dumped in a roadside litter bin after (presumably) a single use. It does seem ridiculously wasteful, although at least it's better than chucking the wrappings down at the roadside or on country paths. And if the bag is clean and undamaged, I'm not above emptying it and recovering it for my use.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I thought Morrisons were doing away with the plastic bags and replacing them with supposedly tougher and tear resistant paper bags?

We're going slightly off topic but I understand most "bags for life" only get used a few times.

The only issue I had was pre Covid when trying to buy up a stock of the good strong Sainsbury's bags, when the self service checkout threw a wobbly because I wanted more than 5.
I bought a Morrisons paper carrier bag - carried it out of the store to nearby car and it got soaked in a passing squall. When I got home and opened boot of car to get the carrier out, I realised the bottom of the carrier bag was about to collapse, taking my bottle of wine with it. Transferred contents of carrier bag to a small box I had in car and put carrier bag into paper recycling! Will never buy another one.

DavidGrain

Established Member
When Safeways first set up in the UK they had what they called 'Tree Saver Bags' which I presume were made from recycled paper. They did not have handles so unless you used your trolley, you would have difficulty carrying them. I presume these were American style which they had brought to the UK. But they soon went to plastic bags probably becasue many people in my area went shopping on the bus. Personally I never pack at the till but put all my shopping in the trolley and pack into bags at the boot of my car.

Gloster

Established Member
I see it every day in my local Tesco Express. I am not nosy, but I have seen people buying a bag for their shopping and a day or two later buying another one. A lot of people just seem to grab a bag without thinking and rarely bother make the minimal amount of preparation needed to take a bag to the shop or keep one in their car. I have been wondering just how much plastic is saved compared to the pre-2015 freebies as the present ones seem to be larger and also made of thicker plastic. Do they biodegrade at the same rate?

I have not bought a single bag since the charge was introduced: I have a Fjällräven bag that normally suffices. On a couple of occasions when I have bought something too big for the Fjällräven bag I took one of a couple of large bags given away by Tesco just before the charge was introduced.

trainophile

Established Member
When Safeways first set up in the UK they had what they called 'Tree Saver Bags' which I presume were made from recycled paper. They did not have handles so unless you used your trolley, you would have difficulty carrying them. I presume these were American style which they had brought to the UK. But they soon went to plastic bags probably becasue many people in my area went shopping on the bus. Personally I never pack at the till but put all my shopping in the trolley and pack into bags at the boot of my car.
I'm a shopper by bus, and the walk from the bus stop to home is about a quarter of a mile uphill, hence I need sturdy bags.

Excelled myself today though, took a large carrier bag and a nylon *pack-away bag not knowing what I was going to buy, ended up (or should I say started off and ended up in TK Maxx where I spotted a pair of pillows that looked good value, so I had to buy one of their super large strong bags for £1.29 to get them home. At least those are useful for storage in the loft and can be re-used many times.

*Love this website, or it might be Safari - anyway it kept insisting on changing pack-away to Parkway! It knows me too well.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Invariably use these type extra-large Aldi long life bags when out shopping.

Usually able to fit most of my shopping in them and the bags last for ages.

Although only used occasionally in Aldi, as it happens.

aldi-bags-v2.jpg

P.S. A separate one is also handy for putting my walking boots / wellies in. ;)

trainophile

Established Member
Yes I do like those strong crinkly ones. Don't mind paying for those, in fact I often have to buy one for coming back from my mini breaks when I've bought more than will fit in my luggage.

Back to self-service tills... I prefer them because I can take as long as I need to, rather than in a queue for a normal check-out when you're aware of someone getting impatient behind. I'm not one of those who fumbles around for ages looking for purse/coupons/loyalty card etc. but it is impossible to load the conveyor at one end while packing your scanned purchases at the other.

Typhoon

Established Member
Had a shock at the self-service checkouts in Morrisons today - picked up a normal, nothing fancy, not insulated or anything, plastic carrier bag, scanned it and up came 60p!
Saw them in Morrisons today, no indication of price on them either the tractor or paper versions at the self service.

A couple of weeks ago there was a chap on the bus, on holiday with his family (quite a few kids), he was telling us that he had been food shopping in Morrisons, the only bags they had cost over a quid each, he needed a few so that would have made an indent into his holiday budget. I refrained from telling him that next door to the supermarket there is a large 'sell just about everything' shop that would probably sell him three large garishly coloured plastic bags for a quid. Most supermarkets make a lot about how the profit goes to charity, well that is after HMG have taken their 20% (Carrier Bag Charging in the UK - Morrisons Corporate (morrisons-corporate.com)).

