• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR: Guards/RMT Industrial Action. Next strike dates: 30/31 August, 1/2 September 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
Hitting the toffs? ;)

The vast majority of people going to Ascot are not 'toffs'.

The funniest thing about Ascot is that late morning and early afternoon is that lots of sober, dressed up people trundle down to Ascot and by the end of the day most are far from sober, often half undressed and often extremely obnoxious and rude to other passengers and staff. Not all obviously, but it's eye opening.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The vast majority of people going to Ascot are not 'toffs'.

The funniest thing about Ascot is that late morning and early afternoon is that lots of sober, dressed up people trundle down to Ascot and by the end of the day most are far from sober, often half undressed and often extremely obnoxious and rude to other passengers and staff. Not all obviously, but it's eye opening.

Agreed. Not many toffs at Royal Ascot. I go every year, but avoid Thursday, Friday and Saturday like the plague as the behaviour is appalling. Drug taking, fights, shagging, you name it. The prices have been hiked and number of tickets sales restricted, presumably to try to shake off its poor reputation.

As ever, of course, it's a prominent minority that spoil it for everyone else

Matt Taylor

Established Member
If anyone is wondering the relevance of the dates they are the three busiest days of Royal Ascot. Queues for the 6-8 tph after racing finishes on the Saturday can be up to two hours long

Also covering the first three days of the Isle Of Wight Festival.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Anyhow as I'm heading up to London on the Friday, I suspect it will be something similar with the West of England services being hourly with some peak time extras?

Last edited by a moderator:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Also covering the first three days of the Isle Of Wight Festival.

I wonder which days of the Isle of Wight are most popular for travelling? Coming back I'd have thought the Monday. Maybe they could and held an additional strike on the Monday.

How about Thursday, Saturday and Monday.

I'm pleased to see this strike includes a Saturday. Most strikes only seem to happen Monday to Friday. Why shouldn't a Saturday or Sunday be included from time to time.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I wonder which days of the Isle of Wight are most popular for travelling? Coming back I'd have thought the Monday. Maybe they could and held an additional strike on the Monday.

How about Thursday, Saturday and Monday.

I'm pleased to see this strike includes a Saturday. Most strikes only seem to happen Monday to Friday. Why shouldn't a Saturday or Sunday be included from time to time.

At a guess, weekend strikes (certainly Sunday’s) would have less impact because there’s fewer trains running, which in turn means they need fewer contingency/non striking guards, you also lose the secondary effect of the office hours of the management which need to be caught up on. On a Saturday or Sunday typically management/office staff won’t usually work, so won’t have work to catch up on.

Warwick

"Toffs" don't take the train to Ascot, only the common people do. Toffs travel to Ascot by Bentley/Range Rover/other upmarket vehicles and helicopter. Thanks to the stupid RMT going on strike over "safety" more people will be using the more unsafe roads.

387star

On Moderation
Agreed. Not many toffs at Royal Ascot. I go every year, but avoid Thursday, Friday and Saturday like the plague as the behaviour is appalling. Drug taking, fights, shagging, you name it. The prices have been hiked and number of tickets sales restricted, presumably to try to shake off its poor reputation.

As ever, of course, it's a prominent minority that spoil it for everyone else
Sounds awful

infobleep

Veteran Member
At a guess, weekend strikes (certainly Sunday’s) would have less impact because there’s fewer trains running, which in turn means they need fewer contingency/non striking guards, you also lose the secondary effect of the office hours of the management which need to be caught up on. On a Saturday or Sunday typically management/office staff won’t usually work, so won’t have work to catch up on.
It's a shame there is away of affecting them more on Sundays. That way any day of the week would be affected.

So will this strike on the Saturday have no or little impact on management time?

westv

Established Member
As someone who is likely to have to cart himself from Waterloo to Guildford come July, are these problems likely to affect me if it carries on?

Goldfish62

Established Member
As someone who is likely to have to cart himself from Waterloo to Guildford come July, are these problems likely to affect me if it carries on?
I imagine it will be a feature until further notice.

