• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarket Self Service Tills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamcan81

I avoid self service tills wherever possible. Prefer to deal with a human being. Add to that the fact that the Co-Op membership card I have on my phone won't scan at a self service till as they have barcode scanners and not QR scanners, and the card has a QR code. Staffed tills have the correct scanners.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I have been wondering just how much plastic is saved compared to the pre-2015 freebies as the present ones seem to be larger and also made of thicker plastic. Do they biodegrade at the same rate?
I can only speak for the shops locally, but I'd say that only about one in ten people buy a bag in the supermarket. Guess there's some truth to the stereotype of the frugal Scotsman.

Gloster

Established Member
Going back to the earlier point about change, that's one of my biggest grievances with self-service machines. The choice of coins can be very random at times. The best example was getting £1.50 once - got a £1 coin all fine and well but then came a 20p, 10p, 2x5p and 5x2p!
The machines in most of the local supermarkets seem to love giving out 5p coins. I will rarely get a 10p and sometimes no 20p coins, but instead get a deluge of 5p ones. (A bit like my bank, which once supplied me with 1000 Deutschmarks, all in 5 and 10 DM notes: 143 of them.)

trainophile

Established Member
Unbelievably I had occasion to purchase another carrier bag today, this time in Tesco and "only" 20p. I had taken a sturdy Tesco one with me that must have been on its 50th outing, but filled it up before I got to Tesco (TK Maxx having a final clearance sale :oops: , plus I found some bargain sandals in another shop). It was very lucky as the old faithful's handle broke as I got on the bus, so I tied it to the other handle to get me home and will take it back for a free exchange tomorrow - well that's what it says on the bottom of the bag. No such promise with Morrisons overpriced offering.

Now that I never pay with cash I'd forgotten about the random coinage in change, but yes it used to drive me nuts.

SteveM70

Established Member
Going back to the earlier point about change, that's one of my biggest grievances with self-service machines. The choice of coins can be very random at times. The best example was getting £1.50 once - got a £1 coin all fine and well but then came a 20p, 10p, 2x5p and 5x2p!

Just a watered down version of the setup money in Monopoly

But more relevantly, the tills are programmed to try and keep a balance of the various coins, unfortunately this means sometimes you get examples like yours, but it’s preferable to giving “perfect” change to customers and then suddenly having nothing bigger than a 20p when it needs £3 of change

ta-toget

But more relevantly, the tills are programmed to try and keep a balance of the various coins, unfortunately this means sometimes you get examples like yours, but it’s preferable to giving “perfect” change to customers and then suddenly having nothing bigger than a 20p when it needs £3 of change
Can they give notes as change? What happens if they don't have enough cash to give change? (Or is that impossible?)

CrispyUK

Can they give notes as change? What happens if they don't have enough cash to give change? (Or is that impossible?)
They can give notes as part of the change. I would guess they either go out of service or switch to only accepting card payments if the change reserves get too low.

SteveM70

Established Member

Yes they can run out of change, but it’s far less of a risk than it was even 3 years ago because a far greater proportion of transactions are made with cards (and a bigger still proportion of the lower value transactions associated with self service rather than manned tills)

Not sure about the rest of the supermarkets, but at least two of them don’t reuse coins from customers in the change they give out

Gloster

Established Member
If you mean credit notes, then I don’t think so. If you don’t get any or enough change you have to call for Help and explain. There will be a long wait while they poke the machine, get somebody more senior, who then pokes the machine before going off to get a key. Once it is opened, if the reason for the blockage is obvious, such as a bit of card in the wrong place, they say, “I don’t know how that got there”, in a tone suggesting that you have somehow managed to insert the card at the bottom of the column of coins, before finally handing over the due sum. If the reason is not obvious, you have to prod them to give you your money and not wait for someone to come from Taiwan to examine the machine.

I will say that the machines are not as bad as when they were new: you still get short changed occasionally, but they are less prone to fail to count some of the money you had inserted. I did once have a woman saying, “It is only 2p.” “Yes, but it is my 2p.”