Like you, I use public transport so
I bought a Morrisons paper carrier bag - carried it out of the store to nearby car and it got soaked in a passing squall. When I got home and opened boot of car to get the carrier out, I realised the bottom of the carrier bag was about to collapse, taking my bottle of wine with it. Transferred contents of carrier bag to a small box I had in car and put carrier bag into paper recycling! Will never buy another one.
resonates with me. I bought a couple of frozen items today and the bottom of the (much used) single use plastic bag was wet. If you use the bus you cannot afford to have the bottom of the bag disintegrate, (in my case, depending on the supermarket I may have a 30 minute walk home).
When Safeways first set up in the UK they had what they called 'Tree Saver Bags' which I presume were made from recycled paper. They did not have handles so unless you used your trolley, you would have difficulty carrying them. I presume these were American style which they had brought to the UK.
I remember them well, there was one not too far from where I used to live. Tree Saver Bags - pretty useless, unless you drove and this particular Safeway had a pretty small car park! I think I used to put, say, meat in one bag then put it inside a plastic bag (Sainsburys did really strong ones at the time).

A couple of teens left a bag behind a 'Bag for Life' at a self service checkout today, I tried to get their attention but before I succeeded someone had snaffled it up. Curses!

An annoying feature of some self service is I have found that I have needed to check the change given by the machine, a coin has sometimes got trapped inside or the machine has run out of a particular coin type. Never had an argument but I've had to wait until they find someone with a key. The 'run out of a coin type' was the pound coin and instead of giving me stacks of 50ps, all that happened was a message flashed on the screen. The time I saved through using self service was lost.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Big fortnightly shop at Tesco, trolley full of at least 10 bags. After I'd paid a member of staff did did a check which consisted of checking 2-3 items from EVERY bag (and no I'm not exaggerating) to ensure they'd been paid for, and to be extra annoying, rather than just take a couple of items from the top of each bag they rummaged through to pick items further down, then (badly) repacked the bags afterwards.
Random checks are done with scan and go but that won’t happen every time. The more accurate you are the less likely you are to be checked.

Scanning a couple of items from the top of a bag isn’t really a way of checking the scanning accuracy. If I was doing a random re-scan I’d want to see what was at the bottom of the bag.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
An annoying feature of some self service is I have found that I have needed to check the change given by the machine, a coin has sometimes got trapped inside or the machine has run out of a particular coin type. Never had an argument but I've had to wait until they find someone with a key. The 'run out of a coin type' was the pound coin and instead of giving me stacks of 50ps, all that happened was a message flashed on the screen. The time I saved through using self service was lost.

Change? Leaving aside the point that “does anyone still use cash”, all of the self service tills in the local shops I use (Tesco, M&S) are card only - I thought most were swapping to this now?

gg1

Established Member
Random checks are done with scan and go but that won’t happen every time.

Scanning a couple of items from the top of a bag isn’t really a way of checking the scanning accuracy. If I was doing a random re-scan I’d want to see what was at the bottom of the bag.

I understand and accept the need for random checks but checking 20-30 items is ridiculous.

The more accurate you are the less likely you are to be checked.
I don't see how as the only way staff have of knowing how accurate you are is after they've already checked your trolley. The checker didn't scan my clubcard so a successful check wouldn't have been logged that way.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Change? Leaving aside the point that “does anyone still use cash”, all of the self service tills in the local shops I use (Tesco, M&S) are card only - I thought most were swapping to this now?
Just as likely to flash 'cash only' on the machines round here, but then we never got a coffee shop until well after the turn of the century. :)

Typhoon

Established Member
All my local Morrisons self service tills take cash, as do most of the Tesco and Sainsburys. Asda - about 50:50 but I sometimes have to queue but card - straight in so there must be more cash users. Can't remember Co-op, only go in there once a year but it was cash last time I went in because I don't use card for small amounts. M&S - its been years (pre-pandemic) but last time I went in, I used cash. I went in one shop today that I would be surprised if they took cards, old fashioned shop, the assistant (probably co-owner) was welcoming and said 'please' and 'thank you' and sounded like she meant it.
Still, most of us are old fogeys round my neck of the woods.

CrispyUK

I don't see how as the only way staff have of knowing how accurate you are is after they've already checked your trolley. The checker didn't scan my clubcard so a successful check wouldn't have been logged that way.
You scan your Clubcard to release a scanner at the start of your shop in Tesco so it’s linked to you that way. The system will have identified you as a first time user hence a fairly thorough check. When I started using it several years ago I got checks on my first 3 or so shops with no errors found, now usually left to my own devices apart from the odd random spot check.

I’ve found staff more often than not grab easy to scan items from the top of the bags, but they should really be scanning some items from the bottom of your bags to be thorough.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I understand and accept the need for random checks but checking 20-30 items is ridiculous.
I can’t go into too much detail but I can assure you that a significant number of customers using scan and go to checkout are found to have errors in their trolley.

The checker doesn’t need to scan your Clubcard to k ow who you are. You’ll have scanned your Clubcard at the start of the transaction, the member of staff doing the random check will scan a QR code when they start the random check which identifies your specific transaction.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Going back to the earlier point about change, that's one of my biggest grievances with self-service machines. The choice of coins can be very random at times. The best example was getting £1.50 once - got a £1 coin all fine and well but then came a 20p, 10p, 2x5p and 5x2p!

Status
Not open for further replies.