• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

K.o.R

Saw a 444 this morning with SWR stickers over the old SWT logo. Looked to be black text and the light blue logo (so the standard "full colour logo when on white").

Saw another one later in the day. They hadn't bothered to clean the thing before sticking on the stickers...

Helvellyn

Established Member
Wonder if 450111 is a prototype to test the carpets, seat covers and general colour scheme before squadron refurbishment? Or, conspiracy theory, they have done a unit in a temp job and this becomes the filming unit. Given how much SWT did I could see SWR seeing this as a nice little earner but at the same time wanting something to use that is less obviously SWT!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Saw a 444 this morning with SWR stickers over the old SWT logo. Looked to be black text and the light blue logo (so the standard "full colour logo when on white").

Saw another one later in the day. They hadn't bothered to clean the thing before sticking on the stickers...
Given that SWT never bothered cleaning them I imagine the dirt is fused to the paintwork by now!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Given that SWT never bothered cleaning them I imagine the dirt is fused to the paintwork by now!

Not strictly fair, the carriage washers are no longer allowed to use the strong acid to keep the bodywork white. Instead they have to be hand bashed which happens periodically now, just like it did under SWT

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not strictly fair, the carriage washers are no longer allowed to use the strong acid to keep the bodywork white. Instead they have to be hand bashed which happens periodically now, just like it did under SWT
Yet other operators have managed to keep their white trains clean.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Yet other operators have managed to keep their white trains clean.

Fair point, I’m sure there’s another reason deep down then, come to think of it, cant even blame the 3rd rail as SE manage to keep them white.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Fair point, I’m sure there’s another reason deep down then, come to think of it, cant even blame the 3rd rail as SE manage to keep them white.
Yes but to be fair SE fail in so many other ways compared to SWR IMO, so…

dp21

If I remember correctly there was an issue around being able to hand bash as someone put their foot in the shoe fuse box thinking they could use it as a step and so hand bashing was suspended. I didn't hear any more after that.

59CosG95

Established Member
That could be due to the fact that SWR's 444s have much more intensive use than SE's 375s, and have had fewer miles between failures (so don't spend nearly as long on depot). The SE = white point is becoming more and more moot as more and more of their fleet turns blue as well.
Yes but to be fair SE fail in so many other ways compared to SWR IMO, so…
Such as?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That could be due to the fact that SWR's 444s have much more intensive use than SE's 375s, and have had fewer miles between failures (so don't spend nearly as long on depot). The SE = white point is becoming more and more moot as more and more of their fleet turns blue as well.

Such as?
Their first class is appalling.
They offer minuscule if any catering service.
The state of some of their Networkers are shocking.

The Ham

Established Member
I bet that SWR are glad that their train that was stuck overnight was still in SWT livery and so some national media organisations were referring to SWT in their reports!

59CosG95

Established Member
Their first class is appalling.
They offer minuscule if any catering service.
The state of some of their Networkers are shocking.
Given the relatively short distances travelled by SE units, catering isn't really needed.
While I can't comment on the state of First Class, the states of the Networkers are probably compounded by intense service schedules (i.e. very little downtime) combined with SE London and urban Kent's antisocial behavioural tendencies.

By contrast, SWR run longer distance services (i.e. to Weymouth/Exeter) so First Class and catering (even if it is just a trolley) are a more worthwhile option to pursue. One could also argue that SWR (and SWT before them) ramped up the quality of maintenance at WD to cater for the (perhaps more influential) Surrey commuter base...but the socio-political effects of train maintenance standards are, in the context of a livery progress thread, neither here nor there.

Back to the topic at hand: does anyone here know how long a wait needs be taken between rubbing a train down and repainting it? More news on 450113 is eagerly awaited.

envirommc

Just a thought I wonder if 450543 to 450570 will revert back to 450043 to 450070 after beingrefurbished

pompeyfan

Established Member
All 450/5s will revert back to previous layout, not sure if numbers will revert.

On Moderation
All 450/5s will revert back to previous layout, not sure if numbers will revert.
I'm not sure the term "revert" is correct - all the 450s will be standardised would be better, as IIRC the first class is being changed to be behind each cab rather than in one of the middle trailers.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I'm not sure the term "revert" is correct - all the 450s will be standardised would be better, as IIRC the first class is being changed to be behind each cab rather than in one of the middle trailers.

Well said, I should have worded it correctly, all original seats will be returned and extra grab rails around the vestibules removed.

K.o.R

Just saw the SWR-liveried 450 come through Portsmouth & Southsea.