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If you mean credit notes, then I don’t think so. If you don’t get any or enough change you have to call for Help and explain. There will be a long wait while they poke the machine, get somebody more senior, who then pokes the machine before going off to get a key. Once it is opened, if the reason for the blockage is obvious, such as a bit of card in the wrong place, they say, “I don’t know how that got there”, in a tone suggesting that you have somehow managed to insert the card at the bottom of the column of coins, before finally handing over the due sum. If the reason is not obvious, you have to prod them to give you your money and not wait for someone to come from Taiwan to examine the machine.

I will say that the machines are not as bad as when they were new: you still get short changed occasionally, but they are less prone to fail to count some of the money you had inserted. I did once have a woman saying, “It is only 2p.” “Yes, but it is my 2p.”
I got fed up with Morrisons machines throwing out small coins in change like a demented fruit machine, and having to scoop them up, so for the first time I counted these coins before putting them in my pocket and found I was 1p out of pocket. I called the member of staff, who was the Chief Cook and Bottlewasher i.e. he'd been there for more than two years and probably got 20p per hour more than Minimum Wage. He tutted until I pointed out that if I'd been 1p short of paying the bill, then Morrisons' tills would have insisted on alternative form of payment, or whatever. He made great show of presenting me with a penny, but was a bit embarassed when I told him to put it into a charity box along with the £1 coin I produced from my pocket. I'd made my point.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I got fed up with Morrisons machines throwing out small coins in change like a demented fruit machine, and having to scoop them up, so for the first time I counted these coins before putting them in my pocket and found I was 1p out of pocket. I called the member of staff, who was the Chief Cook and Bottlewasher i.e. he'd been there for more than two years and probably got 20p per hour more than Minimum Wage. He tutted until I pointed out that if I'd been 1p short of paying the bill, then Morrisons' tills would have insisted on alternative form of payment, or whatever. He made great show of presenting me with a penny, but was a bit embarassed when I told him to put it into a charity box along with the £1 coin I produced from my pocket. I'd made my point.
We were always advised to count the change back into the customer's hand, so I think these machines should be retrained...

"So that's three sixty-two, three-seventy, eighty, four, five and five's ten" :)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not sure about the rest of the supermarkets, but at least two of them don’t reuse coins from customers in the change they give out
Older models don’t recycle notes or coins but newer models do. The large supermarkets generally have a mixture of older and newer models across their store estates.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The automated self service tills at my local Tesco / Sainsbury's never seem to give out 50p or 10p coins as change.

Never!

If you are due 50p in change, you'll invariably get 2 x 20p and either 2 x 5p or 5 x 2p back.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The automated self service tills at my local Tesco / Sainsbury's never seem to give out 50p or 10p coins as change.

Never!

If you are due 50p in change, you'll invariably get 2 x 20p and either 2 x 5p or 5 x 2p back.
The older models don’t have sufficient dispensers to hold all denominations of coins. Consequently they cannot dispense 50p and 10p coins as change.

Tbis will change (pardon the pun) as the checkouts that recycle coins become more common.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Older models don’t recycle notes or coins but newer models do. The large supermarkets generally have a mixture of older and newer models across their store estates.
IIRC Morrisons used to use the Wincor-Nixdorf (now Diebold-Nixdorf) terminals but then switched to NCR ones. As such, their self service tills, excluding in their newest stores, are all seemingly of a similar age as they did a wholesale replacement of the Nixdorf ones with NCR. At least that's how it appeared as an outsider.

Regarding coins, it seems that NCR gives an option of whether to have a hopper that customers can just drop coins into, or a more conventional slot. I prefer the hopper as it's easier to put several coins in.

Gloster

Established Member
Regarding coins, it seems that NCR gives an option of whether to have a hopper that customers can just drop coins into, or a more conventional slot. I prefer the hopper as it's easier to put several coins in.
Trying to find where to put the coins in when your glasses are steamed up, something that has been more common with masks, is not an easy job. “Why don’t you lift your glasses up?” “ That takes one hand. I have a stick in the other. What am I going to use to put the coins in the slot?”

