• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I doubt theirs much difference because they both go through the same process. I wonder if all the carpet and upholstery is totally replaced on a semi-referb.
Yes, AFAICT semi-refurbs did have most of the carpets replaced and all the standard seats reupholstered. The standard seats to be removed from the area behind the cabs would then provide about half of those to be moved into the original first class area when it is stripped out.

I’d have thought the second stage of the refurb for those units would be reduced by enough time to be noticeable.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RealTrains07

Established Member
Even units that haven’t been semi or fully refurbished yet still get new stickers and display stuff on the inside which is nice at least

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I understand the grab pole colour situation, what with them needing to be seen visibly, (although painting them yellow would comply and match their brand colours better), but what I just cannot stand (and this is noticeable on 350/1s too) is that South Western Railway have not even bothered to replace a single one of certain stickers that are blatantly in that very Stagecoachy font (you know, the one IKEA use too), these being:

The signs that point to the toilet and “refreshments”

The signs on the toilets

The red signs in the middle of the carriages saying the emergency alarms are by the doors

The No Smoking signs

The emergency exit signs and signs pointing to the emergency equipment

Maybe yes, these are little things but they stand out noticeably because the font clashes badly with the new font South Western Railway use.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I understand the grab pole colour situation, what with them needing to be seen visibly, (although painting them yellow would comply and match their brand colours better),
So, as I have queried several times on this thread do other TOCs get away with it? For example, GA uses pale grey grabrails against a pale grey background.

The 442s have very dark blue grabrails.

I don't think the fact that the grabrails haven't changed is anything to do with visibility. It's either time, or expense or both.

SWRtrain_fan

I understand the grab pole colour situation, what with them needing to be seen visibly, (although painting them yellow would comply and match their brand colours better), but what I just cannot stand (and this is noticeable on 350/1s too) is that South Western Railway have not even bothered to replace a single one of certain stickers that are blatantly in that very Stagecoachy font (you know, the one IKEA use too), these being:

The signs that point to the toilet and “refreshments”

The signs on the toilets

The red signs in the middle of the carriages saying the emergency alarms are by the doors

The No Smoking signs

The emergency exit signs and signs pointing to the emergency equipment

Maybe yes, these are little things but they stand out noticeably because the font clashes badly with the new font South Western Railway use.
I think that's just the Siemens Desiro font, it's not Stagecoach's.

NewSt

Those signs aren't in SWT/Stagecoach's font, that font is also used on other Desiros e.g. the LNWR 350s. It's the Siemens Desiro house style.

They are in SWT's house style, the font is called futura. They are used on the LNR 350/1s presumably because they either installed them before the order changed from 450s to 350s or they just used them as they had spare stock.

SWRtrain_fan

They are in SWT's house style, the font is called futura. They are used on the LNR 350/1s presumably because they either installed them before the order changed from 450s to 350s or they just used them as they had spare stock.
Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Dan15812

Does anyone know if the toilets are being refreshed as part of the Desiro refurbishment? They're in pretty poor condition. Luckily i manage to avoid using them!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Does anyone know if the toilets are being refreshed as part of the Desiro refurbishment? They're in pretty poor condition. Luckily i manage to avoid using them!

The toilets are receiving a vinyl and a wipe down. Other than that they remain the same.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I doubt theirs much difference because they both go through the same process. I wonder if all the carpet and upholstery is totally replaced on a semi-referb.
The partial refurbs already received new seat covers, cushions and carpets. The carpet will need some minor work where the guard's office is subsequently removed and the 1st Class relocated.

Dan15812

The partial refurbs already received new seat covers, cushions and carpets. The carpet will need some minor work where the guard's office is subsequently removed and the 1st Class relocated.
Yeah I know, but it seems a bit silly doing partially refreshed ones because removing the Gard's office must be quite a messy job. And it involves a patch of new carpet which would cost them more money and they don't need all those leather seats that they reupholstered for first!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yeah I know, but it seems a bit silly doing partially refreshed ones because removing the Gard's office must be quite a messy job. And it involves a patch of new carpet which would cost them more money and they don't need all those leather seats that they reupholstered for first!
The cushions can be kept as spares I would think.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Removing the guards office will be integrated with removing the existing first class partitions, and modifying the ceilings in the same overall area, so I would suggest it would be odd to not do it. Surely 16 of the 24 FC seats will be resited within the unit, the 8 spares just get stored and then “prime the pump” for other full refurbs.

Dan15812

Removing the guards office will be integrated with removing the existing first class partitions, and modifying the ceilings in the same overall area, so I would suggest it would be odd to not do it. Surely 16 of the 24 FC seats will be resited within the unit, the 8 spares just get stored and then “prime the pump” for other full refurbs.
Real shame they're not fresh out the factory!
Well at least the 444's are good.

Last edited:

RealTrains07

Established Member
Latest issue Modern railways did a few pages on SWR including the progress of the refurbishment

According to the MR article the 158s and 159s will all be finished by the end of the year and the desiro work will start at the beginning of next year?

Which is odd since the desiros are getting worked on now. Would this be to do with exterior work perhaps?

Dan15812

Latest issue Modern railways did a few pages on SWR including the progress of the refurbishment

According to the MR article the 158s and 159s will all be finished by the end of the year and the desiro work will start at the beginning of next year?

Which is odd since the desiros are getting worked on now. Would this be to do with exterior work perhaps?
I reckon they ment the other way round. Probably a mistake

387star

On Moderation

AFAIK next year Desiros external and diesels Internal
The stations look appalling with the blue bands as they are stick ons and peeling off

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
they don't need all those leather seats that they reupholstered for first!
What’s awful is they’re not even the same seats! I’ve sampled the part refurbished first class a fair few times and the fully refurbished numerous times, and you can tell they’re not the same seats by the headrest. The part refurbished ones have a deep dent in the head part, the refurbished ones do not.

It seems to me SWR have largely wasted time refurbishing the first class seats for the part refurbished units if they’re not going to be used when the full refurbishment starts!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

In an attempt to clarify, I’ve read the relevant section, on page 59, which is clearly only about the 158s/159s. What it says is that the current 158/159 work at Brush will complete just before Christmas, then it will be followed next year by a similar reconfiguration to that on the Desiro fleet to provide an increase in standard class seating...”. My bolding.

In other words they are comparing the type of work to be done on the DMU’s seating layout, (eg 2+2 First Class etc), to the Desiros, but not referring directly to the Desiros, the latter’s key dates having already been described on page 57.