• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarket Self Service Tills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoon

Established Member
I meant Bank of England notes (or RBS/Ulster Bank, for that matter).
Yes. I regularly put a £20 note in to get a £5 or £10 change that I can use in places like markets or in the annoying shops where they try to get you to buy 'offers' aka tat you don't want - I find if I give the shop assistant something like the right money they don't even bother trying to sell you stuff and I am out of the door, if you give them a larger note they seem to feel they are in with a chance, card definitely in with a chance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
My local B&Q used to have some of these tills, but got rid of them not long ago and replaced them with more staffed checkouts.
If they replace them like they did with ours I’d recommend giving them a go. I genuinely enjoyed how efficient they were—I kept checking the receipt after I’d left as it was so quick I felt as though I’d not paid!

gswindale

You can also easily keep track of how much you're spending, without the need for mental arithmetic. And it's easier to spot items where the price being charged is more than the price on the ticket.
I take it there is an option on the self-scan devices to return an item if you change your mind?

Can't say I've ever used the self-scan - when I go in, my needs are met perfectly by the automated check-outs - I can't see how for a sarnie, a bottle of coke and a packet of crisps that the self scan would be much quicker (and certainly queuing for the manned checkouts was always slower the last time I did so!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I take it there is an option on the self-scan devices to return an item if you change your mind?

Yes, you can take stuff off.

Can't say I've ever used the self-scan - when I go in, my needs are met perfectly by the automated check-outs - I can't see how for a sarnie, a bottle of coke and a packet of crisps that the self scan would be much quicker (and certainly queuing for the manned checkouts was always slower the last time I did so!)

It's more aimed at a big shop.

najaB

Veteran Member
You're correct that for a handful of items the self-service checkouts are the way to go, but for a full trolley-full scan as you shop is hard to beat. The only risk is that, until you get into the habit of it, you might find that you can't remember if you've scanned everything or just absent-mindedly dropped something into the trolley. I did have to scroll through the list the first couple of times just to make sure.

At Tesco (and I assume the others) the first few times you use it you'll get an "attendant check" where they have to scan three or four items chosen randomly to make sure that everything is there, I've not had one for a while now.

skyhigh

Established Member
SmartShop is I find a bit cack-handed, e.g. if it crashes you have to rescan everything rather than them having the sense to record it in a database rather than on the phone. So I'm not enthused to use it, and the requirement to do so in order to get discounts is fairly riling to the point I may stop shopping there.

On the other hand if they fix the reliability issues on the app and allow me to pay through the app using Apple Pay and I won't object. It is fairly handy going round with bags in the trolley and putting stuff into the right one.
SmartShop has gone wrong once for me - they had to rescan everything but opened a manned till to do it for me with no queue and gave me a £5 discount as a result for the inconvenience. I will always use SmartShop now (or Asda's equivalent) and avoid shopping at Morrisons simply because they don't offer it and the queues for any form of checkout in my two local stores are always massive.

DelayRepay

Established Member

In my local Sainsburys, they have a bank of checkouts that are only for customers who've used self-scan. Then another bank of self-service checkouts, then finally a small number of manned checkouts. You can avoid queues by using the app, because those specific checkouts rarely have queues (and if they do, they move really quickly as people just have to scan their phone then pay).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In my local Sainsburys, they have a bank of checkouts that are only for customers who've used self-scan. Then another bank of self-service checkouts, then finally a small number of manned checkouts. You can avoid queues by using the app, because those specific checkouts rarely have queues (and if they do, they move really quickly as people just have to scan their phone then pay).

It may well depend on the staff as to how well it is handled. It seems, from my observation, that my local Sainsbury's is involved in some sort of inclusivity project to employ people with mental disabilities on the tills, but some of them unfortunately have no idea how to deal with anything out of the norm and don't seem to have been trained when to call for a manager (in this case it should be for anything not following the standard process). I love the idea of doing that as work provides a feeling of worth to people even if it's basic work, but I don't think it's being done well, and it does affect customer service somewhat.