Dai Corner

Established Member
The older models don’t have sufficient dispensers to hold all denominations of coins. Consequently they cannot dispense 50p and 10p coins as change.

Tbis will change (pardon the pun) as the checkouts that recycle coins become more common.
Ah,that would explain why I could never get rid of my copper coins by feeding them into self-service checkouts.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
We were always advised to count the change back into the customer's hand, so I think these machines should be retrained...

"So that's three sixty-two, three-seventy, eighty, four, five and five's ten" :)
I did that over twenty five years of shopkeeping! Utterly impossible to instil that into someone younger, though...they'd just look at you pitifully.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I know WH Smith are not a supermarket, but they do seem to have replaced most of their staff with these machines, in the branches I use anyway. What I find amusing is that they have programmed the machine to try to flog over-priced bars of chocolate and other bits of tat before completing the transaction, just like the humans used to do when they operated the tills.

What I find annoying about Morrisons is that they seem to expect one member of staff to supervise the self service tills, run the customer service desk, serve on the lottery/tobacco counter and deal with any problems (products that won't scan, damaged items that need replacing etc) on the old fashioned staffed tills. Inevitably when you need help (approval of age restricted products, 'unexpected item in the bagging area' or whatever), they are either nowhere to be seen, or have got stuck on one of their counters with a queue of people waiting.

My local B&Q used to have some of these tills, but got rid of them not long ago and replaced them with more staffed checkouts.

Typhoon

Established Member

The coins the machines tend to give out tend to be the smaller ones (so 2x5p for 10p, 2x5p + 2x20p for 50p, 2x£1 for £2), so not just fewer dispensers but those requiring less width? Just a theory.

When I first started teaching, we were required to teach that method as part of CSE Maths, it was part of Money Management (along with Income Tax, National Insurance, reading Electricity Meters, etc). Soon to be replaced by really useful things like set theory, topology and the like!!

I did that over twenty five years of shopkeeping! Utterly impossible to instil that into someone younger, though...they'd just look at you pitifully.
One plus about the self service machines, is that when the bill comes to £8.21, and you pass over 1 £10 note along with two coins, it doesn't say 'you've given me too much', pass the 20p and 1p back and then proceed to give 1x£1, 1x50p, 1x20p, 1x5p, 2x2p then ring the bell because they want more change!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The machines in most of the local supermarkets seem to love giving out 5p coins.

That might be my fault: my daughter had collected about £100 worth of 5p coins over the years, so I gave her notes equivalent and spent all the 5ps in my local Tesco. Took about a month!

Gloster

Established Member
That might be my fault: my daughter had collected about £100 worth of 5p coins over the years, so I gave her notes equivalent and spent all the 5ps in my local Tesco. Took about a month!
I trust you counted them before handing her the £100.

Typhoon

Established Member
Another plus about using cash at the supermarket self service tills. Why pay for services like Coinstar, when you can bung all your (or your daughter's) small change into the coin hopper on the till?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Another plus about using cash at the supermarket self service tills. Why pay for services like Coinstar, when you can bung all your (or your daughter's) small change into the coin hopper on the till?
Coin hopper? All my local supermarkets have replaced any they did have with slots which are (intentionally?) much more awkward to use.

Typhoon

Established Member
Coin hopper? All my local supermarkets have replaced any they did have with slots which are (intentionally?) much more awkward to use.
Sorry, I haven't got a clue what they are called. some are the fiddly slots like old fashioned phone boxes, others can take a flow of coins. Maybe the supermarkets round your way have got too many people like @Bald Rick (#291)?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Sorry, I haven't got a clue what they are called. some are the fiddly slots like old fashioned phone boxes, others can take a flow of coins. Maybe the supermarkets round your way have got too many people like @Bald Rick (#291)?
I understood what you meant by hoppers was the things you can drop a handful of coins into but was surprised they were still in use anywhere. Perhaps they concentrate them in areas with the lowest concentrations of users like Bald Rick?!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I had to post them through a slot... and there seems to be a limit as to how many coins it will accept for one transaction. About 30 I think.

ta-toget

I meant Bank of England notes (or RBS/Ulster Bank, for that matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.