• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

On Moderation
I thought that. Very challenging. I would guess that the displaced 450s from the Reading line won't all be used to strengthen other services initially, but there will be a sizeable float to enable a significant number of units to be refurbished at once. And of course as the livery appears to be all vinyl, this will be quicker than painting.
If they just apply vinyls over the top of the existing paint then they are very dumb. The SWR Desiros need a repaint, and they ought to be painting them then applying whatever squiggly graphics the designers have come up with over the top as a vinyl.

This is the curse of vinyl: it gives designers free reign to do whatever they want. Worse, it is not good for the bodyshell as water gets trapped behind the vinyl sheets and causes corrosion. At least with fresh paint under the vinyl, there is less chance of this happening, though if I was Angel I'd be either refusing all-over vinyls or charging a premium for doing so, knowing full well what will happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
If they just apply vinyls over the top of the existing paint then they are very dumb. The SWR Desiros need a repaint, and they ought to be painting them then applying whatever squiggly graphics the designers have come up with over the top as a vinyl.

This is the curse of vinyl: it gives designers free reign to do whatever they want. Worse, it is not good for the bodyshell as water gets trapped behind the vinyl sheets and causes corrosion. At least with fresh paint under the vinyl, there is less chance of this happening, though if I was Angel I'd be either refusing all-over vinyls or charging a premium for doing so, knowing full well what will happen.
444040 is an all-vinyl application.

I agree totally about vinyl, but I just don't how such a demanding schedule can be achieved if there is any significant painting involved. Or maybe this is just about the interiors and reliverying will have its own separate programme.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
444040 is an all-vinyl application.

I agree totally about vinyl, but I just don't how such a demanding schedule can be achieved if there is any significant painting involved. Or maybe this is just about the interiors and reliverying will have its own separate programme.
The 444s have a perfect base colour of White so I can’t think of why they’d need a costly repaint. All liveries nower days are stickers just because their cheaper and easier to apply.

On Moderation
The 444s have a perfect base colour of White so I can’t think of why they’d need a costly repaint. All liveries nower days are stickers just because their cheaper and easier to apply.
Paint isn’t just about applying whatever daft livery the designers have come up with, it also has a practical purpose in protecting the bodyshell from corrosion.

And you are wrong: not all liveries are vinyl. A large number are paint for the reason above, it looks better and is harder wearing.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I can only think of TPE and SWR that are all vinyl.

Class455

Established Member
Not sure if it’s already been reported but 5870 also has SWR logos.
EDIT: I’ve also just seen a 456 with SWR logos south of Wimbledon

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
Even though 444040 is all vinyl on the top, it recieved a dark blue coat, as could be seen passing Northam depot.

class387

Established Member
Not sure if anyone's posted this but SWR has posted a n updated image for 444 standard:

444-interior-standard.jpg

I'm not actually sure whether this is awfully photoshopped or a huge downgrade.

class387

Established Member
Awfully photoshopped. It is the existing seats with new covers.
Completely unprofessional, but better than the second option I guess. It seems like they tried to replace the wrong 450 picture as soon as possible.

superalbs

Established Member
Not sure if anyone's posted this but SWR has posted a n updated image for 444 standard:

444-interior-standard.jpg

I'm not actually sure whether this is awfully photoshopped or a huge downgrade.
Seems to be missing a window, and some polygons on a seat back there too.
upload_2017-11-15_21-2-17.png

moley

Not missing a window - it's the refurbed buffet car which doesn't have a window hence no inner cabin door either.

nlogax

Established Member
I saw 458 515 this morning at Waterloo with its light blue SWR branding bodge job. Ye gads. Someone's really been busy with Microsoft Paint..I'm glad it's temporary.

Mike Machin

Yes, you're dead on the first two. Southern is definitely paint. Apart from the early 350s LM looks to shiny to be vinyl.
As a designer, with an involvement in vehicle liveries, one has to remember that vinyl technology has progressed in leaps and bounds over the last few years, and the products available now are light years ahead in performance and finish when compared to just say five years ago.

It is now incredibly thin in profile, is available in extremely high gloss finish (providing a far glossier appearance than paint if required), is amazingly durable, it is far more UV resistant than paint, and can maintain an 'as new appearance' far longer than most painted surfaces. Vinyl if properly applied can provide better protection than a painted finish and doesn't degrade as badly as paint with frequent washing.

It also allows for branding changes and re-liveries to be undertaken more easily, with far greater creative opportunities, so graphics for all vehicles (road, rail and increasingly aircraft) really is the way forward!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
450 standard don't have armrests. I think they are 444 standard. But I'm pretty sure it's computer generated, not based on a photo, so anything is possible.

They are computer generated. The seats will be the same as the ones already in 444s (and 350/1s, 185s etc). Grammer still supply them so there is no reason to use anything else (even though a few extras will be needed for the buffet areas).

450 seats are basically the same as 444 seats with the armrests omitted and a slight narrowing. If you look at the picture it's artificially narrowed throughout - while 444s are very narrow trains the proportions of the picture are wrong.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Those are 450 seats, not 444 seats.

I sincerely hope they aren't replacing the current seats on the 444s as they are more comfortable than those on the 450s.
The seat frames are identical in both types. The 444s have deeper and slightly wider cushions. That's the only difference.

Goldfish62

Established Member
That's all I'd expect to be fair. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the existing seats, other than being in Stagecoach red.
The seats do badly need new cushions as most of the current ones are collapsed. Travelling on a 360 or 456 demonstrates the difference between old and new.

class387

Established Member
I saw 458 515 this morning at Waterloo with its light blue SWR branding bodge job. Ye gads. Someone's really been busy with Microsoft Paint..I'm glad it's temporary.
Any pictures? Or is it the same as the white one on the 455s?