As one example, one of them kicked off an argument with me about whether I could swap a reusable bag I was buying because it had a bit of a thread pull which I thought might affect its longevity and wanted me to pay for it then take to customer services to swap it rather than just give it to them and grab another from the end of that till, which is plainly silly, and I was utterly gobsmacked they didn't want me to just swap it as that's what has happened in every other case in my whole life when I've found a damaged item at the till - indeed normally a "runner" is called over to swap it for me. It struck me that the manager should have been called immediately there was a dispute they were unable to handle amicably, and they weren't. So great project, not well run, and very much makes me want to actively choose the self-scan, unfortunately, as the whole thing was quite embarrassing and shows a failure of the system.

(I suspect the person concerned had some form of autism, and was interpreting "you can swap bags for life at the customer service desk if they're worn out" as a strict rule that you had to do it that way once it had been scanned, which is a training error, really)

Last edited:

johncrossley

Established Member
At Tesco (and I assume the others) the first few times you use it you'll get an "attendant check" where they have to scan three or four items chosen randomly to make sure that everything is there, I've not had one for a while now.

That's the main reason why I stopped using that facility. I got fed up of having my items scanned, and if that happens, there is a risk I have absent-mindedly failed to scan an item, meaning a criminal record.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's the main reason why I stopped using that facility. I got fed up of having my items scanned, and if that happens, there is a risk I have absent-mindedly failed to scan an item, meaning a criminal record.

As Sainsbury's aren't the railway, I very much suspect they wouldn't be prosecuting for random one-off omissions, but would simply ask you to pay for it and increase the number of checks on you for a bit, and if it happened too often simply ban you from using the facility.

Generally speaking supermarkets, unlike the railway, understand customer services and the difference between grabbing something off the shelf and walking straight out with it (which can't be done by accident and is analogous to e.g. jumping a gateline without even going near the TVM or booking office) and accidentally not scanning one low-cost item when you've bought 120 quid's worth which is very likely to be an accident unless it happens repeatedly.

One thing I do wonder is if those who don't have the mental capacity to deal with self-scan, e.g. due to a disability like Alzheimer's, could challenge the fact that many offers are only available that way under equality law.

najaB

Veteran Member
Unless the item you forgot to scan was a 55-inch flat screen TV that is not going to happen. The absolute worst outcome will be that they make you pay for the items and withdraw your ability to use the service in future.

johncrossley

Established Member
As Sainsbury's aren't the railway, I very much suspect they wouldn't be prosecuting for random one-off omissions, but would simply ask you to pay for it and increase the number of checks on you for a bit, and if it happened too often simply ban you from using the facility.

Generally speaking supermarkets, unlike the railway, understand customer services and the difference between grabbing something off the shelf and walking straight out with it (which can't be done by accident and is analogous to e.g. jumping a gateline without even going near the TVM or booking office) and accidentally not scanning one low-cost item when you've bought 120 quid's worth which is very likely to be an accident unless it happens repeatedly.

One thing I do wonder is if those who don't have the mental capacity to deal with self-scan, e.g. due to a disability like Alzheimer's, could challenge the fact that many offers are only available that way under equality law.

Stuart Hall (former TV presenter) got prosecuted for stealing from a supermarket, although he was cleared in court. Although this was before self-scanning, the principle is similar. If I recall correctly, he forgot to put some items on the checkout belt and left them in the trolley.

DelayRepay

Established Member
The objection I have is that they always seem to pick the chocolate bars and crisps to re-scan, never the fruit and veg. Anyone watching would think I was a very unhealthy person!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Stuart Hall (former TV presenter) got prosecuted for stealing from a supermarket, although he was cleared in court. Although this was before self-scanning, the principle is similar. If I recall correctly, he forgot to put some items on the checkout belt and left them in the trolley.

