• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMT

With the drivers freeday agreement currently in place there's more than enough willing drivers on top of the extras already recruited for the 2018 timetable.

Plus the training school has 3 classes of 12 currently. (full driver training capacity)
That makes me wonder why they decided to launch the recruiting campaign Wave 1.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MINT

Great forum guys! Slightly off topic. Does anyone know how much you could expect to bump up your base pay with over-time once qualified, and do you think there a lots of opportunities for over time - so taking the working week up to 5 days? Thanks.

theironroad

Established Member
Great forum guys! Slightly off topic. Does anyone know how much you could expect to bump up your base pay with over-time once qualified, and do you think there a lots of opportunities for over time - so taking the working week up to 5 days? Thanks.

While there is some compulsory overtime if you are a!located a longer job when spare it doesn't add up to a lot normally.

I wouldn't base a mortgage or long term spending on overtime being available as sometimes there is none (rest day working).

Currently there is a fair amount of guaranteed overtime available under a deal struck last October and currently running to December 2020 when all new stock is introduced. This deal can be renogiated at any time before then but currently is quite popular.

MINT

While there is some compulsory overtime if you are a!located a longer job when spare it doesn't add up to a lot normally.

I wouldn't base a mortgage or long term spending on overtime being available as sometimes there is none (rest day working).

Currently there is a fair amount of guaranteed overtime available under a deal struck last October and currently running to December 2020 when all new stock is introduced. This deal can be renogiated at any time before then but currently is quite popular.

Thanks, very helpful.

Barry K

Having just been binned from the Overground, I was wondering if anyone else is still waiting to hear from SWR for Woking?

Barry K

Well, I just got binned from Woking, at 1712 on a Saturday afternoon.....

GMT

Well, I just got binned from Woking, at 1712 on a Saturday afternoon.....
Saturday? Do they work on Saturday in the HR dept at SWR? Anyway, soon may be my turn to be binned, but I applied for Waterloo. They were dealing with Staines and Woking first.

HeelBurton

Anyone heard anything? :s

DI interviews and recruitment has begun with courses for DI’s planned early April. Untill then some depots have slowed down recruitment. I would expect this to increase once the new DI’s begin duties to clear the backlog of trainees who have no DI’s. I know of a Staines trainee who has a Fratton DI so things at the moment are quite bad as numbers are thin. Probably won’t hear of anything untill the current backlog is trimmed down

Tron81

Saturday? Do they work on Saturday in the HR dept at SWR? Anyway, soon may be my turn to be binned, but I applied for Waterloo. They were dealing with Staines and Woking first.
Waterloo just seems to be a myth right about now.. I applied there too.

moony69

Just passed my medical with SWT, with Woking and Wimbledon a possibility. Would any one know what sort of work the two depots do?

WA_Driver

Just passed my medical with SWT, with Woking and Wimbledon a possibility. Would any one know what sort of work the two depots do?

Waterloo to Guildford (Via Epsom/Cobham/Woking)
Waterloo to Chessington South
Waterloo to Dorking
Waterloo to Weybridge (Via Hounslow)
Waterloo to Windsor Eton Riverside
Waterloo to Shepperton
Waterloo to Waterloo (via Kingson/Twickenham) Vice Versa
Waterloo to Waterloo (Via Hounslow/Richmond) Vice Versa
Waterloo to Woking (Via Surbiton/Hounslow)
Waterloo to Hampton Court
Waterloo to Reading
East Putney Line
Clapham Yard
Wimbledon Park Depot

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Should of said that what Wimbledon do....I’m not sure on what Woking do
Waterloo - Basingstoke
Waterloo - Alton via Richmond & Hounslow/Frimley and also via Pirbright/Foxhills
Woking-Portsmouth Harbour
Pirbright Junction-Alton
Aldershot North Jn - Guildford
Guildford - Surbiton via Cobham
Effingham Junction - Raynes Park via Epsom
Leatherhead - Dorking
Motspur Park - Chessington South
Virginia Water - Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw
Woking East End Sidings/Woking Yard
Guildford CHS/North Box Sidings
Clapham Yard
Farnham CSD
444/450/455/456/458/707. Last 4 will be replaced on card by new stock in due course I suppose

ZFE95

Waterloo - Basingstoke
Waterloo - Alton via Richmond & Hounslow/Frimley and also via Pirbright/Foxhills
Woking-Portsmouth Harbour
Pirbright Junction-Alton
Aldershot North Jn - Guildford
Guildford - Surbiton via Cobham
Effingham Junction - Raynes Park via Epsom
Leatherhead - Dorking
Motspur Park - Chessington South
Virginia Water - Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw
Woking East End Sidings/Woking Yard
Guildford CHS/North Box Sidings
Clapham Yard
Farnham CSD
444/450/455/456/458/707. Last 4 will be replaced on card by new stock in due course I suppose

Any idea what the bottom link Waterloo drivers get up to? Cheers.

moony69

Could anyone give an idea of a typical shift pattern, days on and off, earlies lates? Specifically Woking?
Many thanks

rakoczigabi

Hi all , I know it’s not really a Basingstoke forum but didn’t find any of those.
Yesterday was a great day. After failing my 2nd hand coordination test in last May , yesterday I was able to re take all 3 computerised Test.
I’ve practiced a lot ( bought the material in dvds ) and felt better then first time but still wasn’t sure if it’s enoigh. But did pass at the end :)
Now just need to wait for my interviews. The first should be the DMI and then the MMI.
Where can I find the best practice material for them ?
Also recruitment told me because I failed once I only have 1 chance on the interviews , so need to pass both in one go.
No too sure why but I’ve thought I’ll have my 2 goes back after the assessments. But never mind I’ll give my best.
How long is the wait for the interviews usually ? Recruitment told me it can be upto 3 years.
Also colleague of mine passed his assessment in May last year , had his interviews November / December and started his training in February 2018.
There was a guy at Southampton yesterday and he passed his assessments 2 years ago and only just been called for the DMI interview , he applied to be a Fratton driver.
I’m an internal candidate with 2years of RO2 experience so I’m fairly new to the railways.
I’ve applied to be a main line driver in Basingstoke.
Thanks and good luck everyone.

Markdev

Hi guys
Looking for a bit of info please with regards to mmi and dmi if anyone may be able to help ?
Passed all assessments recently and been told to do some homework on the company as to which i have and will but looking for info on routes please, i’ve applied for woking and basingstoke, do i need to know the routes from these places only or do i need to learn main routes from waterloo for example ?
Any help appreciated and if this has already been answered then apologies in advance, thanks
Mark

WA_Driver

What I know is that without the new timetable going ahead recruitment has slowed down the process. Don't mean to kill your hopes, just sharing what I've heard.

You are correct....but also the fact there is a shortage of Driving Instructors across the network so you will be in for a long wait.

BallaBoy

I'm in the same boat - I passed my assessments in November for Woking depot and not heard anything since.

theironroad

Established Member
As WA driver and HeelBurton have said, there is a massive wait for instructors at some depots . This has happened before and people have had to wait over 6 months for a di to become free which has stretched out the trainee training period to getting on 18 months. It's frustrating for the trainee as they just want to get on with it and pass their finals.

Last edited:

rakoczigabi

Colleague of mine passed his assessment in May 2017 and got his first interview in December. Then a few weeks after the second one. Started training in February this year.
I’ve passed my assessments in may this year and now waiting for the interviews.
Recruitment said they short with DIs so there’s a big chance I have to wait a long time till I can have my interviews, and if I’m successful an even longer wait for the training to start.
Applied to be a driver in Basingstoke , same as my ex-colleague.

Status
Not open for further replies.