I wouldn't worry too much. My own experience is that away from the extremities of the network and the quieter lines the disruption is minimal.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's a shame there is away of affecting them more on Sundays. That way any day of the week would be affected.

So will this strike on the Saturday have no or little impact on management time?
It will on the Saturday due to the enhanced Ascot service.

There was a strike on a Sunday and from what I recall a normal service operated.

Goldfish62

Established Member
"Toffs" don't take the train to Ascot, only the common people do. Toffs travel to Ascot by Bentley/Range Rover/other upmarket vehicles and helicopter. Thanks to the stupid RMT going on strike over "safety" more people will be using the more unsafe roads.
They'll have to cover the Ascot services for safety reasons, due to the sheer crowds that need moving quickly. I also imagine the enhanced services are funded by the racecourse. I would guess that services elsewhere will be more depleted than on previous strike days.

Helvellyn

Established Member
This could get messy if they have gone for Royal Ascot/IoW festival weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if things don't improve between SWR and RMT to see something announced affecting a number of days w/c 2nd July - that would impact Hampton Court Flower Show and the first week of Wimbledon Tennis. If they did something w/c 9th July that is the second week of Wimbledon and w/c 16th July is Farnborough Air Show. Late June/Early July is effectively one special event after another on the SWR network and strike action has the double whammy because Managers volunteer to add support for these events, so this stretches the ability to provide that support and run the trains.

theironroad

Established Member

On the basis of the past strike days, Guildford will still get plenty of trains.

theironroad

Established Member
This could get messy if they have gone for Royal Ascot/IoW festival weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if things don't improve between SWR and RMT to see something announced affecting a number of days w/c 2nd July - that would impact Hampton Court Flower Show and the first week of Wimbledon Tennis. If they did something w/c 9th July that is the second week of Wimbledon and w/c 16th July is Farnborough Air Show. Late June/Early July is effectively one special event after another on the SWR network and strike action has the double whammy because Managers volunteer to add support for these events, so this stretches the ability to provide that support and run the trains.

As I guess swr won't pick up the bill, I guess the events volunteers will be replaced by zero hour agency staff to free managers to guard.

Drogba11CFC

They've also gone for the model railway exhibition at the Bluebell Railway just as their XC counterparts went after Warley weekend last November; dogs in mangers spring to mind.

theironroad

Established Member
They've also gone for the model railway exhibition at the Bluebell Railway just as their XC counterparts went after Warley weekend last November; dogs in mangers spring to mind.

Who's 'gone for'?

Firstly,the bluebell railway isn't on swr turf and second, a model railway exhibition isn't exactly in the same scale as Ascot or iow festival.

theironroad

Established Member
Thread update:

RMT strike action is planned on the following dates:
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Thursday 26 July 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 28 July 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Tuesday 31 July 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 4 August 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 11 August 2018
• 0001 Hours and 2359 Hours on Saturday 18 August 2018
• 0001 Hours on Friday 31 August 2018 and 2359 Hours on Saturday 1 September 2018

pemma

Veteran Member
Has Laura Smith forgotten that she represents an area served by Northern, ATW, Virgin, EMT and LNR? Plenty of more relevant questions she could ask in parliament!

Q
Asked by Laura Smith
(Crewe and Nantwich)
Asked on: 20 July 2018
Department for Transport
South Western Railway: Compensation
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, pursuant to the Answer of 28 June 2018 to Question 155260 on rail strikes, whether South Western Railway has made an application in the last 12 months to reimburse the company for revenues lost as a result of official industrial action.
A
Answered by: Joseph Johnson
Answered on: 25 July 2018
South Western Railway has made an application with regards to industrial action.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/south-western-could-be-paid-to-not-run-trains/

Last edited by a moderator:

theironroad

Established Member
Wow!

Saturday July 28 2018

No trains Bournemouth to Weymouth
Previously inputted Bus replacement service removed from journey planners.
Advice to use LOCAL bus service
No ticket acceptance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-27-11-46-15.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-27-11-46-15.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.