That is fairly hard to do by accident, you can see if a trolley is empty or not.

johncrossley

Established Member
That is fairly hard to do by accident, you can see if a trolley is empty or not.

You might have put bags in the trolley, obscuring small items. This is more likely to happen nowadays, as most people take bags with them. That is a way self-checkout at the till is more risky than scanning as you shop.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As others point out, the main advantage is for the big shops, but one other plus point is they very rarely throw up wobblers and require human intervention. Whilst you do occasionally get a requirement for a verification scan (this is normally only 5 or so items), this comes far less often than an intervention required on the normal self service checkouts, which at some shops *cough* Lidl *cough* can be on over 95% of visits.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As others point out, the main advantage is for the big shops, but one other plus point is they very rarely throw up wobblers and require human intervention. Whilst you do occasionally get a requirement for a verification scan (this is normally only 5 or so items), this comes far less often than an intervention required on the normal self service checkouts, which at some shops *cough* Lidl *cough* can be on over 95% of visits.

Self service checkouts seem more reliable without the weighing scales in the bagging area (Waitrose for instance don't have them, nor does the Sainsburys at Euston) but I guess it's a trade off of staff time dealing with interventions vs. additional losses from theft.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Self service checkouts seem more reliable without the weighing scales in the bagging area (Waitrose for instance don't have them, nor does the Sainsburys at Euston) but I guess it's a trade off of staff time dealing with interventions vs. additional losses from theft.
I would say that the requirement for human intervention on self service checkouts for an ordinary transaction without any coupons, or pricing error, is entirely down to the scales. It is however possibly to accidentally scan the same item twice, which requires attendant sign-in to remove it.

Broucek

Given what we later learned about Stuart Hall's moral compass, I wonder how "forgetful" he really was....

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I imagine three hands are required for the hand-held self-scan devices, an attribute which I do not have! One to carry the basket, one to hold the scanner and a third to pick things off the shelf. You could of course balance the basket precariously on the edge of the shelf whilst picking, scanning and placing therein.

The self-scan checkouts at B & Q are quite unnerving - in your face filming which is relayed back to you whilst you try and scan, pack and then co-ordinate between the scan/till and the card reader.

najaB

Veteran Member
I imagine three hands are required for the hand-held self-scan devices, an attribute which I do not have! One to carry the basket, one to hold the scanner and a third to pick things off the shelf.
I generally put the item into the basket with the barcode facing out and then scan it and the scanner back into the basket while walking around/selecting items.

gswindale

I imagine three hands are required for the hand-held self-scan devices, an attribute which I do not have! One to carry the basket, one to hold the scanner and a third to pick things off the shelf. You could of course balance the basket precariously on the edge of the shelf whilst picking, scanning and placing therein.

The self-scan checkouts at B & Q are quite unnerving - in your face filming which is relayed back to you whilst you try and scan, pack and then co-ordinate between the scan/till and the card reader.
From what I recall, if you're using a trolley in Tesco, there is a holder for the scanner, so not an issue.

Snow1964

Established Member

My local Sainsburys is configured the same way, but if you go in the evening after about 8pm, the manned checkouts are usually all closed. I think someone will come over and run your shopping through a self service till if you really need it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I do however prefer to use the actual handheld scanners rather than the App though - not all branches have these but I thought if they have the standalone SmartShop checkouts they also have the scanners? I find it much quicker and easier to use.

Jamiescott1

I do however prefer to use the actual handheld scanners rather than the App though - not all branches have these but I thought if they have the standalone SmartShop checkouts they also have the scanners? I find it much quicker and easier to use.

I like the app as you get tailored prices on items you buy regularly.
I always have butter and grapes at a smartshop price

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I like the app as you get tailored prices on items you buy regularly.
I always have butter and grapes at a smartshop price
You get the discounted prices on the scanners too, exactly the same as you do on the App.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sainsburys at Euston does have scales. I fell foul of them recently by having teo different bakery items in the same bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.