• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

Deepgreen

Established Member
Won't be new, they are usually just heavily overhauled. Always a surplus as when units go for scrap they are stripped of useful spares.
I wonder if any compressors were actually survivors from pre-455 units. If so, that would surely make them the, or one of the, oldest types of rolling stock gear still in service!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RealTrains07

Established Member
Why are the wrapped units being re painted? Surely its more cost effective to leave them in the wrapped livery?

Don Steedy

Why are the wrapped units being re painted? Surely its more cost effective to leave them in the wrapped livery?
Not necessarily - bubbling of the vinyl wrap is an ever-present risk which could lead to corrosion issues if moisture gets trapped. De-wrapping and re-painting mitigates that.

The Desiro repaint project isn’t just a livery change - it’s a 20 year corrosion repair & repaint which is a convenient opportunity to change the livery. It includes removing all the roof mounted HVAC units so that the wells they sit in can be fully painted, and any corrosion around the bodyside windows is dealt with at the same time too with the old sealant being dug out and replaced as necessary

Last edited:

The Desiro repaint project isn’t just a livery change - it’s a 20 year corrosion repair & repaint which is a convenient opportunity to change the livery. It includes removing all the roof mounted HVAC units so that the wells they sit in can be fully painted, and any corrosion around the bodyside windows is dealt with at the same time too with the old sealant being dug out and replaced as necessary

Thanks Don, I didnt know that was being also with the repaint. Appreciate you doing that.

The_Train

Established Member
Can anybody assist with when 450031 and 450116 came out of the paint shop please?

Recessio

We see things get repainted into Swallow. We see BR blue, with modifications for doors.

Has anything come back in an NSE derived livery? (Other than SWT slamdoor, before anyone says it)
As mentioned upthread, they did one coach of a 313. To be honest though, I'll think you'll have to wait until we start getting the retirement of units that were introduced under NSE rather than "just" BR. (Networkers, maybe). It's a shame the 442s never got that type of retirement run from South Western Railway, they would have been a prime candidate.

I think the 455 repaint is a really nice touch, credit to the painting crews and powers-that-be that allowed it to happen.

Sorry, I was just suggesting a way it could get back while the main line was still blocked.
All good

Perhaps it could be this now?

fgwrich

Established Member
5868 Moved back to Wimbledon this afternoon, however (and I hate to feel nitpicky), I think the BR Blue has been carried up too high?

As built:

868 today:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
5868 Moved back to Wimbledon this afternoon, however (and I hate to feel nitpicky), I think the BR Blue has been carried up too high?

As built:

868 today:
There are multiple differences. I think SWR treats this as more of a tribute than anything else.

pompeyfan

Established Member
The original didn’t have a white SWR sticker… it’s not authentic, sack the designers.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I hate to admit it (usually dislike heritage repaints with a passion) but I think it actually looks quite good. Anything beats the red.

On Moderation
I'm really not getting all the excitement about an inaccurate historical repaint, especially when you apply the wider context.

Apparently DfT is all over the TOCs controlling everything they spend, yet there's the thick end of £50k spent on an un-needed repaint. Then add in that SWR's loing-suffering customers are enduring short formations (4 vice 10 in some cases), yet this unit can be spared for a couple of weeks or so to be repainted. There's some priorities that are very, very wrong in the organisation.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Obviously, there are variations on 5868 from its original livery, but the "golden spanners" are a nice touch beneath each cab-side window.

Attachments

• P1670031.JPG
    P1670031.JPG
    585.1 KB · Views: 137